Trading options with one month view

DanPickUp

It probably means the option players don't expect the Nifty to cross 6400 by expiry.

Since Vega, theta, gamma etc concepts are complicated, what you need to know is that option prices are dependent on two factors - SUPPLY and DEMAND.

In the above case, there is simply no "demand" for 6400 call option from the buyers. And whenever there is no demand, the price falls.
Well, here we have an other option pro. :lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

smartcat

I smell sarcasm in the air!

At the basic level, the price of anything that is tradable (having a buyer & a seller) in the open market is solely dependent on supply and demand.

Example 1:

A 2 year old Maruti Swift diesel might sell for Rs. 5 Lacs, but a 2 year old Tata Indica Vista diesel might sell for Rs. 3 Lacs, eventhough both had the same on-road price when they were new.

Now you can explain this phenomenon the traditional way - that is, Marutis are more reliable, better service, better build quality etc etc - and hence has a better resale value.

Or you could explain in simple economics - there simply is more demand for Maruti Swift in the used car markets. If the demand for Tata Vista is more than it is right now, would it trade at Rs. 3 Lacs? Absolutely not. Because the seller will quote more.

Example 2:

Infosys option prices are unusually high during the quarterly results. You can go on and on about implied volatility being high or you can look at the past data and say that the price moves up/down significant after the results are announced.

OR

It can be explained with basic supply/demand concept. There is simply too much demand for stangles/straddles from option buyers during results. When there is too much demand from option buyers, basic economics demands that prices have to go UP. Option sellers will step in only at a particular price.

Example 3:

During the last week of expiry, all options that are out of money start losing value rapidly. You can explain that the traditional way - time decay/delta etc etc.

OR

You can explain in the supply/demand way. When the option buyers know that a particular option strike price has lower and lower probability of earning money, demand for such options will be low. The only way the option sellers can SELL is by quoting lower prices.

For somebody who is new to options, this is perhaps the easiest concept to understand how prices work.

DanPickUp

@Smartcat

Do not worry about sarcasm. The above explanation is very well done, specially as you now use the word: OR. :thumb: Now you explained it in both ways, as both ways are finally correct and not only one. When I see something explained only from the view of one side, even there exist other kind of correct views, and it is shown as THE view, then I get sarcastic. But you clearly showed that you know both sides and that shows your understanding of how to explain how those chewing gum derivative works and is to understand. Well done.

Take care and enjoy your weekend / DanPickUp

Hi all, the index was flat till thursday as what was expected and only on friday did it move and strongly it went up. I have now view of nifty index at the current level + /- 50 points here or there, so I continue to hold my current credit spread of Sell Call 6100 and Buy Call 6200 for one more week. I would stand to gain if the market is in the range of + 50 points and - any level till the end of next week.

Reki

Last edited:

mangup

How delta neutral option strtg are worked, if one don't want to take any directional call? Can these be beneficial for a weekly or monthly holding period?

Hi, the below is transcript of my post last week when I took the below trade last friday. Trade date : 4 Oct :

My view till expiry 31st Oct : bullish
Amount willing to lose : around 2500 rupees
Credit spread taken : call credit spread
Bought 2 lots (100) of Call Nifty 6200 for 53.05 each
Sold 2 lots (100) of Call Nifty 6300 for 30.6 each
Net Debit per unit : - 53.05 + 30.6 = 22.45
Qty : 2 lots (100)
Net amount that I can lose = 2245

Plan to hold it till expiry : 31 Oct
Objective of the trade : to get feel of long term holding of a strategy and overcome fear of losing indifinite money. So basically I have purchased a lottery ticket of 2245 rupees (plus broker charge)
Currently I have no plan of making any adjustment for this strategy because I am not any expert and do not have deeper understanding of making adjustments

Today I reviewed the above trade on weekly basis and took the following action.

- The market moved in the direction of monthe end view and closed with the white weekly bar.
- The profit from the debit spread was :

Buy Call Option 6200 : 28.15 (price increase from 53.05 to 81.20 rupees)
Sell Call Option 6300 : - 15.40 (option price increase from 30.60 to 46 rupees)
Net profit : 12.75 rupees x 100 = 1275 rupees

But the above is a notional profit, because I took the following change

Though my month end view continue to be bullish, my next week view is neutral i.e. not major bullish. So it can be neutral or bearish.

So I covered Sell Call Option 6300 for 45 rupees. So one leg of my debit setup was closed. I continue to hold Buy Call Option 6200 (2 lots)

With me new weekly view I have not put another leg of Sell Call Option 6100 for 131 rupees (2 lots). So my new setup is a Call credit spread.

Now I have:

Sell Call option 6100 for 131 (2 lots)
Buy Call option 6200 for 81 (2 lots) (today's closing price - actual purchase price is 53rupees)
Profit already booked 12.75 (2 lots)

I will use the profit earned to take my position above the zero line, and once it is over the zero line, I can then continue to hold my original position with original view till month end expiry.

I feel the above adjustment made by me is in line with me short term. I have also ignored broker charge since I have taken is real trade after 6 months as a learning experience to manage trade on weekly basis with a month end view.

Reki
Hi,

My call credit spread which I took two weeks ago is as follows:

Call 6100 (2 lots) sold at 131, present price = 78 ( Gain = 53 rupeees)
Call 6200 (2 lots) bought at 81, present price = 29 ( Loss = 52 rupees)

So net gain as on yesterday weekend closing is 1 rupee. This position I took two weeks ago.

I am quite amused to see such a small gain despite holding it for two fulll weeks. Ofcourse the index has moved up by about 1.8% on two weeks closing basis. Maybe my credit spread strike were too close to the spot level (6100 - 6200 call credit spread, current spot is 6135). So a good learning, I think if the credit spread strikes would have been 6200 - 6300 or 6300- 6400 then the profit would have been much better. Good learning on strike price selection.

Reki

I have closed my position of friday at closing time, so I do not have any position for expiry week. Because initially I have view that the market will move beyond 6300 by oct end expiry, it has not shown clear sign for last three weeks. Maybe it my go above 6300 for all you know, but since there have been not such indication for last three weeks put together, I have decide to close my strategy with small profit of 12 rupees per lot which I earned in the first week itself. The 2nd and 3rd week profit was zero.

Reki

How delta neutral option strtg are worked, if one don't want to take any directional call? Can these be beneficial for a weekly or monthly holding period?
Hi Mangup, I have read about delta neutral strategies but not done such thing with real money. I have read it elsewhere in this forum that practically it is very difficult to do delta neutral strategies for small investors like us who do not have proper tools and execution speeds. I have no idea how to do it for weekly or monthly types of traders.

Reki