Trading journal/records/logbook

dhvl

Hello all,
I've been a lurker here for quite some time and have been closely following certain threads that pertain to my style of trading (reversals/breakouts). I've gathered that there are quite a lot of us who trade for a living on this forum, many of them with years of experience.

I've also found a diverse range of trading strategies being discussed here, but what I haven't seen so far is a discussion pertaining to trading journals. Sure, there are quite a lot of threads with the ubiquitous "Excel sheet" formulae to maintain records, but I'm wondering has anyone ever felt the need for something better. I myself have a tab delimited plain text file of my trades with the following

Date, time
Instrument
Volume
Entry price
SL
TG1 / TG2 / xTrailing
SL:TG ratio (risk:reward)
Risk (Rs.)
Risk% = (Risk/Equity)*100
ATR (10, M5) value
ATR (10, H1) value
Exit Price
Exit Time
Max Drawdown
Max Drawdown%
Reason for exit (esp., if exit != TGs)
Profit/Loss (Rs.)
Post-trade description of move

but have recently felt the need for something more. Something that will show me my equity curve, profit after brokerage/taxes/cess, something that will make it easier to file my IT returns every year, make it easy for me to attach a chart screenshot of each trade. Have any ideas? Any readymade software to do this? Any brokers offering such a recordkeeping feature in their custom trading terminals?

This is important because a journal is the best source of learning for any trader and a lack in this area could be quite detrimental to one's account equity, no?

Regards,
Dhaval.

trader.trends

Hi Dhaval,

Please find the Link below for Trading Organizer

Trading Organizer

Hope you can make good use of it...and add whatever else is missing....!!!

Feel free to give it to anyone who you think may need it....Always Free of Cost......!!!

SG
SG
Thanks a ton for that. Was just wondering if I am trading with only predetermined risk but not defined targets (going with the trend until I see a reversal), do we calculate, RR as a post op?

Thanks again for the brilliantly designed piece of work. Appreciate the hard work you must have put in.

SavantGarde

Hi TT,

What the Excel does is allow you to input your Trades and whatever your Exit/Target/SL and etc.... based on which it automatically calculates all other columns.... Expectancy Tab is basically Monte Carlo....and what could one expect under various conditions....!!!

Then there is the one where you need to be exorcised of your Demons... don't remember the exact Tab name..but should be 'Demon' something, if a particular entry Setup is giving you consistent Loss... you are suppose to give up that particular entry setup after the 10th Trade....If you manage to reach the 10th on each of those entry setups outlined.....Then You know what to do...:)

It's more like a bounceboard....so you analyse your own performance as if you are reading somebody else's report card......You'll be surprised how reading something in writing about your own performance... be so different from just thinking..or other people analysing your Trades....!!!

SG

SG
Thanks a ton for that. Was just wondering if I am trading with only predetermined risk but not defined targets (going with the trend until I see a reversal), do we calculate, RR as a post op?

Thanks again for the brilliantly designed piece of work. Appreciate the hard work you must have put in.

Hi TT,

What the Excel does is allow you to input your Trades and whatever your Exit/Target/SL and etc.... based on which it automatically calculates all other columns.... Expectancy Tab is basically Monte Carlo....and what could one expect under various conditions....!!!

Then there is the one where you need to be exorcised of your Demons... don't remember the exact Tab name..but should be 'Demon' something, if a particular entry Setup is giving you consistent Loss... you are suppose to give up that particular entry setup after the 10th Trade....If you manage to reach the 10th on each of those entry setups outlined.....Then You know what to do...:)

It's more like a bounceboard....so you analyse your own performance as if you are reading somebody else's report card......You'll be surprised how reading something in writing about your own performance... be so different from just thinking..or other people analysing your Trades....!!!

SG
Hi SavantGarde,

Thanks a lot for the journal. Infact very usefull than the ones i have come across.
Appreciate the efforts put forth in developing it.

Savant, i use office 2007, i m not able to insert additional rows for the "Trades" Sheet.
I did try to use all options possible.. Could u assist me with the same?

Thanks & Regards
Madhusnair

Hi SavantGarde,

Thanks a lot for the journal. Infact very usefull than the ones i have come across.
Appreciate the efforts put forth in developing it.

Savant, i use office 2007, i m not able to insert additional rows for the "Trades" Sheet.
I did try to use all options possible.. Could u assist me with the same?

Thanks & Regards
Madhusnair
SavantGarde,

Please ignore the above post. I have actually figured it out.

Thanks & Regards
Madhusnair

Raghuveer

Hi,
I recently downloaded this trading organizer. But when I try to copy and paste rows, it pastes over previous rows. I am not able to click on the number and follow instructions as per SG because those options get grayed out. Is this a version compatibility issue. Someone please help.
thanks