Trading Hours on Stock Exchanges 09:00 AM to 11:55 PM

NJ78

Hi Friends,

SEBI has allowed the stock exchanges to extend the trading hours till 11:55 PM, with effect from October 01st, 2018.

https://www.sebi.gov.in/legal/circulars/may-2018/trading-hours-on-stock-exchanges_38849.html

I feel this is very bad to trading community. It will spoil our health and maybe wealth also. We can not sit before the system 15 Hours per day.

I request you all to post your views on this new timings.
My view is pretty simple -- Trade positionally on the daily chart. The problem of long hours is solved.

Point is, for good or bad, we can't prevent SEBI from doing what it's doing. Best we can do is adapt. Either way, it remains to be seen how this whole time extension thing actiually pans out because so far, only announcements & permissions have been made. The actual implementation hasn't been done. It's a long process for brokers and I'm guessing they'll make their own case (for or against) to SEBI in the interim.

Satya.

only announcements & permissions have been made. The actual implementation hasn't been done. It's a long process for brokers and I'm guessing they'll make their own case (for or against) to SEBI in the interim.
SEBI alrdy gave Xchanges,brokers 5 months time 2 adopt or raise d objection..
frm 1st Oct,it'd get implemented

As far as I know, SEBI has merely given permission for longer trading-hours but it is up to the exchanges to decide if they want to extend their trading-hours or not; & while the exchanges seem interested in extending hours, it mayn't yet be set in stone, & if enough brokers & other interested parties make noise about it then it mayn't happen.

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
Extending timing is almost certain. IMO.

Already discussed in other thread another major reason was,
SEBI paves way for universal exchanges from OCT 2018.

NSE-BSE both eager to use the same infrastructure for both Equity F&O and Commodities as it would have cost friendly for them. This is actually biggest reason and the recent competition with SGX pushed the process faster.

There is 3 major reason now,
1. Recent competition and fight with SGX.
2. Universal Exchanges from OCT 2018. And.
3. Modi Govt wants more tax, hence the active push from Govt to extend timing.

When all above major force like NSE-BSE & Govt behind extend of the timing, it's difficult for oppositions (few brokerage houses).

In future NSE-MCX merger also possible due to competition. There was talk but the deal is not final yet. MCX will compromise only when volume drops. Still, it is wait and watch policy for MCX.

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
As far as I know, SEBI has merely given permission for longer trading-hours but it is up to the exchanges to decide if they want to extend their trading-hours or not; & while the exchanges seem interested in extending hours, it mayn't yet be set in stone, & if enough brokers & other interested parties make noise about it then it mayn't happen.
SEBI doesn't give permission on their own.
First BSE applied for permission from SEBI, then it was in the queue as NSE was taking time.
After the fight with SGX, NSE supported it wholeheartedly. And when both supported it, SEBI just give the permission very quickly.
So it is almost certain that both NSE & BSE exchanges are interested parties.

Such key decision of extension of trading hour mainly depends on exchanges. Brokers don't have much power to stop such major decision. IMO.

And there will be NO major reasons to oppose from brokers as NSE-BSE is going to provide Commodities Trading till midnight from OCT 2018 onwards. NSE-BSE just want to share the same infrastructure in a cost-friendly way to create more volume. :)

Last edited:
SEBI doesn't give permission on their own.
First BSE applied for permission from SEBI, then it was in the queue as NSE was taking time.
After the fight with SGX, NSE supported it wholeheartedly. And when both supported it, SEBI just give the permission very quickly.
So it is almost certain that both NSE & BSE exchanges are interested parties.

Such key decision of extension of trading hour mainly depends on exchanges. Brokers don't have much power to stop such major decision. IMO.

And there will be a NO major reasons to oppose from brokers as NSE-BSE is going to provide Commodities Trading till midnight from OCT 2018 onwards. NSE-BSE just want to share the same infrastructure in a cost-friendly way to create more volume. :)
I agree that exchanges do seem to be intent on extending trading-hours but brokers will have to hire more employees for support without getting much in return for it since volumes (& thereby, brokerage) aren't driven by trading-hours; extending trading-hours merely spreads out existing volumes over a longer period, it won't drastically bring in new & more volumes; stocks often move so much more than most commodities because their entire volumes are crammed into 6+ hours whereas commodity-volumes are spread out over 14 hours, hence they move very slowly. I've also heard about banking issues with respect to transfer & settlement with respect to stocks, which might mean banks might have to run until later than they do now. Anyway, we'll see how things pan out.

Last edited: