Trading Challenge - 1 (Crude oil - 1.75 L to 1 Cr in 300 trading days)

Hi SK
Thanks for starting this thread.There are very few scalpers traders here.we couldnt find more information about scalping.So its very nice of you to start this thread.
I have some query?
a) how many points of sl you keep in Crude for 4 points target?
b) how long does your trade last?
c) your method is complete objective or some discreation is also included?
d) do you have some prefer time slot for crude to trading? i.i what time do you trade crude ?

keep sharing & posting your experience & knowledge.All the best for your endeavour.
thanks

hi niftytaurus,

first - thank you for the kind words.

to be honest i am as lost as anybody out here. i am just trying to share what i have learnt on my path so far which is not much. so, please do keep in mind that what i say could be only because i see it that way and not the real thing. i hope the senior boys chip in to point out my errors when they do spot them.

i will start a few dedicated posts on what scalping is as i understand it to be and how i trade so and why i do what i do. i just managed to type a small reply after i read your post. the full reply will be too long, too big and take time for me to post so i will try to keep it segregated into various post and number them possibly so it can be of help to at least one trader out there.

good trading

(scalping - part 1)

what is scalping - to me it is basically trying to predict the next one candle on a small TF on the basis of data at your disposal or riding the candle ie joining the candle after formation and exiting before it is nearing completion. lol, best way to explain that i could think of now.
(as a day trader one usually enters at the start of the candle so scalping requires a different mindset from the day trader)

i see scalping as two types -

1) scalping the chart - which is easier comparatively and high risk

2) scalping the news - which is tough and Very high risk

now when scalping the chart you may or may not feed in limit data for buy or sell but in a news scalp you are only on market buy and sell. i hope i am making sense, wish i could explain more clearly. but you do get the drift, right

now, it is better, sensible and more so the right approach to first scalp the charts and once you attain a decent degree of competence to upgrade to the second ie scalping the news.

in scalping the chart you have an idea of where the trend is so you scalp strictly in the direction of the trend initially and trade pullbacks only after you have reached a decent level of confidence and capability.

in scalping news you ignore the chart and just watch the spikes so to say and get in and out in a matter of seconds. no way i can really explain how in words. my news scalps last no more than 10-30 seconds on an average, rarely over a minute unless i can see the spike growing in my direction.

a) i keep a win/loss ratio of 1:1 but you have to be flexible. scalpers rely on their ability to win more than they lose. that is your strength and requisite as a scalper. you cannot increase the win loss ratio as a scalper - very tough to do so. 1:1 is the basic, ideal and best scenario target. a few points here and there will happen - both on winners and losers. but generally speaking you should try and be happy with this ratio.

now you may wonder - why i choose 4 points? - why not 10? why not 20?

scalper generally wait for just 1 or max two candles in favor and boom - get out - win or loss.

so, therefore the answer to that is this - ATR of the time frame you trade - if like me, you trade the 1 min chart then the ATR is close to 5 for crude. so i choose 4 points.

you can scalp for 10 points on the 1 min chart too - but with the noise and whipsaws you will not get clean moves of 3 candles easily unless there is a trend and rarely even in times of a trend - too much noise in this 1 min TF.

if you want to go higher say 10 points then it is more sensible to trade the 15 min chart as that way it is safer. so there is the answer to why 4 points. (if you move up the time-frame beyond 3 min - to me that is short time intra-day day trading and not scalping)

so few things are clear now i guess -
win/loss to be 1:1
win ratio to be at least 60 percent to cover charity, lol. else you are break-even.
trade the 1 min or max 3 min TF
scalp charts before scalping news
that ATR decides the win/loss points ie target (in favor or against)

(i am tired now so i will try to post the rest as i can think of this tomorrow or the weekend)

crude scalps today (post inventory)

sell 5296 buy 5287 X 10 lots X 9 points = 90 points
sell 5283 buy 5277 X 5 lots X 6 points = 30 points
sell 5271 buy 5268 X 10 lots X 3 points = 30 points

sell 5261 buy 5268 X 10 lots X 7 points = -70 points

sell 5291 buy 5286 X 10 lots X 5 points = 50 points

overall 130 points gross but i get some 70 points net, lol - the price of scalping. not a bad day so far. crude was not volatile today. but then, every day is not a Sunday, lol. taking a breather for a few minutes so i am here. before i forget or get tired i thought i should post the scalp trades here and be done with this self imposed job.

crossed 20000 i guess in net profits today so cannot complain although i love the scalp money and today my scalp kitty is small so it hurts my pride, lol. but then i know i will hunt again after the 10 pm candle, lol. the night is still young and i have a full hour and some more, let us see.

Nice thread !

I just wish MCX was 24x7 like foreign markets, or we could trade foreign markets .. Sigh !!!

kingkrunal

did you mean crude oil or commodities in general?

i use investing.com to check everything on crude

crude oil inventory is declared every Wednesday usually
U.S.baker hughes rig count is declared every friday
Aluminium zinc and lead.. I was long in zinc today and lead.. looks inventory data came in and zinc stopped out while lead was in profit

Aluminium zinc and lead.. I was long in zinc today and lead.. looks inventory data came in and zinc stopped out while lead was in profit
good to know that you ended the day in green

regarding metal inventory
a) it is declared daily
b) sadly, access is limited to registered members of LME website
c) the registration i hear from various sources on the net is prohibitive to a normal trader so hardly anyone uses the live data
e) you can get a wealth of info from the LME website nevertheless but not the current data
f) post dated old inventory data is available on many websites like kitco metals, etc

i will try and put up tentative times to trade and watch out for later today in a separate post - that may help you i guess.

Last edited:
ideal time-slot to trade metals in MCX:

MCX is like a lagging market. it follows three main markets during the course of the day asf: (all times are approx obviously)

1000 hrs / open - in the direction of NYMEX close of the previous day

1100 - trend sets in and continues till 1230 approx ( as per the SHFE - Chinese market)

1300 or near-about - the giant of metals awakens and sets the tone for the day - LME traders jump on-board

1615 to 1645 - metals begin to trend stronger now or reverse from earlier direction. (first aluminium reacts then lead and finally zinc)
(1615 - first ring trade gets underway, order same always - aluminium,lead and last zinc)

1900 - 1930 trend gets real stronger or a strong reversal sets in as NYSE opens up

2030 - 2100 - things cool down due profit bookings / as LME closes for the day

2130 - 2300 - reversal sets in or the old move begins and continues till near pit closing. MCX closes but NYMEX trades away into the night.

this is just a rough sketch to give you a general idea of when to be extra cautious - this is not meant to be used towards timing entry or exit of trades.

Last edited:
day 005 -

2 lead main buy @ 148.5 , option to roll over if required or may square off if decent profit intraday

edit - exited trade @ 149.05 - got to go somewhere urgent...trading stopped for now.. some 5000 net i think, not bad.
2018-10-12 (2).png

Last edited: