To Start SIP in DSP Blackrock

Hi Gourimaya,

You can invest directly through AMC i.e. DSPBR AMC Office in your city or through a agent. Since you have shown interest of investing directly, you can consider this option.

Another alternative would be to sign up with FundsIndia. They don't charge and provide pretty good services. You can consider opening an online account if you plan to invest in more funds than DSPBR Top 100.

If not, you can always contact an agent/broker and invest through them.

Welcome to investing family. Happy Investing !!

Thanks for the reply.

If I approach AMC branch directly, is it possible to get an online account for SIP ?
Or, it is available only from service providers like Fundsindia ?

Hi Gourimaya,

You can request for an online PIN when you start the SIP. However, I couldn't understand the reasoning behind an online account if you are investing only in DSPBR Top 100. If this is the only fund you would be investing into, you will get periodic updates from CAMS and AMC.

If you plan to invest in more funds other than those provided by DSPBR, then you would require an online service provider like FundsIndia. I hope I have clarified your queries. If not, please post your specific query, which will enable us to provide the right perspective.

Happy Investing !!

Hi Gourimaya,

CAMS is a single-window gateway to MF transaction processing in India. In Simpler words, CAMS provides the backbone for customer interaction, transaction processing, keeping records etc.

In India, roughly there are 3 organizations with whom AMCs (Asset Management Companies) will be registered with for these services. CAMS, Karvy and FTAMIL. Most of the AMCs are registered with CAMS, some like UTI with Karvy and some like Franklin Templeton with FTAMIL. So when you open a SIP or transact with any AMC, you will get periodic updates from one of the aforementioned organizations. Also, these organizations keep your transaction history and act as record book keepers (single window to all AMCs).

As a customer you will be serviced through any of these, but can avail of some online services like Consolidated Account Statement which includes all the 3 organizations through CAMS.

You can read-up more about cams at http://www.camsonline.com/.

Happy Investing !!

Hello Asterix,

In fact I would like to invest in some other AMCs too. HDFC,IDFC,Reliance..
Is it possible to get a single account from CAMS for all my investments ?

How safe/reliable is CAMS ? What happens to my investments if CAMS closes down after a few years ?

Will they charge any fees for investments/maintanance ? Compared to direct investment in AMCs, will I have to pay anything extra ?

What is the difference between the services of CAMs & FundsIndia ?

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Gourimaya,

From your queries, it is apparent that you are new to MF investments. Hence, I will try and provide an overview of how this industry works and what it means for an end consumer like us. I will answer your specific queries at the end of this post.

First, let take these in one step at a time. As an investor, you decide to invest in one or more MFs through SIP route. For this, you need to apply to the AMC with an application form and a Bank mandate specifying the SIP amount, frequency and dates. You can apply directly to the AMC either online or going to their office. However, if you wish to invest in different AMCs, you need to follow this process with everyone.

An alternative to this is single gateway to invest which is either through a broker or a Investment Services Account with your bank (HDFC Bank, ICICI Direct) or through some non-commission websites like FundsIndia. It is very critical to understand the role of FundsIndia. They are nothing but brokers who will interact with AMCs on your behalf. For you as a consumer, it is simple sequence of mouse-clicks. Every fund has a fund maintainence charge / exit and entry loads attached. Out of these charges, the commission is paid out to the brokers. However, in case of Direct Investment, I am not sure if this is waived off (especially Maintainence charge). The last I checked, it wasn't the case, but would definitely love to hear from knowledgeable souls.

Now, you have applied for investment. However, there needs to be a central registrar of all your investments across different AMCs and provide a framework for transaction processing. This is where CAMS comes into the picture. In short, they are nothing but an IT-services provider and as long as AMCs function, they have business :). Another perspective of looking at this is registrar of companies. There are many companies in India all registered with Registrar. A company can close, but can a registrar close down?

CAMS achieves this cross-linking using the email id specified during registration. Off late, I have seen PAN dependency and I am sure, shortly it will be based on PAN. In general, CAMS is a window to get a snapshot of all your transactions and is very similar to getting a bank statement across different AMCs. I would definitely encourage you to read the link which I had posted earlier.

Coming to your specific queries,

Is it possible to get a single account from CAMS for all my investments ?

Asterix: YES, it is possible to a single statement (not account) from CAMS for all your invesments. Please note that your individual fund investments will have unique folio nos. and you can get a consolidated statement for all your folios from CAMS.

How safe/reliable is CAMS ? What happens to my investments if CAMS closes down after a few years ?

Asterix: I would rate CAMS as safe as a bank. Your investments are with the AMC and not with CAMS. Hence, even in the worst case, if CAMS closes down, nothing happens to your investments. Only effect may be that you may not a single statement of all your folios and may have to depend on your broker/broking window for the same.

Will they charge any fees for investments/maintanance ? Compared to direct investment in AMCs, will I have to pay anything extra ?

Asterix: NO. CAMS is an IT-services provider and will be paid by the AMCs. For an end consumer like you, it's no extra charge.

What is the difference between the services of CAMs & FundsIndia ?

Asterix: I have explained above. CAMS is a window to view your transactions or a book keeper. FundsIndia is a broker through which you invest.

Happy Investing !!

thanks aestrix you certainly cleared a lots of doubts for a first time investor like me.

Can you also guide how do i go about my 6000 rs sip plan i mean which funds, i am targeting 5 years horizon and can take risk near high.

thanks in advance :clapping:

_cesc.