Thought for the day

How very true, Vince. Each is only doing what he or she is destined to.....As Umar Khayyam said in his Rubaiyat:
'Tis but a chequerboard of Nights and Days
Where destiny, with men for pieces, plays
Hither and thither moves, mates and slays
And, one by one, back in the closet lays

sh50

Like in the mkt, in life too there are contrarian views to everything. The practical thing is that people generally do what they want to do and not what they should do and that is where all the management problems arise.

All these optimistic sayings "Have faith that , despite appearances , people are doing the best they can." are good because they keep you in a positive frame of mind but it is prudent to also mix them with a tinge of realism. Even in the mkt if you try to remain bullish or bearish all the time, you are bound to lose. Being a realist, you are likely to win. Overoptimism is full of pitfalls.

Each one is indeed doing what one is destined to. Some uneducated businessmen become billionaires and some like shakespeare, Munshi premchand, Hockey wizard Dhyanchand live a life of penury and obscurity. Talk about the vagaries of existance.

AMITBE

Hello Colonel...a beautiful quote from Omar Khayyam...I love it! :)
Our own bard, Jaideep, once wrote to me in a different context, but rather akin to Khayyam:
It's night & night alone that spells what is darkness,
'coz to know what is more you've got to know what is less;
When it dawns a new day and light drives out the night,
it'll make you still wonder who has all the might.

Is it the black or the white in the grey that you choose,
which darkens the pale or lightens the hues?
A few quizzical posers to wizards everywhere,
just answer them straight & wisely & fair.

When the end does come & the black & the white,
swallow the grey & claim their own right;
That's when you would have to cough up the score,
'coz buddy, my pal, you'll face what's in store.

It is the second stanza I'm pointing out. Nice!

Hi sh50...nice reply...and I wish you had included the great Mirza Ghalb. There's no one like him in Urdu poetry, and he lived and died in acute poverty.
This forum is so amazing. :)

Is it the black or the white in the grey that you choose,
which darkens the pale or lightens the hues?
A few quizzical posers to wizards everywhere,
just answer them straight & wisely & fair.
Very nice,Amit/Jaideep........ :)

Saint

sh50

Thanks for informing me about Ghalib, Amit. Emily Dickenson, Victor hugo are others. Those who are good at shares should thank their stars that it has a good market profile when so many stalwarts in a different profession live a lifetime of agony.

I missed the wonderful poem by Jaideep earlier. Thanks for that too. He is the only one here who can claim to be really classy.

Glad you liked it...you must read the whole Rubaiyat (as translated by Fitzgerald, if you don't know Persian)....it's really good. Jaideep too seems to have a touch of genius....lovely poetry.

In the last para, Jaideep mentions about coughing up the score when the end comes. Reminds me of a really nice one which is prominently displayed at the Hindon Golf Course (I forget who it's by):
"For in the end, when the Great Scorer comes,
He sees not whether you won or lost,
But only how you played the game"

Last edited:
coljaspal said:
In the last para, Jaideep mentions about coughing up the score when the end ccomes. Reminds me of a really nice one which is prominently displayed at the Hindon Golf Course (I forget who it's by):
"For in the end, when the Great Scorer comes,
He sees not whether you won or lost,
But only how you played the game"
Very nice..... :) .Only goes to show the abundance of talent in this forum.

Great Stuff!!
Saint

AMITBE

coljaspal said:
Glad you liked it...you must read the whole Rubaiyat (as translated by Fitzgerald, if you don't know Persian)....it's really good. Jaideep too seems to have a touch of genius....lovely poetry.
I have read it, Col. besides Fitzgerald's I remember another translation. Have a copy right here...Fitzgerald's.

Yes sh50...Victor Hugo and Emily Dickenson...and so many more.
Didn't quite get your comment on the good satrs and market profile. :eek:
That one by Jaideep is from my thread...Some Good Steals...Some posts were being exchanged once. :)