Think It Over !

murthymsr

Hi All,

I have been enjoying the humor thread started by karuna. It is a big relief for me and for many more.

Of late I was feeling that some of my postings into that thread were not really humor. While I wish to continue my appreciation of karuna's thread by posting the relevant collections to that thread, I thought I will post the ones, not relevant to humor, to this new thread. I hope that this thread gives some 'Food For Thought'.

I was enjoying the 'Think it over !' in the editorial page of 'The Indian Express'. I just took that title, this is my way of apreciation. Copying is another form of flattery.

Thanks for your time and request you all to join with your postings.

murthymsr

Last edited:

murthymsr

An old man lived alone in Minnesota. He wanted to spade his potato garden, but it was a very hard work. His only son, who would have helped him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and mentioned his situation:

Dear Son,
I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my potato garden this year. I hate to miss doing the garden, because your mother always loved planting time. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here, all my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the plot for me, if you weren't in prison.
Love, Dad

Shortly, the old man received this telegram:
"For Heaven's sake, Dad, don't dig up the garden!! That's where I buried the GUNS!!"

At 4 a.m. the next morning, a dozen FBI agents and local police officers showed up and dug up the entire garden without finding any guns.

Confused, the old man wrote another note to his son telling him what happened, and asked him what to do next.
His son's reply was: "Go ahead and plant your potatoes, Dad.. It's the best I could do for you from here.

" NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, IF YOU HAVE DECIDED TO DO SOMETHING DEEP FROM YOUR HEART YOU CAN DO IT. IT IS THE THOUGHT THAT MATTERS, NOT WHERE YOU ARE OR WHERE THE OTHER PERSON IS. MAY BE IN THIS WAY WE ALL COULD BE VERY CLOSE TO EACH OTHER IN OUR HEARTS."

Dear Murthy,
The more I read ur posts---The more I get convinced in my mind---that ,even in todays world of cut-throat competition/corruption---there do exit great souls(many of whom r present in this forum itself)----who even r separated by distant physical boundaries----r more dearer,---more closer than ---may be ---the most dearest ones----not only for their so called intellectualism-----but for their simple ways of manifesting ---the greatest truths of life----
May Nature bless u for starting---this august thread ----and may we all come more closer----for making a magnanimous--unified world--for the sake of a better tomorrow-----
Regards,
joy_mitali

murthymsr

A Chinese proverb:

If a person is hungry, give him a fish; his problem is solved for the day.
But if you teach him fishing, his problem is solved forever.

There is a little bit more in this proverb to what appears at the first glance.

There is a built-in-process of converting a learner into a teacher. None is a born teacher, as much as, none is a perpectual student.

There is a built-in-process of transfer of technology.

There is a built-in-process of transformation of a taker to a giver.

Think it over !

murthymsr said:
An old man lived alone in Minnesota. He wanted to spade his potato garden, but ...............

His son's reply was: "Go ahead and plant your potatoes, Dad.. It's the best I could do for you from here.

" NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, IF YOU HAVE DECIDED TO DO SOMETHING DEEP FROM YOUR HEART YOU CAN DO IT. IT IS THE THOUGHT THAT MATTERS, NOT WHERE YOU ARE OR WHERE THE OTHER PERSON IS. MAY BE IN THIS WAY WE ALL COULD BE VERY CLOSE TO EACH OTHER IN OUR HEARTS."
Touching words of wisdom Murthy. Right up there with the best of your's.
Nice idea too to start this thread to separate wisdom from humour. But what about wise humour or humorous wisdom? :eek: :)

murthymsr said:
A Chinese proverb:

If a person is hungry, give him a fish; his problem is solved for the day.
But if you teach him fishing, his problem is solved forever.

There is a little bit more in this proverb to what appears at the first glance.

There is a built-in-process of converting a learner into a teacher. None is a born teacher, as much as, none is a perpectual student.

There is a built-in-process of transfer of technology.

There is a built-in-process of transformation of a taker to a giver.

Think it over !
Have thought it over Murthy. Great explanation of the old Chinese proverb. No offence meant to you my friend & I know no offence will be taken by you.....I give below the verbatim translation from the original Chinese......

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime"

When we DRINK, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, lets all get drunk, AND GO TO HEAVEN !

.........Source: Irish Curses

Like I said Murthy, what do we call this.......wise humour or humorous wisdom?:D