The Guppy Multiple Moving Average

Traderji

Super Moderator
If you are using MetaStock or any other technical analysis program you can run for stock scans where the close is greater than the long term moving averages and have just crossed the short term moving averages.

Traderji said:
If you are using MetaStock or any other technical analysis program you can run for stock scans where the close is greater than the long term moving averages and have just crossed the short term moving averages.

Hi Sorry don't quite understand this part - Do you have a chart for example?

hi Sorry but don't quite get what you meant by that Traderji ..

Does it mean that if a stock closes above the short term moving averages, I will buy at the next day open?

Traderji said:

Hey thanks. That looks good :)

Do you happen to have the exploration formulae for Metastock ?

Thanks Traderji... I am now using the following in 3h chart for ForEx:
EMA 3,5,7 red
EMA 9,11,13,15 yellow
EMA 30,33,36,39,42,45,48,51,54,57,60 green

one red breakout from all yellows (EMA15) -- aggressive buy/sell entry
one red cuts the first green (EMA 30) -- conservative buy/sell entry
all reds cut first yellow (EMA 9) -- exit

Also watch out for clusters and even stacks... and distance between yellow and green band...

Throw more EMAs with multi-colors and it will give us a very effective 3D visual trading chart...
:)

sh50

This must indeed be very colorful. Would be both guppy and yuppy.

The chart traderji has attached is very clear cut. I would presume that these are buy signals for short term. since so many moving averages are involved can you specify when to buy for intermediate and long term as well.

As it is whether one should buy for long run before after 200MA is debatable since there is a school of thought which states that the real cream lies before 200MA just as in RSI the real cream is deemed between 60 and 75. If you could clarify further, it would be better since the 200MA is not a part of GMA.

I am attaching a file which shows a table of moving averages. From the ones used in guppy, it seems you have covered the intermediate trend and short term trend. Can't you specify clear buy and sell signals for whatever is possible among the three types of trends.? From your chart I would presume that short term sell would be when the price is goes below all the short term .
Intermediate buy would be above long and below short term and intermediate sell when prices crosses below all long term. All this in collaboration with other indicators ofcourse. Maybe you can fill up the blanks in the attached file.

Last edited:
Time frame is the key to your trading style... Same GMMA chart (I only use EMA 3 - 60 for GMMA; and other chart with Dawn Bolton Smith's SMA 5,15,30 and MACD 5,25,5)...

Use 5min chart to trade upto 9 hours; 1h chart to trade upto 6-12 days; 1d chart to trade upto 3-6 months... (1min chart to scalp in the direction of 30min chart)

Pick a timeframe that is suitable for your trading style (scalp, daytrade, swing or long term) to enter trades and monitor in the next timeframe to exit trades (i.e. enter in 5min chart using 1h chart direction; exit using 1h chart)...

Cheers,
--
Linuxtroll
PS! I use this to trade ForEx in Oanda's platform with real-time data feed...

Nice thread, and Hi everyone. I trade Forex, and find this forum while searching with Yahoo on the concept of moving averages. Thanks for the valuable information on MA's. Attached you can see the hourly chart of eur/usd currency pair. The relationship between the long/short-term group clearly indicates that the bears are in control.

Currently prices try to break above the long-term group, but the last hourly bar(inside the circle) could indicate a continuation pattern. However, I will short this pair on any sign of reversal candle pattern.

The first circle in the chart showed a very good shorting opportunity. Hope there are some die-hard Forex traders in this forum.

Attachments