Technical Analysis Software for Linux using Yahoo

Hi friends,

Please post your opinion and experience about technical analysis softwares that run on linux. There is a long list. Here is what I found after searching sf.net

http://sourceforge.net/search/index.php?words=%28technical+stock+chart+charting%29+AND+trove%3A%2877%29&sort=num_downloads&sortdir=desc&offset=0&type_of_search=soft&pmode=0&form_cat=18

http://www.sourcefiles.org/Financial/Stockmarket/

Its really difficult to decide which one is good. The need for a good TA software has always been felt in linux as there isn't any leader and decision is specifically difficult for new commers.

I have tried aiotrade, eclipse trader, and merchant of venice. All of them have the option of downloading EOD data from yahoo, but EOD quotes come with 1 day delay, for example, on 18th morning you get the quotes uptil 16th only and quotes are updated at 8 pm (indian time) the next day. In other words, today's (18th) EOD quotes will be available only by tomorrow (19th) 8 pm. Is there a way to rectify it? Can we use NSE consolidate data from www.nseindia.com?

Also, in yahoo.com, there are 2 symbols of most scrips, one is with ".NS" extension and another one with "_a.NS" extension (i.e., TCS.NS and TCS_a.NS). Could anybody please tell me the difference.

Another program, Market Analysis System" seems to be the most popular as it has the highest number of downloads, but I was not able to work with it. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for reading and posting your comments.

Ravi S Ghosh

I'm off late using Ubuntu Linux , finding QtStalker to be good . Will post in detail about its usage!
If in doubt do post here.

anbu

lvgandhi

I'm off late using Ubuntu Linux , finding QtStalker to be good . Will post in detail about its usage!
If in doubt do post here.

anbu
I think Ravi S Ghosh already uses it. He has some contribution to it also. Buy I also agree that is the best freeware with user doable good and fast scanning facilities.

Dear Ravi,
Yahoo data is highly unreliable. I have seen many times SBIN values given by Yahoo was not correct and didn't match with that of NSE. I use bash script for downloading and making a data file compatible with qtstalker, FCharts and Fibotrader requirements. Of course for FCharts I remove Name field.