Systematic Investment Plan

Reliance Securities, the Equity Broking arm of Reliance Capital announced yet another launch of their new Product - Regular Stock Purchase Plan (RSP Plan), a plan wherein retail investors get an opportunity to invest in their favourite stocks and ETF's of choice in a systematic manner and over sustained periods. The said period could be Daily, Weekly or monthly stretched over a year and more.

Regular Stock Purchase Plan offers a SIP (Systematic Investment Plan) like option to customers to invest in the Equity Market. This helps in accumulating wealth by making small, regular investments over a period of time. RSP plan allows you to buy scrips for a regular interval over a period for specified amounts or defined quantities.

"Basically, one cannot time the markets We can never predict the market movements precisely and decide when would be the right time to invest. Buying regularly helps average out the ups and downs of the market. Invest a small amount regularly in any fundamentally good company and 'accumulate wealth' along the way. Through RSP plan, customers get an option to invest at a regular interval from the plethora of scrips that are available in the scrip basket that is offered by Reliance Securities",

RSP plans offers two options for Equity Investments, amount-based and quantity-based. Under the amount based RSP plan customers can invest a fixed amount in the desired stocks at the set frequency, and under the quantity based a fixed quantity at the set frequency is purchase.

"The preliminary research on the product has been very promising. they have got 5,000 enrolments in the Ist week itself and plan to take this number to 10,000 by the end of the first month itself",

pls share ur views????????????????

HI,
I have invested in the following funds since last year.
1. UTI-UNIT LINKED INSURANCE PLAN - 10 YEAR PLAN ( one time invested 48344 Rs/-)
2. UTI - DIVIDEND YIELD FUND GROWTH OPTION (1000/month)
3. UTI-EQUITY FUND (Formerly UTI-Mastergain Unit Scheme) - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
4. UTI-MNC FUND - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
5. UTI-MASTER VALUE FUND - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
6. UTI OPPORTUNITIES FUND - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
Please suggest how much return I can get after 5 years and whether these are ok to my porfolio or not.

I have invested(SIP) in the following funds since 2 years;

1. HDFC EQUITY FUND (D-RI) - Rs5000
2. RELIANCE REGULAR SAVINGS (D-RI) - Rs5000
3. SBI MAGNUM EQUITY (D-RI)- Rs5000
4. SBI MAGNUM SECTORAL FUNDS UMBRELLA CONTRA (G)- Rs5000
5. RELIANCE DIVERSIFIED POWER (G)- Rs5000
5. DSP BLACK ROCK WORLD GOLD REGULAR PLAN (D-RI)- Rs5000

I plan to invest from this year additional 5000/ each in DSP BlackRock Small and Mid Cap Fund Reg (G) and IDFC Premier Equity Fund - Plan A (G).

Guys, appreciate your feedback on the portfolio before I further renew for another year.

HI,
I have invested in the following funds since last year.
1. UTI-UNIT LINKED INSURANCE PLAN - 10 YEAR PLAN ( one time invested 48344 Rs/-)
2. UTI - DIVIDEND YIELD FUND GROWTH OPTION (1000/month)
3. UTI-EQUITY FUND (Formerly UTI-Mastergain Unit Scheme) - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
4. UTI-MNC FUND - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
5. UTI-MASTER VALUE FUND - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
6. UTI OPPORTUNITIES FUND - GROWTH PLAN (1000/month)
Please suggest how much return I can get after 5 years and whether these are ok to my porfolio or not.
Suggest avoid UTI. They are very customer unfriendly, esp in schemes where Karvy has been given the task to manage the refunds etc.

My father had invested > 1 lakh in one leadership fund. When he expired UTI guys told me that that there was a lockin for three years so it could only be transfered to my name. This appears to be wrong because in case of death it is logical that the amount has to be settled. So they transfered the fund to my name.

Now three years are over and I have applied at least three times and visited three / four times the UTI office to get refund. They have outsourced this a Karvy who have a desk in their office. They give extremely silly answers. Once they returned the application saying that I should submit only between 1st and 5th. Once when I went personally to heir Chennai Office, UTI manager directed me to Karvy desk saying he could not do anything. The Karvy guy is generally missing from his desk. When he came after an hour he told me computer is down, please come tomorrow!

Who has the time in today's world for visiting offices twice? If you are working in UTI or Karvy, you may have.

After that I decided never to invest with UTI.

Best of luck

Rajeev

Re: OneTime Investment vs SIP

SIP works well only in a downward biased market . In a bull run SIPs perform badly. SIP outgo should be reduced in a highly valued market and should be increased in a bear or undervalued/downtrend market.

All the examples makes no sense when you look at the performance of majority of the funds(85-90%) that are available, the SIPs in these funds over a long period(3+ years) have not yielded anything better than fixed deposits :(

SIP Vs OneTime Investment

It is well known fact that SIP (rupee cost averaging) is great for achieving good returns. It is better suited to volatile markets. In a bullish market SIP may not return best returns compared to

OneTime Investment. 2006 was a bullish year and the returns delivered from SIP are not the best compared to OneTime Investment.

Example:
Fund Name : Sensex Index Fund

OneTime Investment:
Investment Date : Jan 1, 2006
Investment Amount: Rs 1,20,000/-
Value on Jan 1, 2007 : Rs 1,72,653/-
Percentage Gain : 30.5 %

SIP:
Investment Amt: Rs 10000/- on 1st of Everymonth -Totalling Rs 1,20,000/-
Value on Jan 1, 2007 : Rs 1,46,643/-
Percentage Gain : 22.2 %

In the year 2006(bullish), SIP the above fund returned 22% as compared to 30% of OneTime Investment. So, it clearly shows that in a bullish market SIP might not be a best idea. But what happens if the market crashes the next day you have invested your money. , then SIP is the best one to average the cost.

To evaluate this, I have done a simulation on SIP and OneTime Investment. I'm pleased to provide the results. Please let me know your opinions on this.

Assumptions:
1. Market movement is assumed to be random with equal chance profit and loss
2. Monthly profit/loss range is limited to -10% to 10%
3. This analysis holds for period of 1 year

Method:
OneTime Investment:Rs 1,20,000 /- is invested at one go in the market at NAV of Rs 10/-
SIP : Montly Rs 1000/- is invested at NAV which is calculated on random function (-10% To 10% profit ) - totalling Rs 1,20,000/- for one year.
At the end of 12 months, the final amount is calculated in both investments (OneTime and SIP)
Since the market is based on random movement with equal chance of profit and loss, at the end of year, either SIP or OneTime investment perform better than the other.

This whole action( I call it one Trial) is simulated for 100000 times. This method results the outcome of 100000 simulations and which one performs better most of the times.

Resuts:
Out of 100000 simulations, 21074 times( i.e 1 out of 5 trail ) OneTime Investment gave high returns compared to SIP. And SIP scores over OneTime Investment in 78926 times ( i.e 4 out of 5 trials).

Another comparision of performance of OneTime and SIP investments for 100000 trails.
In 54,082 trials, OneTime investment gave negative returns, while SIP method gave negative returns for 26189 times for one year investment This explains the events, if the market crashes after oneTime investment.

There is one more interesting factor, OneTime investment gives high returns (over 30%) more number of times than SIP investment assuming bullish markets.

Please find the attached screenshot of the details.

All these simulations consider a time frame of 1 year. The probability of greater returns for OneTime and SIP is 1:4,
If the timeframe is increased to 5+ years, then the probability of greater returns for OneTime and SIP is 1:2

Conclusion:
As per the above analysis, SIP scores over oneTime investment. If you have huge amount to invest, Better invest regularly in small amounts using SIP in Equity.

Comments are welcome. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Avoid DSP Tiger and Rel Infra. Replace them with ICICI Pru Dynamic or Discovery and Quantum LTE.

Other good funds are DSP Equity and Fidelity Equity.

On another note, if your SIP amount (Rs 5000/-) is executed in one day of a month then better spread it across 4 or 5 dates. There are even daily SIPs available for as low as Rs 100 per day. I recommend this because in an oscillating market you will get better averaging through daily/weekly SIPs . If monthly is the options available then go for Rs 500/1000 on 5 different dates. Some may argue that in the long run it does not matter, but my experience shows otherwise.

Another thing to note is if market valuations are running higher better reduce your SIP outgo and vice versa. Definitely this will work better than regular fixed SIPs of large amount.

I think investors may start to correct the feverish run made on US stocks last week and they will return that money into gold this week. Hopefully that is a correct analysis. Am I way off on this one, because with marketsworld.com like all binary options sites, although you can double your money when right, you also lose the entire investment when wrong, so I would love to hear anyone's opinion on this theory for gold.