Symphony Presto discussion

mechtrader

Hi all,

I am writing this post under a lot of emotions of frustration, disgust, anger etc.
I was always a big supporter and promoter of symphony from the day i subscribed till date. I agree that they provide a good service and are among the top in their respective field, they also had a few glitches here and there which i always ignored because small random glitches here and there are inevitable.

But, I faced a glitch today for the whole day. I am not able to trade today at all because of some unknown reasons and as people of their senior management visit this thread and also public can see this thread, I would like to put forward some concerns.

1) A 5min downtime is acceptable, but a whole day down is a disaster. This is the first day in my trading career that i have not traded.
2) Only 3 people faced the dowtime today and for the rest it worked fine, so it was definitely something which could have been avoided.
3) I would seriously like to know the reasons for the downtime. I suffered an opportunity loss of 5 times your annual subscription. And i am not a big trader yet. How would you justify it.
4) If this is the way its going to be, then i guess professional traders might have to think twice before taking your services.
5) What remedial measures are you going to take after today's fiasco, so that it never happens again.
6) Why dont you keep 2-3 systems extra so that if some particular person if facing a issue, u should transfer him to that machine.
7) I should not reiterate as you should already know that in this business few minutes are also very crucial. How can you shut services for an entire day, isnt it against your ethics.
8) If subscription cost is an issue, you always have the option to increase them, but to provide excellent services is your duty and liability.

I demand answers from the symphony people on this. I know i might have sounded harsh but you can relate to me if you were in my place.

Thanks,
MT

balab

Mech,
It's a big day to miss. I can understand the pain. Even I faced issues on important days and could not restart the strategy once it developed a bug. I'm not very happy with the level of reliability given the charges and investment made into the system. Certainly I expect it to be world class at this level of trading and with the expected client base Symphony has.

Cubt

Algo Trader
I was not aware of this issue, don't know what has happened. Throughout the day, I was able to place trades through symphony, if the problem is symphony server, then you can try Amazon server. I have been using Amazon VPS,installed ami fuse in Amazon and presto dashboard is installed on symphony server. Did not face any issue so far.

mithoon

I was not aware of this issue, don't know what has happened. Throughout the day, I was able to place trades through symphony, if the problem is symphony server, then you can try Amazon server. I have been using Amazon VPS,installed ami fuse in Amazon and presto dashboard is installed on symphony server. Did not face any issue so far.
What kind of latency do you see when you ping Symphony server from Amazon server

TradeOptions

@Cubt, since Amazon VPS is quite different from other vendors, which charge a fixed monthly fee, could you please tell a bit about the kind of monthly bill that you end up paying to Amazon ? I think they charge hourly. So do you keep your VPS running 24 hours, or you turn it on only during markets ?

I am trying to see how much will it cost for Amazon VPS for auto trading purpose. Their pricing plans look quite complicated -
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

So many different instances and different pricing methods. So if some traderji member is already using their service, then could clarify a lot for other members, to calculate the average monthly cost, that should be expected for a reasonable good vps configuration ex 4 vCPU, 4 GB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive etc.

Thanks a lot

TradeOptions

Hi all,

I am writing this post under a lot of emotions of frustration, disgust, anger etc.
I was always a big supporter and promoter of symphony from the day i subscribed till date. I agree that they provide a good service and are among the top in their respective field, they also had a few glitches here and there which i always ignored because small random glitches here and there are inevitable.

But, I faced a glitch today for the whole day. I am not able to trade today at all because of some unknown reasons and as people of their senior management visit this thread and also public can see this thread, I would like to put forward some concerns.

1) A 5min downtime is acceptable, but a whole day down is a disaster. This is the first day in my trading career that i have not traded.
2) Only 3 people faced the dowtime today and for the rest it worked fine, so it was definitely something which could have been avoided.
3) I would seriously like to know the reasons for the downtime. I suffered an opportunity loss of 5 times your annual subscription. And i am not a big trader yet. How would you justify it.
4) If this is the way its going to be, then i guess professional traders might have to think twice before taking your services.
5) What remedial measures are you going to take after today's fiasco, so that it never happens again.
6) Why dont you keep 2-3 systems extra so that if some particular person if facing a issue, u should transfer him to that machine.
7) I should not reiterate as you should already know that in this business few minutes are also very crucial. How can you shut services for an entire day, isnt it against your ethics.
8) If subscription cost is an issue, you always have the option to increase them, but to provide excellent services is your duty and liability.

I demand answers from the symphony people on this. I know i might have sounded harsh but you can relate to me if you were in my place.

Thanks,
MT
mechtrader bro, please keep us updated, whatever response they give to you in this regards. I am really shocked to see this. If this is the level of service from one of the Best Professional Vendors in this field, then what can we expect from the typical cheap retail algo trading vendors ! If symphony does not fix such issues and have fully redundant infrastructure in place, so that such event does-not happen again, then that would be very unprofessional on their part.

Secondly I would also want to know, what is the procedure that Symphony clients would follow in this scenario -
Algo trading working fine in the morning and there are 10 open positions in the market, in different stocks. And then at around 2 pm, all of a sudden, there is no connectivity with Symphony because of some glitch !

Then what will you do ? Is there some straight forward way to liquidate all the open positions ? or will you be totally stuck with open positions without any control in your hand ? Please clarify this risky scenario.

And hopefully Symphony takes your issue seriously and fixes it permanently.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

mechtrader

mechtrader bro, please keep us updated, whatever response they give to you in this regards. I am really shocked to see this. If this is the level of service from one of the Best Professional Vendors in this field, then what can we expect from the typical cheap retail algo trading vendors ! If symphony does not fix such issues and have fully redundant infrastructure in place, so that such event does-not happen again, then that would be very unprofessional on their part.

Secondly I would also want to know, what is the procedure that Symphony clients would follow in this scenario -
Algo trading working fine in the morning and there are 10 open positions in the market, in different stocks. And then at around 2 pm, all of a sudden, there is no connectivity with Symphony because of some glitch !

Then what will you do ? Is there some straight forward way to liquidate all the open positions ? or will you be totally stuck with open positions without any control in your hand ? Please clarify this risky scenario.

And hopefully Symphony takes your issue seriously and fixes it permanently.

Thanks a lot
They have given me no satisfactory answer that why such an issue took place.They just said it was a internal connectivity issue which went away after a restart at the end of the day. They couldnot restart during the day as others would have also lost connectivity.
I will try to dig deep that why was there a connectivity issue and what could be done to sort this.
In response to your query, it had happened in past that i had open positions and there was connectivity issue, but they always told me it will be resolved in 10 mins or so. Also, if i want i can cancel my positions by calling the brokers office.

Thanks,
MT

Cubt

Algo Trader
Amazon provides 750 hours free usage per month for first one year. So I just switch on server during market hours, still I end up using less than 750 hours in a month. The configuration provided by Amazon is more than enough to run amibroker for live trading.

Last edited: