Stock Management - What features you like to have

Friends,

I am in the process of developing a simple Stock Management Tool. I would like to have your comments, suggestions and ideas on it.

My main idea is it should be a replacement tool for Excel and having our own Indian Flavour.

Some of the ideas in My Mind;

1. To track the Buy/Sell Stocks. ( EOD and Real-Time if possible)
2. Provide comprehensive Money Management
3. Provide different Trading Techinques (like Poistion Sizing)
4. WatchList of Favourite Stocks (should be customizable based on sectors, industries, any other parameters - please suggest)
5. Daily Report (includes performance against Previous Day)
6. Auto-Update feature (read and write Stock data from or to popular chart software like MetaStock, AmiBroker, FCharts etc etc)
7. Pivot Point Calculator for Favourite or watch list stocks
8. Statistical Scenarios or any simulation kind of thing (i need to think more on this)

Please let me know your sincere ideas, suggestions and comments.

I need your heartful contribution to make this happen.

Satya

karthikmarar

Satya

It is a great idea. If this idea is implemented it will be a boon to the Indian small investor/ trader. Wishing you the very best in your endeavor.

Warm regards

Karthik

Its quite interesting, i made a similar software recently.

• stores all trades done. and then gives the overall portfolio. (database)
  • gets rates, either real-time or with a 15-minute delay.
  • since its real-time, you can roughly give limits when it should remind you to buy or sell
  • no technical indicators though, i believe way more in fundamental analysis.
  • therefore, made a whole section for downloading balance sheets, p&l, directors report or the whole annual report in pdf. 2 sources for all these.
  • im also into portfolio management, so theres also provisions for adding clients or corpus's and getting respective weighted returns
  • by getting historical data, both bse and nse, added a portfolio returns graph. find this quite cool.

im always looking to add on to my program, so found your post quite refreshing.
what exactly did you mean by 'Statistical Scenarios'.
and 'Pivot Point Calculator'.
lastly, which language are you coding it in?

once im happy with the end-product i'll put it up here for downloading.

Hi Satya,
Have finally been successful tonight in isolating all company's data----from Nse--bhacopies---as downloaded by data extractor----by my utility---in yahoo format--
Would be sending u the 1st copy before posting--
By the way---best of my wishes---in the development of the trading system---I m also thinking in the same line---for some time
Have some bugs still---in my utility---
Will see with the Nity---grities---
Regards,
joy_mitali

skulk said:
Its quite interesting, i made a similar software recently.

im always looking to add on to my program, so found your post quite refreshing.
what exactly did you mean by 'Statistical Scenarios'.
and 'Pivot Point Calculator'.
lastly, which language are you coding it in?

once im happy with the end-product i'll put it up here for downloading.
skulk,

I will answer point-by-point

1.Statistical Scenairos: looks at murthys Thread "Aces in the Deck"
2. Pivot Points : are imaginery prices for the Next Day based on today's OHLC, its gives us virtual Support and Resistance Points

2. I am currently developing it on Visual Basic

Also, I would just like to see your software too. which soft you are using it?

Satya

joy_mitali said:
Hi Satya,
Have finally been successful tonight in isolating all company's data----from Nse--bhacopies---as downloaded by data extractor----by my utility---in yahoo format--
Would be sending u the 1st copy before posting--
By the way---best of my wishes---in the development of the trading system---I m also thinking in the same line---for some time
Have some bugs still---in my utility---
Will see with the Nity---grities---
Regards,
joy_mitali

Joy,

great going my friend, let me know if you need anything from me. Its very good from your side to come up with such things.

Satya

Hello Satya,
A few bugs have caught my eyes,---will soon send u after rectifing them---
Also, Thanks-----for ur readiness to help---in fact--I will have to ask u a few things actually----Will be in touch with u soon--
Regards,
joy_mitali

murthymsr

Hi satya,

Thanks, for your invitation to indicate the features one would like to have in a stock management software.

well, my list is endless, but a few of them:

A) System:
1. May work on all flavours of 32 bit windows OS.

2. May have facility to save environment to a file like .INI, so that, one can use two copies of SW on his 2 computers (say, home and office) and as he moves only the .INI file is to be transported so that he need not reenter the whole data.

B) Data sources:
1. may get data from NSE, yahoo (logged-in : Live) and also Quote tracker broadcast service. ... user selectable.

C) Layout, Features and more:

1. May accommodate multiple tabbed sheets for different portfolios / Held or monitored stocks, all in one instance of sw running, with facility to move from tabbed window to another with all asociated inputted data.

2. Alternate rows in different colors for readability.

3. colored display of last price red/green comparing to prevoous close as well as just the previous tick(in a different cell.

4. One extra column so that user may enter whaever he wants to enter about that record.

5. Column width may be adjustable, column movable relatively across the window.

6. columns may be sortable, in three modes... increasing, decreasing and as entered (chronological)

7. Entries may be grouped with sorting facility within each group. Each group can be used for each industry; stovks, fututes, index etc.

8. One column may show Nifty/Index relative price change in %.

9. column totals, group-wise and grand totals.

10. Display of annualised returns as in yahoo.

11. Brokerage may have a % basis= subject to a minimum, fixed amount or a combination.

12. two levels of alerts on either side with notification options to window coming up, beep, audible sound, remote e-mail facility, sms facility (through yahoo)

13. A few zero based integration indicators, like when the tick price increases, the indicator will be incremented by 1 and when the tick price decreases than the previous, the indicator will be decremented by one. A few such simple technical indicators on price, volume, price*volume can be provided as TA tools. (Am i crazy?)

These are afew of the features i love to have in my SMS (Stock management software). Some of them are NOT available even on my favourite software.

I know very well that asking for features is very easy, but not providing the same. You may provide as possible.

I wish you 'All the best' in all your endeavours.

murthymsr