Spirituality and ShareMarket

Dearest Sh50,
U r really unstopable!!! Plz,carry it on "SIR"(Sorry! But I cannot stop saying it !This "SIR" is neither the word of the so called appretiation from a junior to a senior,nor is it to show the petty respect---it is a word uttered "FOR" a true human "FROM" another fellow human,--from HEART to HEART--SOUL to SOUL!)

To ur quotes of Swami Vivekananda,I just add another one from him--"Arise!Awake!Stop not ,till the goal is reached."

And this is one of the hardest tasks of life--to know what one's goal truely is:--as has been rightfuly said by u--"In some extreme cases, "know thyself" can take a lifetime."

I do not really have any words to spell out----nor do I not wish to spoil the santity of this thread,by writing trash just for the sake of arguing.It is a pleasure and a previledge to go through ur compilations. Whether I agree to everything u say or not,---the ultimate bottomline remains the same---
Truth is more a journey than a destination
A great truth is a truth whose opposite is also a truth

I would really like to meet u some day,in the near times,whenever I am in DELHI.
Hope ,u will continue with this topic,until I (or may be someone else)has something
concrete to comment upon.

Regards,
joy_mitali

Dearest sh50 and all other respected members of the forum,
It's just that, it's already so late,I am not feeling like going to sleep.Tonight I was reading a poem "IF" by Rudyard Kipling,which I would like to share with u all---

IF - by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting;
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating;
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings- nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

This poem has already become one of my fovourites(Thanks again,to my wife ,Mitali)
If we can follow at least half of what's been specified above,I sincerely hope that we can really live in perfect harmony with the stockmarket and not dance on its tunes.

Regards,
joy_mitali

sh50

Very nice additions, Joy:-

As I see more and more of your posts, my dear Joy
You sound more and more like Raja Ram Mohan Roy
Unfortunately, there are many who fiddle with spirituality as if it were a toy
Such tendencies tend to annoy

The stockmarket is a good practice for that entire poem by Mr Kipling. My favorite is "Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, the courage to change what I can and the wisdom to know the difference"

I feel that this one sentence in essence represtents all spirituality like that other great message," This too shall pass" and needless to mention, the stokckmarket is a good practice for both.

I had earlier written about profound thought and organization for all good deeds. In the latest India Today, actor Vivek oberoi has been castigated by many for flattering to decieve with regard to tsunami victims. Even if he did it for publicity, sometimes celebrity presence helps. However without proper organization it was bound to fall flat on its face which it did.

This maynot be so representative of the mkt and is there in another post but worth repeating:-

I asked God for strength that I may achieve
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for health that I may do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I may do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty .that I might be wise.

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need for god.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.

I read somewhere that even if you are right only 40% right in the mkt, with good money management, you can earn well. The above poem reperesents the fact about things not going your way(frequent occurence in the mkt) more than anything esle:-

I asked for the ability to spot breakouts and trends
The market went a lot against me to force me to introspect & make amends.

More on spirituality-mkt connection later.

Last edited:

sh50

To borrow from my friend creditviolets Design a system from scratch

System 1 makes an average of 250 points per trade but only trades 4 times a year.
System 2 only makes an average of 10 points per trade but trades 200 times a year.

System 1 makes 1,000 pts a year but system 2 makes 2,000 points a year. However if we allow 5 pts per trade for commission and slippage then system 1 costs 20 pts/year whereas system 2 costs 1,000 pts/year.
Credit goes on to explain that there is no right or wrong all al depends on individual.

However what is given above for system 1represents Paretos law, 20% of the causes lead to 80% of the results

My cousin brother-in-law when he comes to the US instead of going to meet relatives individually throws a grand party himself. He told me once, On the face ot it , it may be costly moneywise but when one considers the time, money and energy requited to meet people individually, this is far better. This is an excellent example of spiritual management because there is less stress and more peace and happiness which is what spirituality is. In the past , joint marriages of siblings was arranged similarly. Electricity losses in power transmission companies also lose through many small thefts and lighting companies try to reduce the watt losses. Even in the household it is not uncommon to hear ladies scream , Why cant everybody eat at one time? so that the administrative effort in serving the food in optimized.

The principles of yoga also say that unless you know how to conduct yourself in the real world, doing Yoga and meditation and other tools of meditation can only have marginal effect. There is a Darshana Centre in Baroda which has a unique meditation which explains how the forces are scattered in the subconscious mind and require a central focus for optimum functioning. I also used to get stray ideas on the connection between the mkt and spirituality but Mr Mitali forced a focus by initiating the post.

Dale Carnegie has said in one of his books, You cant win an argument. However there are times when one is forced to take a stand and like in the mkt no one strategy works all the time. Whether argument or any other thing or the mkt, one has to choose ones battles in life and only focus on the big ones( Let the profits run) Squandering resources does not get anyone anywhere. Henri Ford used to say that he never stood when he could sit and never sat when he could lie down. If it could only be clearly said so for the mkt but jokes apart, energy management comes closest to spirituality.

From an investment perspective, diversity may reduce adversity but from a trading perspective I think it is better to focus on a few or maybe only nifty as many people are doing

sh50

Lifes complexity demands some sanity, some predictability and some dependability . Increased volatility, velocity, uncertainties and complexities make us drift like straw in a storm. Doesnt the second sentence remind us of the good old market. However when one considers that the mkt is trending only one- third of the time and one would like to believe that there is more movement and volatility in a trending market, overall the market is spiritual( Calm for two-thirds of the time)

It also reminds you of Oshos . Life is not linear but dialectical. Nothing can have perpetual linearity. In real life though one progresses more when one moves sideways and thinks out of the box.

Another very good statement, Change is the only constant in life . Who can mirror that than the market- the best lesson in change management but the best lesson remains circumspection. Considering that there is no holy grail, everything is useful and relevant in a certain context- this is the best lesson from the market.

Joy Mittal
Well written subject and quite absolutely covering wide range of actions of the persons and the emotions submitted.The spirtuality which explained from present day guru to the eternal ones are really praise worthy.The spirtuality is what is created for everyones comfort,excellence and both you to Sh50 has given the reader great comfort and inspired creativity but ultimately the entire subject ends with the result,the result not for oneself but in holistic mark. I am very happy to be in the company of such learned and creative perons. May God bles you all. With regards .

joy_mitali said:

After all our very existance is a case of probablity- -- wehave to accept this fact even though how hard we try to deny it.Similarly the movement of the Stock Market is a case of probablity--great mathameticians and economists have all accepted this fact ,and have tried to give various problastic interpretations.

I do not agree with joy_mitali when she says that our very existance is a case of probability. There is more to this existance than probability- something to do with cause and effect.

sh50

Interesting analogies about existence. I got an interesting thought.

Take the Bhagvad gita itself. One of the foremost leesons of the Gita is" Do your karma and don't worry about the result". Considering the facts that markets are unpredictible, trading is a good practice for applying the Gita. This is particularly so when one considers the fact that the mkt can go against you any time which is quite frequent.

As for investing, even if one considers a two year time frame, it automatically entails distancing oneself from the fruits somewhat. Nishkam karma applies quite well here because in other fields, the probability of fruits after the effort is much more than the market.

Condisering that the Lord was preparing Arjuna for battle, there is another interesting analogy. Alexander Eleder,"Trading is the most dangerous human endeavour, short of war .

Creditviolet had earlier given this link of how trading is like a battle and how to apply Sun Tzu's princinples in trading

http://www.strategies-tactics.com/suntzu.htm

In any war, one has to try and be dispassionate which is essential for trading and since that is the lord expounds in the Gita, it applies here too. I even have Sunzu's the art of spiritual warfare from which one can draw more anallogies.

In the above link there is a summary at the bottom from which I want to throw light on :-

"Opportunistic Flexibility In Adapting Strategies And Tactics To Situation"
"Suitability Of Strategies And Tactics To Situation"

This is what Lord Krishna stood for from his own conduct by the manner in which he got Yudhishtir to lie, the way Karna died etc. This is what optimization teaches and the fact that there is no holy grail is one of the biggest lessons of life itself. Yet one comes across pple with sweeping statements and overconfidence.

Last edited:
Spirtuality and share Market

Worthy topic to understand ,economic appears to be very easy to which stock market is part of but when it come to giving the future of economics most of the geart economist fail, this eco is subject which is very fast changing and its prediction can be given once u are close to universal mind , to be part of universal mind u have to know the world at large withits mystic sense consciousness,awareness,minds emotions ,intellect and wisdom which is the pragmatic of studying spirtutality as our spirit cannot be enlighted unless v understand laws of the worlds ,nature,universe ,cosmos, the Unknown The Holy One . As we tread the path we get to intutive strength and our hunch gets more and more clear, The best book to understand the trinity Mind Father Lord is in your small text book written by Rrshi Patanjali having 196 verses with simple sanskritised hindi. The book is available in many ashram as this is key book for the science of mediation.These sutras are most authentic verses written with experiential knowledge in the state of meditation to ascetain the meaning ,in input output of the knowledge seeked by the meditator. The milestone depicted for the practitioner of mediation and to which level has the native reached. The verses also explains the hypothesis,theory principles of unanswered questions such as purpose of life ,goal of life, the meaning of soul, the def.of god ,universal mind the human mind its application with respect to universe diverse energies and cosmic energies merging together.The meditator also gets to know first hand knowledge of the presence of Self , the being -in being with respect to world.The native after going through the verses and with level of understanding reaches a level of purity perfection,excellence and dynamism not aggresive and see the world as one family in form of unitive energy and knowledge.Stock market is great for one who has predictable character or analytical character in worldy terms and once u loose u undertand more the game that is the beautyof the market, unless you loose you can taste the victor. With regards and gratitude to all my readers and net fraternity.

Last edited: