Soon to be a PhD in Engineering. Should I enter trading?

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get into trading, and would like to request a bit of advice from all you experts out there.

I am 33yrs old, and am soon to finish my PhD in engineering. My bank balance and savings are almost nil though because I had some loans etc. to pay off. On the bright side, I am close to securing a 22-25lakhs per annum CTC job offer. Growth prospects seem good too.

I have read some articles, research papers, and a book on Quantitative Finance, and the field of trading has piqued my interest. I would like to trade for personal pleasure (or pain!!), but more importantly for money (I want to be able to afford to buy a decent home sometime soon, but the real estate prices are just SCARY :mad:)

I fully understand that trading is very hard skill to learn, and will demand long hours to be put in (I possess strong programming, mathematics and statistics skills, and that may help a bit though). My day job is likely to take up about 60hrs per week though, and will likely make life harder.

So given all this, does it make sense for me to enter trading? Since I am already 33yrs of age, and have nothing in the form of savings, I am a little worried, and am thinking about giving trading a decent shot.

Thank you very much for your time and attention! I look forward to hearing from you all.

whisky

Do job for sometime to gain good capital which is must to enter this business. Start learning trading technicals along with job.

jagankris

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get into trading, and would like to request a bit of advice from all you experts out there.

I am 33yrs old, and am soon to finish my PhD in engineering. My bank balance and savings are almost nil though because I had some loans etc. to pay off. On the bright side, I am close to securing a 22-25lakhs per annum CTC job offer. Growth prospects seem good too.

I have read some articles, research papers, and a book on Quantitative Finance, and the field of trading has piqued my interest. I would like to trade for personal pleasure (or pain!!), but more importantly for money (I want to be able to afford to buy a decent home sometime soon, but the real estate prices are just SCARY :mad:)

I fully understand that trading is very hard skill to learn, and will demand long hours to be put in (I possess strong programming, mathematics and statistics skills, and that may help a bit though). My day job is likely to take up about 60hrs per week though, and will likely make life harder.

So given all this, does it make sense for me to enter trading? Since I am already 33yrs of age, and have nothing in the form of savings, I am a little worried, and am thinking about giving trading a decent shot.

Thank you very much for your time and attention! I look forward to hearing from you all.
Pls complete your PHD.
Get a job..
Settle your loans ..

Mean while start learning TA in free time.

Once you are sufficiently learned TA Then start demo trading in demo trading platforms like GCI-Mt4.

Then think of trading small.
In the current situation I am sure if you start trading you will add more to your financial crisis.

oilman5

Sir,
i am trying to give honest reply (not goody goody view)............
u r not suitable for trading.
YOUR path tells any experienced trader(2 already told)- u can never learn trading.
Its about 10yr takes to learn it. Time is against you.Other pt.
1] ur engg background dont allow to be a loser.So u hold loss/and lose 100%.
2] u read -ive books, very harmful as a trader.Quant is a gimic.(i have seen in reality/and many a socalled programmer- a total novice in real trading) maxm by utilzing that concept possible to reach upto trade-puncher.
3] u have shown -greed driven personality. So loss awaits in market.
4] atleast 4000 good traders r waiting to loot ur money, just when u join.........its not for good boys.
Just ask ur prof/guide -since they know,
May be after many yr , u may understand what i try to convey .Pl to TA degree CMT
Regards

Vertigo_1985

Hello everyone,

get the job you mentioned, save money, get a home from it. Start learning by dedicating some time each day and an year or 2 again consider decision to trade.

RDutt

Degrees have got nothing to do with Trading.
TOP name oldies of BSE/NSE did not have any big degree tag, but they were so successful. Its all a game of logic, understanding and analysis. (and my personal view - a little bit of luck also). All the best.. Welcome to community. :thumb:

Tamil trader

Degrees have got nothing to do with Trading.
TOP name oldies of BSE/NSE did not have any big degree tag, but they were so successful. Its all a game of logic, understanding and analysis. (and my personal view - a little bit of luck also). All the best.. Welcome to community. :thumb:
you can win

Rish

Our (educational) intelligence will never work out in this market. Without financial backup don't enter. You are getting a good job, please concentrate on your job, take sometime to read the market / study and enter.

Market does't bothered whether we are educated or non-qualified, market knows only one thing, how to make everybody fo.ol each and every moment, because market is uneducated ! ! !

Sir,
i am trying to give honest reply (not goody goody view)............
u r not suitable for trading.
YOUR path tells any experienced trader(2 already told)- u can never learn trading.
Its about 10yr takes to learn it. Time is against you.Other pt.
1] ur engg background dont allow to be a loser.So u hold loss/and lose 100%.
2] u read -ive books, very harmful as a trader.Quant is a gimic.(i have seen in reality/and many a socalled programmer- a total novice in real trading) maxm by utilzing that concept possible to reach upto trade-puncher.
3] u have shown -greed driven personality. So loss awaits in market.
4] atleast 4000 good traders r waiting to loot ur money, just when u join.........its not for good boys.
Just ask ur prof/guide -since they know,
May be after many yr , u may understand what i try to convey .Pl to TA degree CMT
Regards
Oilman5 bro........What a post!!!! I add...... thoda kama k aa jao bhai........:lol::rofl::lol::rofl: