Some of the dumbest analyst calls in 2008

AW10

Came across it somewhere on the net. If these experts (so called) can make such dumb mistakes then so can we..
Does that mean we are also expert ? (I would rather give up such expert title)

I am sure there will be enough such examples in our market too.

Anyway, Enjoy it..

------------------------------

1. "We have hit bottom. "
- Any Week between Jan. 2 and mid-September

Approximately 14,117 analysts all of whom have been interviewed on CNBC, Fox Business or the fifth-grade weekly television show at the Herbert Hoover Elementary School.

2. "GM has bottomed GM is a buy here."
Feb. 18, 2008

3. "Investors can now buy bank stocks at their cheapest levels in almost two decades the last time an opportunity of this nature existed to buy bank stocks this cheap was in 1990 . the next time will be in 20 years. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity."
March 10, 2008

4. "Bear Stearns is a buy at these levels, and we are buying."
Friday, March 14, 2008

Bill Miller of the Legg Mason Value Fund (LMVFX), not an analyst but a money manager, clearly does little or no analysis. He bought when Bear Stearns hit around $30. On Monday, March 17 -- St. Patricks Day -- the company was acquired for $2 a share.

5. "Successful efforts by authorities to restore liquidity and the orderly functioning of financial markets, along with the massive amount of policy stimulus that has already** been applied ... are expected to lead to a modest recovery in the U.S. economy in the second half of the year."
March 20, 2008

Larry Kantor, resident genius and head of research at Barclays Capital.

6. "Chinese growth will be 9.4% in 2008."
April 1, 2008

The World Bank. Who cares, there are still a billion and a half of them, right? Gotta buy something, right? "Oops, Chinese growth in 2008 will end up at 7.5%." Same guys at the World Bank working 20 hours a week in between first-class flights home.

7. "We are buying more of Freddie Mac, we bought another 30 million shares."
September 2008

Bill Miller, Legg Mason Value Fund no analysis again. One week later you and I -- through our servant Hank Paulson -- took over Freddie (FRE) and Fannie Mae (FNM).

8. "Our forecast is $149 a barrel for U.S. crude oil .strong fundamentals were a more important factor than a strengthening dollar."
Aug. 20, 2008

Goldman Sachs (GS). Well, they only missed it by a $100 a barrel -- matches the rest of their performance this year. "Oops, sorry, oil will be $70 a barrel by year-end. And it could hit $50," said the same group of geniuses two and half months later.

RSI

Just curious to know. Is there any such tracking of performance of Indian Stock Analysts? so called "experts"?

Paid clients of these "experts" may only be knowing the truth.A friend of mine lost heavily during 2006 correction.He was holding long position in NIFTY.This "expert" (often seen on CNBC) kept assuring his clients(My friend included) that it is just temporary dip.I do not know whether it is proper to disclose the name of this "expert",suffice to say that he has written two books on stock markets.Can you guess his name?

Last edited:
The truth is nobody can predict the market accurately for any reasonable period of time and all analysis is ok upto a point.Supports and resistances fail otherwise how could market trend ? It is a futile exercise to spend our energy on trying to predict the market.It is much more profitable to trade as the market unfolds based on a sound trading system,proper position size and a valid and rigid stoploss.

We have to decide whether we are in the market for earning returns on our trading capital or for satisfying our false ego that we cought the turn at the bottom or top tick of the day....

Best Wishes,

Smart_trade

oxusmorouz

Allow me to add this to the collection:

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, www.astrotechnicals.com <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: www.astrotechnicals.com / Special discount in astrotechnicals
To: (my email id, blocked here for obvious reasons)
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 1:05 PM

This is an email from 'www.astrotechnicals.com'

Special Discount for 7 days.
Subscription reduced by 50%percent. Now pay only 4500/-and get 1
month
predictions and pay rs 40000/- and get 1 year prediction.
Free Prediction for today.Dt.18th july 2007
There will be heavy volatility in the market. But market will go down today by
13:30 PM.
Sell Nifty, Tata Steel,SBIN, REL Capital and cover it by taking profit.

Thanks

ASTROTECHNICALS
www.astrotechnicals.com
Mr Vinay Maheshwari
# 91-9311525255
91-9313339473
My reply:
Markets range bound till 1 and went up after that. Maybe I will subscribe to your service to do the exact opposite you advice.
Wishing your clients the best of luck (they will probably be needing a lot of it)

Regards.
:cool:

Last edited:

pkamalesh

Paid clients of these "experts" may only be knowing the truth.A friend of mine lost heavily during 2006 correction.He was holding long position in NIFTY.This "expert" (often seen on CNBC) kept assuring his clients(My friend included) that it is just temporary dip.I do not know whether it is proper to disclose the name of this "expert",suffice to say that he has written two books on stock markets.Can you guess his name?
hahaha..it must be ashwani gujral....seeing the screen of his laptop which is switched off...

Ashwani Gujral