SIP investments.....advice required

Have been investing 5000 each in the mentioned SIP funds for the past one year HDFC TOP 200 FUND
FIDELITY INDIA GROWTH FUND
IDFC IMPERIAL EQUITY FUND PLAN A

Need ur advice on which of thse should i continue/discontinue at the end of 14 months and also if you could suggest some alternatives.....am a newbie and have absolutely no idea about these, usually go by what the investment manager advices
HDFC EQUITY FUND is another fund have been advised to nvest in

meena07

Have been investing 5000 each in the mentioned SIP funds for the past one year HDFC TOP 200 FUND

Need ur advice on which of thse should i continue/discontinue at the end of 14 months and also if you could suggest some alternatives.....am a newbie and have absolutely no idea about these, usually go by what the investment manager advices
Are u investing 5000each monthly in one istallment ? and invest in all three on one specific day ?
If both answers are affirmative, u shud spread ur investmnts over a month. U can either invest 5000 each in 3 funds on 3 diff dates OR u can invest 1000 each(*) 5 times a month for all 3. ( * - check availability of this option wrt scheme)

As u r going for SIP route, i assume , with word discontinue, u meant Switch from one scheme to other. And i also assume u wanna switch within Equity oriented schemes only. If u are thinking of debt/liquid funds, ignore below post.
When i see ur portfolio,
U are investng in HDFC-T-200 which has exposure to Large+midcap
Fidelity I-G which has exposure to Large+midcap
AND IDFC IMPERIAL PLAN A which has exposure to Large cap.

U can continue with HDFC-T-200.
Also u can think of DSPBRT100/Franklin Ind Bluechip which is having exposure to Large cap instead of IDFC Imperial.
If u wish, u can think of IDFC Premier Eq plan A which focus on Small+midcap.

Disclaimer-These should NOT be taken as Recommendations .I am also new to MF and just started investment on my OWN with a very small amount comapred to yours. Yes, but did homework before finalising. U shud consult with ur advisor OR u can compare schemes on fundamental basis as well as using SIP Returns calculator.

Just wished to share as knowledgeable persons may correct/advice me with my portfolio.

Last edited:
Thank u for ur prompt reply.
Am investing 5000 in each of the funds, and on a single date
Wanted to know the advantage of investing 1000*5, as against 5000 at one go.

Mutual funds are very risky.

Would you give me your hard earned money if i tell you i will give you 8% or 10% or whatever percentage.

You have no idea where your money is put in by the so called mutual fund managers.

Best you can do is learn to do positional trading.

Don't expect that these so called mutual funds will make money for you especially in these economic conditions.

Have a look at pros/cons of positional trading vs Mutual funds.

Remember money loses its value as time progresses, only to preserve the value of money is to grow it and mutual funds have very very slow growth.

If trading seems complicated to you. I suggest you try to learn or a very simple method is to buy any stocks/index when it is it lowest and sell when it is at its highest. This would be far better than investing in mutual funds.

Note these are again my personal opinions and not facts. It is upto you to decide where to park your hard earned money.

Good luck!

Edit: Please stay away from so called financial advisers, they will only give advice that will benefit them, not you.

meena07

see Shridd,
I am also NOT an advisor or agent or blah blah....whatever u call.

I am a pure retail investor/trader, with Capital mkts as well as MF.

As u are investing 5000pm*12months=60K p.a.
Why don't u invest it lump sum on one day in a year? You can always keep aside 5000pm in savings a/c.
Yes....u are right. To average out. As u are doing SIP , u know the funda.

If anybody with small kitty is investing 1000pm only, then he has no alternative but to go for one installment in a month. But as u are doing 5000pm each in 3 funds. U can go for 5000 in A fund on 5th, in B fund on 15th and remainder 5000 in C on 25th. ( 1000 each 5 times is an extreme case.) But 5000 spread over 3 times will also suffice purpose well.

Hope i am clear now...