SIP - Equity Based - Need Advice

Hi all,

I am pretty new to the mutual funds segment. I learnt about sip in mutual funds and i plan to invest three k each month. One in elss and two in equity funds. Could you guys please advice what are the viable options available for maximum profit? I will be continuing with the elss one and plan to dematerialize the other ones after three years. i am looking for more than 30% profit in these three years given the market conditions are good.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I am pretty new to the mutual funds segment. I learnt about sip in mutual funds and i plan to invest three k each month. One in elss and two in equity funds. Could you guys please advice what are the viable options available for maximum profit? I will be continuing with the elss one and plan to dematerialize the other ones after three years. i am looking for more than 30% profit in these three years given the market conditions are good.

Thanks in advance.
I have stopped investing in ELSS due to the uncertainty around how would these be managed post April 2012. So, I don't want any money locked in there.

For a newbie, you should start with a balanced fund like HDFC Prudence, HDFC Balanced or DSPBR balanced. As you learn the intricacies, you can switch to large caps like DSPBR Top 100 and Franklin India Bluechip. Please stay away from midcaps till you figure out your financial goals in a holistic manner.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Please advice one aggressive fund which has a good track record of a past performance? Any recommendations for the same would be of great help. I am looking to invest for a time period of 3 to 5 years.

Am planning to invest one 2 balanced ones and 1 aggressive one. Is that a wise move to look at a good growth at a period of 3 years?

yodlee99

I would suggest to start investing in a few well-managed funds like HDFC Top200, HDFC Prudence, DSPBR equity and Reliance Regular savings equity funds. I would spare you from details like largecap, multicap, balanced/hybrid funds etc which you can read very well from valueresearchonline.com. Always invest using SIP on different dates of the month. Once you get a little bit more familiar with the market and the hoopla associated with it from time to time, you can venture into other kinds of funds. You can do yourself a favor by staying away from aggressive funds as of now.
Good luck!

Thanks again guys for helping me out. So i have chosen Prudence, top 200 and hdfc equity all growth options. One last question, please bear me. So if i track these mutual funds from Sharekhan ( where I have the demat) , how much usually a brokerage firm charge as brokerage? Am going for SIP option and there are features available in sharekhan to invest on different dates. I want to keep track of all my investments in a single account. So if any body has a sharekhan account or something similar where they are investing to mfs through them, please help me out.

And thanks again for the advice!