SH's 315 Strategy - how to make it more comfortable and profitable!!

rkkarnani

Attaching an EXCEL file with 3 EMA values as per my RT charts converted to EOD!! With the BUY and SELL dates highlighted. May help those who are willing to analyse and also request anyone who is expert in Excel formula to device one (if possible, I am not sure) to make the work still simpler. :thumb

Excel sheet attachment a few Posts Later!!

Last edited:

NTrader42

OK - try to test this ...

Booking profits or exiting trades before crossover

Keep a close watch on 3 EMA ... if you see 2 consecutive days where 3 EMA has moved against your position than you exit 315 positions UNTIL you reach a day where 3 EMA start moving back again in your position.(please read carefully I am talking about 3 EMA moving and not just the price). Usually when you see 3 EMA moving against your position in two consecutive days, price will usually touch 15 EMA. This is where we can enter in positions again (ADD rule) or wait for 3 EMA to turn back in our direction to enter. Sometimes 3 EMA will not turn back and eventually crossover 15 EMA generating a new trade.

Key points to highlight again

1. 2 consective days of 3 EMA moving opposite to 315 trade- so for example if we are long... 3 EMA closes at 5000 today .. tomorrow mkt goes down and 3 EMA closes at 4995, we got our first day of opposite move. Next day if 3 EMA closes below 4995 (lets say 4990) , we exit our longs at 3.25 PM. Otherwise we just hold longs.

2. If we have exited longs as above, we have to re-enter longs when either price touches 15 EMA OR when 3 EMA closes above previous day. So in this example if 3 EMA closes back at 4995 on 4th day ..we enter longs again.

We continue to watch 3 EMA after re-entry, if we again see two down days ..we exit longs again.

I will take a live example now to explain.

11th Oct - 315 buy generated at 4982
18th Oct - Nifty makes a low and 3 EMA closes at 5076 (lower than previous days 5106)
19th Oct - Nifty moves up and 3 EMA closes at 5111 (as its above previous day we didnt get 2 consective down days ..so we hold longs)
20th Oct - 3 EMA closes at 5108 (lower than previous day - Day 1)
21 Oct - 3 EMA closes further down at 5081 (Day 2) Now we can exit longs on this day. However we also took support from 15 EMA so we can hold longs too as 15 EMA touched. But in any case we assume we exit longs here at 5054.
22nd Oct - Next day 3 EMA closes at 5095 (up from previous day). We move back in longs and re-enter at 5106
28th Oct - Nifty closes at 5386. 3 EMA not touching candle on second day too so as per 315 rules we booked longs and wait for 3 EMA touch.
31st Oct - Second day also 3 EMA not touching ..no re-entry. Please note 3 EMA is still rising.

1 Nov - Nifty closes at 5291..3 EMA touched so we re-enter longs as per 315 rules. However 3 EMA closes at 5301 which is lower than previous day. (Day 1)

2nd Nov - Nifty closes at 5280. 3 EMA closes further low at 5290 (Day 2). We exit longs again and wait for 15 EMA touch of 3 EMA uptick day.

3 Nov - Nifty at 5296, 3 EMA closes at 5296. We get our uptick day and back in longs.

9th and 11th Nov - 3 EMA down on both day ..we exit on 11th Nov at 5192

12th Nov - We get 315 crossover and we open fresh shorts.

Whilst above adds more complexities to the original strategy and also increased the number of trades per swing .... I still believe it can help booking profits at tops and bottoms in certain scenarios.

Will appreciate is someone can backtest it for last 1 year and compare results against original strategy.

cheers
SH
I think we can do this filtering with excel. Will start with the sheet posted above by RKK, will post here for any help / data needed.

Thanks

rkkarnani

Todat morning NF opened with a small Gap down.. Price is a bit away from 3EMA, but very much within or near yesterdays low. So as done a couple of days earlier I would like to exit on reversal of trend, i.e. Breach of todays opening high which in my chart is 4909!! I amy also exit at lower levels if NF plunges further. At CMP 5066.80 I am again into 50 points profit from my earlier profit booking levels!! In such a scenario can we find some intraday strategy to book profits!! Focus is on to allow the profits to run with some safeguards!!

jallanankit

Considering the rules of the strategy, i am in the process of developing an 3 15 intraday technique..!!

The results which i found the best were on 30 min tf...

Besides the rules as explained in this strategy, i m trying out more things for the same..!! But i have not included the use of any other technical indicator in order to keep the strategy as simple as it is meant to b..!!

NTrader42

Attaching an EXCEL file with 3 EMA values as per my RT charts converted to EOD!! With the BUY and SELL dates highlighted. May help those who are willing to analyse and also request anyone who is expert in Excel formula to device one (if possible, I am not sure) to make the work still simpler. :thumb:
Thanks RK

This was very useful, made 2 formulas 1 for long and 1 for short

=IF(AND((B3 < B2), (B4 < B3)),"Exit Long","Hold Long")
=IF(AND((B3 > B2), (B4 > B3)),"Exit Short","Hold Short")

Will upload the modified sheet after some time, formula is working but need to manually paste the formula as per long/short.

rkkarnani

Considering the rules of the strategy, i am in the process of developing an 3 15 intraday technique..!!

The results which i found the best were on 30 min tf...

Besides the rules as explained in this strategy, i m trying out more things for the same..!! But i have not included the use of any other technical indicator in order to keep the strategy as simple as it is meant to b..!!
Good, I have also eye balled 30 minutes chart and they look promising But let me tell you in charts what the eye sees is not always true.. we need to do the hard work of analysing the same!! There are much more number of trades as expected. In this do you think we probably need (just my view) some regular profit booking at pre defined levels!!?
Another thing that I had in mind for smaller TF was : do we take trades only in contra direction as and when we get them....if EOD is long we look for a short signal in smaller TF?

rkkarnani

Thanks RK

This was very useful, made 2 formulas 1 for long and 1 for short

=IF(AND((B3 < B2), (B4 < B3)),"Exit Long","Hold Long")
=IF(AND((B3 > B2), (B4 > B3)),"Exit Short","Hold Short")

Will upload the modified sheet after some time, formula is working but need to manually paste the formula as per long/short.
Thanks for taking it up.... what about "re-entries"?

jallanankit

Good, I have also eye balled 30 minutes chart and they look promising But let me tell you in charts what the eye sees is not always true.. we need to do the hard work of analysing the same!! There are much more number of trades as expected. In this do you think we probably need (just my view) some regular profit booking at pre defined levels!!?
Another thing that I had in mind for smaller TF was : do we take trades only in contra direction as and when we get them....if EOD is long we look for a short signal in smaller TF?
I have had a analysis of the chart for sometime now..!!

Some tweaks done..!!

1. Use of MA instead of EMA
2. Manual booking in 30 to 40 points in 50 % of the qty..
3. Hold the rest with a TSL to cost..!!
4. This is expermental..(Exit the remaining 50 % qty when using the same rules in 10 min chart when 10 min goes contra to 30 min..!! NO EOD position carried against DAILY charts as per std 315 strategy..)

RK karani, ur views are invited..!!

jallanankit

Moreover, advantages of trading intraday using a 30 min chart gives the following advantages..!!

1. Volatilty will not eat up as in 5 min or lower timeframes...

2. Reduced no of calls.. generally one through this strategy..

3. And as per my analysis, this strategy gives 30 points in 7 out of 10 calls..!!