Short selling stocks for longer than intraday

Which brokers/trading platforms allow you to short sell stocks for a period longer than a day? Like, a week to a few months - or as long as you like?

I use Canmoney. It doesn't offer short selling on stocks. It allows only on F&O.

NJ23

Most brokers won't allow shorting for more than a day. Check the brokers that offer SLBS(Securities Lending and Borrowing) facility provided by NSE.

Most brokers won't allow shorting for more than a day. Check the brokers that offer SLBS(Securities Lending and Borrowing) facility provided by NSE.

Thanks for your reply. Will try to find out. I've already emailed a few brokers, yet to get a reply.

It's very disappointing that most brokers don't allow shorting for more than a day. We are deprived of the chance to make money off the down runs.

I hope at least a couple of brokers allow it.

Thanks for your reply. Will try to find out. I've already emailed a few brokers, yet to get a reply.

It's very disappointing that most brokers don't allow shorting for more than a day. We are deprived of the chance to make money off the down runs.

I hope at least a couple of brokers allow it.
If you want to make money by short selling then why not short sell in F&O
I dont think if any broker will allow you to positional short sell in cash segment

A lot of tips online tell us to short sell certain stocks. Sorry to ask again, but they must advise so because there must be some brokers who allow it. If your trading platform allows you to short for more than a day, please let me know.

TradeOptions

A lot of tips online tell us to short sell certain stocks. Sorry to ask again, but they must advise so because there must be some brokers who allow it. If your trading platform allows you to short for more than a day, please let me know.
This is not something that is broker or trading software dependent. It is so because of SEBI Rules, which does not allow shorting in stocks for more then a day.

It is better you take short position in FnO.

Regards

newbie_7

hello,

yes, a few brokers do have STBT (sell today buy tomorrow) just like BTST (buy today sell tomorrow) which most brokers provide.

They offer stocks from their pool and have a fixed list of stocks where it is allowed. That means they square off with stocks from their pool and you are expected to buy back and square off the next day.

You seem to me a new trader, so my advise to you is to stick to intraday nifty 50 in the cash segment only. Nifty stocks are more predictable and a little more easier to trade...if you know how to trade that is..! Trade small quantities...employ a stop loss of 0.50% and don't brood over your losses.

Most good traders or almost all of them have had a gestation period of 4-6 years before they started to make any serious money...I've had seven ! During this period, you will lose money...but stop losses will help you control those losses and move on. The trick is in learning from those mistakes...and not repeating them.

When you trade in the F&O segment you have to buy a minimum of one lot by paying margin depending on the stock. Your profits can be higher and so can your losses. More importantly, the first trades in the morning are very volatile so your stops will have to be larger to cover this (3% to 5%). If you pick the wrong stock or the markets open with a huge gap the next morning, you are in at the deep end.

Successful trading has very little to do with strategy as the markets don't follow indicators. It has more to do with picking the right stocks. All indicators merely follow the price...always remember that the dog wags the tail...the tail does not wag the dog. The price is the only thing that is important.

Like I said, picking the right stocks is the key...and my friend, you will take 4-7 years just to learn that.

by the way check the brokerage with canmoney and shift to a discount broker if it is high.

love to help...ask questions if any but don't ask for strategies...I use none...just price and volume.

regards,

newbie_7

newbie_7

hello,

just a rejoinder...I am not absolutely sure of STBT in the cash market...you will have to check it up...or maybe someone else can chip in...

thanx,

newbie_7

hello,

yes, a few brokers do have STBT (sell today buy tomorrow) just like BTST (buy today sell tomorrow) which most brokers provide.

They offer stocks from their pool and have a fixed list of stocks where it is allowed. That means they square off with stocks from their pool and you are expected to buy back and square off the next day.

You seem to me a new trader, so my advise to you is to stick to intraday nifty 50 in the cash segment only. Nifty stocks are more predictable and a little more easier to trade...if you know how to trade that is..! Trade small quantities...employ a stop loss of 0.50% and don't brood over your losses.

Most good traders or almost all of them have had a gestation period of 4-6 years before they started to make any serious money...I've had seven ! During this period, you will lose money...but stop losses will help you control those losses and move on. The trick is in learning from those mistakes...and not repeating them.

When you trade in the F&O segment you have to buy a minimum of one lot by paying margin depending on the stock. Your profits can be higher and so can your losses. More importantly, the first trades in the morning are very volatile so your stops will have to be larger to cover this (3% to 5%). If you pick the wrong stock or the markets open with a huge gap the next morning, you are in at the deep end.

Successful trading has very little to do with strategy as the markets don't follow indicators. It has more to do with picking the right stocks. All indicators merely follow the price...always remember that the dog wags the tail...the tail does not wag the dog. The price is the only thing that is important.

Like I said, picking the right stocks is the key...and my friend, you will take 4-7 years just to learn that.

by the way check the brokerage with canmoney and shift to a discount broker if it is high.

love to help...ask questions if any but don't ask for strategies...I use none...just price and volume.

regards,

newbie_7
Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. I learnt about Futures, and I'm now convinced that they are better than stocks. Agree with you about using stop losses. I too use only pure price action trading. No confusing indicators for me. Candlesticks are enough for me. Indicators only serve to confuse the hell out of me. I like to keep it simple. "Clean charts, filthy rich" is my mantra.

Thanks again. Cheers.