Self Help & Misc. Instresting Stuff.

DSM

Learned Helplessness

The Misconception: If you are in a bad situation, you will do whatever you can do to escape it. The Truth: If you feel like you aren’t in control of your destiny, you will give up and accept whatever situation you are in.

In 1965, a scientist named Martin Seligman started shocking dogs. He was trying to expand on the research of Pavlov – the guy who could make dogs salivate when they heard a bell ring. Seligman wanted to head in the other direction, and when he rang his bell instead of providing food he zapped them with electricity. To keep them still, he restrained them in a harness during the experiment.

After they were conditioned, he put these dogs in a big box with a little fence dividing it into two halves. They figured if they rang the bell, the dog would hop over the fence to escape, but it didn’t. It just sat there and braced itself. They decided to try shocking them after the bell. The dog still just sat there and took it. When they put a dog in the box which had never been shocked before and tried to zap it – it jumped the fence.

Human behaviour is just like these dogs. If, over the course of your life, you have experienced crushing defeat or pummeling abuse or loss of control, you learn over time there is no escape, and if escape is offered, you will not act – you become a nihilist who trusts futility above optimism.

Any extended period of negative emotions can lead to you giving in to despair and accepting your fate. If you remain alone for a long time, you will decide loneliness is a fact of life and pass up opportunities to hang out with people. The loss of control in any situation will lead to this state. So what is the alternative? A study in 1976 by Langer and Rodin showed in nursing homes where conformity and passivity is encouraged and every whim is attended to, the health and well-being of the patients declines rapidly. If, instead, the people in these homes are given responsibilities and choices, they remain healthy and active. This research was repeated in prisons. Sure enough, just letting prisoners move furniture and control the television kept them from developing health problems and staging revolts. In homeless shelters where people can’t pick out their own beds or choose what to eat, the residents are less likely to try and get a job or find an apartment.

When you are able to succeed at easy tasks, hard tasks feel possible to accomplish. When you are unable to succeed at small tasks, everything seems harder. Rats given the opportunity to escape electric shocks are half as likely to develop tumors than those who are forced to bear them. Rats already suffering from cancer will die faster if placed into the inescapable shock experiment.

Every day – your job, the government, your addiction, your depression, your money – you feel like you can’t control the forces affecting your fate. So, you stage microrevolts. You customize your ringtone, you paint your room, you collect stamps. You choose. Choices, even small ones, can hold back the crushing weight of helplessness, but you can’t stop there. You must fight back your behavior and learn to fail with pride. Failing often is the only way to ever get the things you want out of life. Besides death, your destiny is not inescapable..... If only we learn and avoid the scourge of 'Learned helplessness'

Quotes....

Don't practice till you get it right. Practice until you can't do it wrong. The amateur practices until he gets it right, the professional until he doesn't get it wrong.

Great things are done by a series of small things brought together - Vincent Van Gogh.

Most people do not see their beliefs. Instead their beliefs tell them what to see. This is the simple difference between clarity and confusion.

DSM

Tirukkural was written by Tiruvalluvar, a renounde Tamil poet, thousands of years ago. His advise on parenting, based on psychology of Human Behaviour, is revelant even today.

1. If your children lie to you often, it is because you over-react too harshly to their inappropriate behaviour.

2. If your children are not taught to confide in you about their mistakes, you’ve lost them.

3. If your children had poor self-esteem, it is because you advice them more than you encourage them.

4. If your children do not stand up for themselves, it is because from a young age you have disciplined them regularly in public.

5. If your children take things that do not belong to them, it is because when you buy them things, you don’t let them chose what they want.

6. If your children are cowardly, it is because you help them too quickly.

7. If your children do not respect other people’s feelings, it is because instead of speaking, you order and command them.

8. If your children are too quick to anger, it is because you give too much attention to misbehaviour and little attention to good behaviour.

9. If your children are excessively jealous, it is because you congratulate them only when they successfully complete something and not when they improve at something even if they don’t successfully complete it

10. If your children intentionally disturb you, it is because you are not physically affectionate enough.

11. If your children are openly defiant, it is because you openly threaten to do something but don’t follow through.

12. If your child is secretive, it is because they are sure that you would blow things out of proportion.

13. If your children back-answer to you, it is because they watch you do it to others and think its normal behaviour.

14. If your children don’t listen to you but listen to others, it is because you are too quick to jump to conclusions

15. If your children rebel it is because they know you care more about what others think than what is right

Something for all parents to know and understand.....

World's biggest lie men say: No need to ask my wife. My decision is final.

World's biggest lie women say: I will ask my husband and tell you...

One can graduate from college, but never from life. Life is a never ending lesson… The more we keep ourselves open to it, the more we grow.

Instead of beating head against the wall, spend more time trying to understand the world as it is, and live accordingly.

A key to happiness : Avoid toxic people.

Life is too ironic to fully understand. It takes sadness to know what happiness is. Noise to appreciate silence. And absence to value presence

Hello friends,

Recently I read 6 Habits that will transform your life before 8:00 AM: The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod. It is a very inspiration book. I learned 6 lessons from this book.

SAVERS
1. S- Silence (meditation for some time in the morning to clear your mind)
2. A-Affirmations (read out loud your goals)
3. V-Visualizations (Visualize your goal like you already achieve it)
4. E-Exercise daily for 10-15 minutes to stay healthy.
5. R: Read 10-20 pages of a book which can help you to attain your goal.
6. S: Scribe (write down your achievement and pending things to achieve your goal)

I found some videos as well to save your time.

I personally feel we should read on daily basis and stay connected with a group of people who have same objective in order to achieve our goals. This forum really serve this purpose. I am very grateful for this.

Thanks
rip07
The silence part is amazing...but trust me you will recover it once your kids become teenagers..phew! I can actually now breathe! but these 6 habits are actually very very beneficial! Especially if you want to invest and make some ching ching! :greedy:

DSM

The story of time, karma and wisdom

https://vibrantkundalini.com/2017/08/07/buddha-and-the-beggar/

One day there was a homeless young man, he had been trying to gather food but he keeps noticing that everyday his food disappears. One day he caught the mouse that kept stealing his food and he asked the mouse:

“Why are you stealing from me? I am a homeless man, you can steal from richer people than me and it will not have any effect on them.”

The mouse then told the homeless young man: “It is your destiny, you can only have eight items in your possession; no matter how much you beg, no matter how much you gather, this is all you will be able to have.”

The homeless young man was shocked and said: “Why is that my destiny?”

And the mouse replied: “I do not know. You should try and ask the Buddha.”

So the homeless young man goes on his journey to find the Buddha and as he is going, it gets late. So he ends up at a wealthy family’s house and he asks if he could stay for the night. They let him in and they ask him: “Young man, why are you traveling so late?”

So he answers: I have a question for the Buddha and tomorrow I will be on my way.”

The family then said: “Can we give you a question to ask the Buddha? We have a young daughter who cannot speak, what do we have to do to make her speak?”

So the homeless young man thanks them for the shelter and tells them: “Of course I will ask your question for you.”

So the next morning he goes and continues his journey, until he reaches a range of mountains that he has to cross. He climbs up the mountain and he meets a wizard, whom decides to use his staff to take the young man and himself across the mountains. Then the wizard asks the young man: “Where are you going? Why are you crossing the mountains?”

The young man answers: “I am going to ask the Buddha a question about my destiny.”

The wizard then says: “Can I please give you a question to ask the Buddha? I have been trying to go to heaven for 1,000 years. According to my teachings I should be able to go to heaven now. Can you please ask the Buddha what do I have to do to go to heaven?”

“Of course I will ask your question for you.” says the young man, and he continues on his journey. He then runs into his last obstacle, which is a river he cannot cross. Luckily he meets a giant turtle, who decides to take him across the river. As they are crossing the river the turtle asks: “Where are you going?”

“I am going to see the Buddha. I am going to ask him a question about my destiny.” says the young man.

“Can you please ask a question for me too? I have been trying to become a dragon for 500 years. According to my teachings I should have become a dragon by now. Can you please ask the Buddha what do I have to do to become a dragon?”

The young man thanks the turtle for taking him across the river and says: “Of course I will ask your question for you.”

The homeless young man finally meets the Buddha, and the Buddha says: “I will answer three question for everyone here, but three questions only.”

And the young man is shocked, he has four questions to ask, so he thinks carefully. He thinks about the turtle living for 500 years trying to become a dragon. The wizard living for 1,000 years trying to go to heaven. The girl who has to live her whole life unable to speak. Then he looks at himself and says: “I am just a homeless beggar. I can just go back home and continue begging.”

So as he looks at everybody else’s problems, his problem suddenly seems so small. He feels sorry for the turtle, and the wizard and the girl. He then decides to ask all of their questions, so he asks the Buddha, and the Buddha answers: “The turtle is unwilling to leave his shell, as long as he is unwilling to leave the comfort of his shell he will never become a dragon. The wizard always carries his staff and never puts it down, it is acting as an actor that is keeping him from heaven. As for the girl, she will be able to speak when she will meet her soulmate.”

So the homeless young man bowed to the Buddha, and went on his journey back home. He reunites with the turtle, and tells him:

“Hey, you just have to take off your shell and you will become a dragon.”

The turtle then takes off his shell, and inside his shell were priceless pearls he from the deepest parts of the ocean. He gives them to the homeless man and tells him: “Thank you, I no longer need this because I now a dragon.” and he flew away.

Then the homeless young man reunites with the wizard and tells him: “Hey, you just have to put down your staff and you will be able to go to heaven.”

The wizard lets go of his staff by giving it to the young man, he thanks him and ascends to heaven.

The young man now has wealth from the turtle and power from the wizard. He goes back to the family that gave him shelter and tells them: “The Buddha said that your daughter will be able to speak when she will meet her soulmate.” In that moment the daughter came downstairs and said:

“Hey, is that the man that was here last week?”

The young girl and the once homeless young man have now found their soulmate.....

The story is nuanced and has several layers of meanings. But it will mean different things to different people.... The important question is what does it tell you?

Quotes from Charlie Munger:

It is impossible to standout, unless you do something different from the crowd.

When everything is a priority, nothing is a priority. Attempting to maximize competing variables is a recipe for disaster. Picking one variable and relentlessly focusing on it, which is an effective strategy, diverges from the norm When you focus on one variable, you'll increase the odds that you're quick and nimble — and can respond to changes in the terrain.

While we all make mistakes, it's how we respond to failure that defines us.

Learn to love and admire the right people, live or dead.

Avoid intense ideologies. Always consider the other side as carefully as your own. Don’t have an opinion on a subject unless the arguments against a position is better than the people who are supporting it.

Really big ideas carry 95% of the freight. Pick up all the big ideas from all the big disciplines and make them a standard part of the mental routines. Of course, they are no good if you don’t practice — if you don’t practice you lose it.

Finally..... (Possible repeat)

You are holding a cup of coffee when someone comes along and bumps into you or shakes your arm, making you spill your coffee everywhere.

Why did you spill the coffee?

"Well because someone bumped into me, of course!"

Wrong answer.

You spilled the coffee because coffee was in the cup. If there had been tea in the cup, you would have spilled tea.

Whatever is inside the cup is what will come out.

Therefore, when life comes along and shakes you (which WILL happen), whatever is inside you will come out. It's easy to fake it, until you get rattled.

So we have to ask ourselves...what's in my cup?

When life gets tough, what spills over?

Joy, gratefulness, peace and humility?

Or anger, bitterness, harsh words and reactions?

You choose!

Today let's work towards filling our cups with gratitude, forgiveness, joy, words of affirmation to yourself and others, kindness, gentleness and love.

Wishing you more positivity in your cup. Have a good day!!!

DSM

Anxieties and worries - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Two friends in a village were sitting under a tree and watching the sunset. They were very close to each other. After sitting quietly for some time, one asked the other “What are you thinking?”

“I am planning to buy five acres of land, and a garden.”

The other friend immediately said “Don’t buy the garden!”

The first one was surprised. He asked “Why?”

The second one replied “I am planning to buy a buffalo. Then, my buffalo will enter your garden and we will fight, have misunderstandings and lose our friendship. I do not want to lose our friendship.”

The first one said “Then, you cancel your plan of buying a buffalo. I am going to buy my garden.” The second one said “No, no, no. I have already decided to buy a buffalo.”

The first one said “How will your buffalo enter my garden? I will fence it thoroughly.”

The second one said “No, you see, it can just enter; a buffalo is a buffalo. Who can stop it? It can do anything.”

The argument escalated and the friends started to kick and punch each other breaking each others bones.

Neither of them had bought a buffalo nor any land. Nothing has happened. It was just the mind’s was racing and both of them broke bones over it…. The story seems idiotic and funny. But it is what happens in our mind filled with anxiety and fear. We worry about the future. But the future has not yet come. But we just sit there and think “Oh! What will happen?” In the bargain, the mind gets into such a mess. It is unable to see the present moment as it unfolds.

Live contended and at peace in the moment. Be unfraid of the future and trust the Divine. Living in fear or with anxieties and worries is like you are scared of opening your fists. What is there with you that you have to hold your fists? You have nothing with you. Open your fists. The whole sky will be in your hands....

Having the realization that we are not in control of life brings a big shift in our thinking. It frees us from the worries that plagues us and instead enables us to live with peace and happiness, in the moment in tune and flow of life.

10 short stories with deep meanings..

Profound and heart rendering!

1) She was very excited
today, after all the
school was re-opening
after a long summer
break. Now, once
again, she could start
selling stationery at
the traffic signal to
feed her family.

2) She, a renowned artist
and a strict mother,
often scolded her 6-
year-old son for he
could never draw a
line straight. As he
breathed slowly into
the ventilator, she
begged him to make
one more crooked line
on the ECG.

3) "Everyone goes with
the flow… but the one
who goes against it
becomes someone
remarkable.” Before I
could explain this to
the traffic police, the
man issued me a fine.

4) Their love was
different. She was
happy every time he
kicked her in the
stomach. Every time
he kicked she loved
him more. She waited
for the time she would
hold her baby for the
first time.

5) All my toys are yours..!
Read her brother’s
death note.

6) They took his father,
and only returned a
flag.

7) At 25, I became a
mother of one; at 27 I
became a mother of
two; and today, at 55, I
have become a
mother of three! My
son got married today,
and brought home his
wife!

8) “Born to rich parents,
this boy is so lucky,”
exclaimed the
neighbors!
Somewhere in
heaven, three unborn
sisters cried.

9) “You ruined my career,
I was supposed to be
an Executive Director,”
she thought to
herself. The little
angel held her finger
tightly and she forgot
everything; A mother
was born.

10) Once a 5-year-old boy
was standing
barefoot in the
shallow water of the
ocean. He was
repeating the same
sentence to the
waves – “Even if you
touch my feet a
thousand times, I
won’t forgive you for
taking my parents
away.

Bookseller conducting a market survey asked a woman – “Which book has helped you most in your life?”
The woman replied, “My husband’s cheque book."

A prospective husband in a book store “Do you have a book called ‘Husband – the Master of the House?’"
Sales girl: “Sir, fiction and comics are on the 1st floor."

Someone asked an old man: “Even after 70 years, you still call your wife – darling, honey, luv. What’s the secret?"
Old man: “I forget her name and I’m scared to ask her."

:) :) :)

DSM

72 million dollars pizzas - The Bitcoin story

In May 2010, Laszlo Hanyecz, a developer purchased two pizzas and paid for it in digital currency called bitcoins. The cost of the two pizzas in bitcoin was 10,000. Bitcoin was then a newly launched virtual currency in 2009 and was thought of fad then.

Now 7 years later, 1 Bit coin is valued at more than US$ 7,294/- Had Laszlo Hanyecz held on to the bitcoins instead of exchanging it for two pizzas, he would be worth 72 million dollars and have some 949,000 dollars to spare . So in effect the price paid for each pizza was US$ 31 million!!! Hard to believe right? Here are the old links to the story (based on previous value of Bitcoin)

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-pizza-day-passes-2000-20-million-2017-5?IR=T

http://www.investopedia.com/news/bitcoin-pizza-day-celebrating-20-million-pizza-order/

Bitcoin facts

• Bitcoin was launched in 2009 as the world's first decentralized, private digital currency.
• Bitcoin exists inside of an interlinked computer network system.
• Bitcoins are generated, or "mined," through a sequence of complex mathematical formulas run through computers.
• These digital coins can then be bought or sold with other currencies and used as an investment or money to buy goods from any sellers who accept them.

Why Bitcoins are highly valued

• The anonymous creator of Bitcoins set a cap on total Bitcoin volume. Once that number hits 21 million, no more Bitcoins can be generated.
• Bitcoin is hard for governments to trace and tax.
• Just in 2017, the value of Bitcoin has increased by over 600%
• Bitcoin is difficult for government or banking regulators to control and is free from their interference.
• US, EU, Canada, Russia, China, Japan, Australia, India etc have Bitcoin friendly stance.

Risk

• Bitcoin demand seen as similar to ‘Tulip mania’
• Possibility of the value of Bitcoin crashing if any major country makes holding Bitcoin illegal.

Opportunities

• The value of Bitcoin could hit $100,000 in 10 years time as per analyst. The believes in Bitcoin argue the demise or fall in value right till date has been called by experts as it rose to $ 100, 200, 500, 1,000…. And 5,000 but have been proven wrong.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/31/bitcoin-price-forecast-hit-100000-in-10-years.html

Missed bus……

About two years in Oct 2015, the price of Ethereum was valued at $0.534117 per coin. So an investment of US$ 1,000 (Rs. 65,200) would get about 1,886 Ether coins.

Today, an Ether coin is valued at US$301. An investment of $1,000 two years back would be valued at $ 567,600 or about Rs. 3 Crores and 67 lacs.

Divergent thinking : You can’t do the same things that other people are doing and expect to outperform. When you do what everyone else does you're going to get the same results everyone else gets. It's not enough to be different — you also need to be correct. The goal is not blind divergence but rather a way of thinking that sets you apart from others. A way of thinking that gives you an advantage. Interestingly, This is where loss aversion comes in. Most people are simply unwilling to be wrong because that means they might look like a fool. Yet this is a grave mistake. The ability to risk looking like an idiot is necessary for being different. You never look like a fool if you look like everyone else. Conventional thinking and behavior are safe. But they almost guarantee mediocrity. To get an edge, you need to know when your performance is likely to be improved by being unconventional. Second-order thinking takes a lot of work. It's not easy. However, this is a smart way to separate yourself from the masses.

CA ki wife: Suniye ji, Yeh inflation kya cheez hai?

CA: Dekh. Pehle tu 36-24-36 thi. Ab tu 48-40-48 hai.Ab tere pass sab kuch pehle se jyada hai, phir bhi teri value pahle se kam hai... YAHI INFLATION HAI. :) :) :)

Wife sent text to hubby- “Hi I will get late, please cook dinner, then wash all dirty dishes and make sure you prepare our bed and put kids to sleep before I return.....

She sent another text, “And I forgot to mention,,, I have also bought a bottle of BLUE LABEL PREMIUM SCOTCH WHISKY for you......

Hubby texted : “OMG. That's so thoughtful. Really ?”

Wife replied : "No.... I just wanted to make sure you got my first message" :) :) :)

I daily observe a group of ladies sitting in the park talking and laughing loudly.

One day I observed all the ladies were silent. There must be some serious issue or incident I assumed. So I went to a Lady and asked, "Why everybody is silent today?"

The lady replied, "All are present today."

It took me a whole minute to understand this. :) :) :)

Have a great weekend.

DSM

A man passed away and left 17 ducks as asset for his three sons. In the will the Father stated that the eldest son should get half share of 17 ducks, the middle son should be given 1/3rd of 17 ducks,and the youngest son should be given 1/9th of the 17 ducks

As it is not possible to divide 17 into half or 17 by 3 or 17 by 9, the sons started to fight with each other.

So, they decided to go to a wise man for advise.

The wise man listened patiently about the father's will. After giving it a thought, he brought one duck of his own and added the same to 17. That made the total of 18 ducks for distribution.

Now, he started reading the deceased father’s will.

Half of 18 = 9.
So he gave 9 ducks
to the eldest son.

1/3rd of 18 = 6.
So he gave 6 ducks
to the middle son.

1/9th of 18 = 2.
So he gave 2 ducks
to the youngest son.

Now add this up:
9 + 6 + 2 = 17 &
This leaves 1 duck
which the wise man took back.

Learning: While negotiating and problem solving, the key is to find the 18th duck i.e. the common ground. However, to reach a solution, the first step is to believe that there is a solution. If we think that there is no solution, we won’t be able to reach any!

The Eagle does not fight the snake on the ground. It picks it up into the sky and changes the battle ground, and then it releases the snake into the sky. The snake has no stamina, no power and no balance in the air. It is useless, weak and vulnerable unlike on the ground where it is powerful wise and deadly. So too must be the approach and attitude while dealing with worries and anxieties. Unless you think above, beyond and outside of the problem, you will be fighting on an uneven footing, with your own mind arguing against you. What leverage or outside the box thinking you can employ to change things around with courage and confidence?

An elephant finished its bath in a river and was walking on the road. When it neared a bridge, it saw a pig fully soaked in mud coming from the opposite direction. The elephant quietly moved to one side, allowed the dirty pig to pass and then continued its onward journey.

The unclean pig later spoke to its friends in arrogance, See how big I am; even the elephant was afraid of me and moved to one side to let me pass. On hearing this, some elephants questioned their friend, the reason for its action.

The elephant replied, "I could have easily crushed the pig under my leg, but in the process, I would only waste my time and get dirty in the bargain. The better choice was to move out of the way.... Life's like that too. At times, it take a little bit of wisdom to refrain being untangled into unnecessary problems and dramas, and rather focus on what is important or meaningful.

On a lighter note :

Japanese Proverb:
If one can Do,
You can Do.
If no one can Do,
You must Do.

In Indian Context:
If one can Do,
Let him Do.
If no one can Do
What can I Do?

Quotes :

If you want to success, try failing. Once you know, then do the opposite.

Focus on process, not the outcome. We all want result, but do not want to walk the path. But having a focus on outcome sets you up for failure. Amateur focuses on outcomes and expects immediate results. Professionals play the long game and prioritizes the process, perfecting it over months and years with no immediate payoff. Instead of setting goals and focusing on them, ask: What’s the process that might get me to this goal? Then obsessively focus on the process and forget about the goal.

Take a simple idea. Or a big idea. But take it and follow it up seriously.

You cannot nudge wealth creation forward in the way that one would wish teak to grow more quickly, by pulling at it. But by patiently planting it in fertile soil and then watering the ground, we give the trees exactly the right amount of time needed to mature and then can reap a harvest.

Don't allow yourself to have an opinion on anything that you don't know on the opposing side's argument better than them.

Befriend knowledgeable people who disagree with you and expose yourself to environments where your opinions can be challenged. Strongly believe in your ideas, but be willing to change your opinion if the facts show otherwise. Always ask yourself, “What fact would change one of my strongly held opinions?” It takes courage and determination to see the truth instead of the convenience. But it’s well worth it.

Critical mass is achieved for boiling water, when it takes only one degree of change in temperature of boiling water to turn it into steam, and to power a locomotive. Focussed efforts too in such a manner over time, attains critical mass.

DSM

The Pineapple fund

There are rags to riches stories. Here’s a good one…. A few years back, one early believer in Bitcoin, when one Bitcoin was quoted in single digits, bought a sizeable numbers for investing long term…. The same Bitcoin which was available for a few cents, today cost more than 16,700 dollars each, making one of these early adopter’s net worth a few hundred of millions of dollars atleast. So what is he doing with the new found wealth? Instead of splurging out on luxurious cars and houses, he is donating 5,075 Bitcoins (approx. $85 million) to set up an investment fund to support charitable causes.

In his own words, the donor who wishes to remain anonomous states : “I remember starting at Bitcoin a few years ago. When Bitcoin broke single digits for the first time, I thought that was a triumphant moment for Bitcoin. Bitcoin has changed my life, and I have far more money than I can ever spend. My aims, goals, and motivations in life have nothing to do with having XX million or being the mega rich. So I’m doing something else, the masked hero continued, I’m donating the majority of my Bitcoins to charitable causes. I’m calling it The Pineapple Fund.”

The charitable man has pledged a total of 5,057BTC to the investment fund, with plans to back any charitable cause across the globe as long as it fits the criteria. So far, the fund has donated 163BTC to healthcare startup Watsi, clean water initiative The Water Project, blockchain philanthropy foundation BitGive, and digital rights activist EFF. For the record, this equals a total investment of $3.5 million.

This leaves 4,895BTC (approximately $84 million) more to give out. And now his “Pineapple fund:” is accepting applications from charities. As per the website : “Your organization should be a registered nonprofit organization in your country,” “In exceptional circumstances, we may make exceptions.” All approved parties will receive the donation via a Bitcoin transfer. The Pineapple Fund says it will help those unfamiliar with the technology to accept and convert the donations.

One thing to note is that the benefactor is not accepting applications from individuals, so don’t expect the fund to cover your college debt. “Pineapple Fund is charity, but not that kind of charity,” a message on the website reads. Anyone interested can find out more about the Pineapple Fund on its official site here. https://pineapplefund.org/

Not recommending or endorsing, but here is a guide to storing Bitcoin safely. (For informative purpose only)

DSM

Survivorship bias

During World War II, the British RAF (Royal Air Force) had a problem. It lost a lot of planes to German anti-aircraft fire. So they decided to armor them up. The question was where to put the armor? The consensus answer was to look at planes that returned from missions, find out which part of the aircraft was hit with most bullets and then put extra armor in the areas that attracted the most fire. Right?

Obvious, but wrong. A Hungarian-born mathematician Abraham Wald refuted this by arguing that if large number of planes made it back safely even though they had a hit by anti-aircraft fire and had bunch of bullet holes in their wings, it meant that the aircraft wings were strong enough to take an enemy hit and it was not very dangerous for the aircraft. So he counter-intuitively suggested to armor up the areas of the plane that did not have any bullet holes, because planes with bullet holes in those places never made it back, as a result they did not see any bullet holes there on the planes that did return.

Many a times, reasoning with available data leads to logical error that has made it past some selection process while overlooking that did not. This can lead to false conclusions in several different ways and is termed as survivorship bias, which is the mistake of focusing on only the positive results or data points, when analyzing things and ignoring those against. This is often encountered by traders trying a 'successful strategy' which may be result of opportune timing or luck, but otherwise may be mediocre.

Quotes :

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest - Confucius

Always plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark. -- Richard C. Cushing

Worry is like a rocking chair, it will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere - Unknown

A great marriage is not when the 'perfect couple' come together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences. --Dave Meurer

Information isn't wisdom nor is it learning. If information were learning, you could be educated by memorizing the world almanac. If you did that, you wouldn't be educated. You'd be weird --David McCullough

Bitcoin : For those who are keeping track...

$0000 - $1000: 1789 days
$1000- $2000: 1271 days
$2000- $3000: 23 days
$3000- $4000: 62 days
$4000- $5000: 61 days
$5000- $6000: 8 days
$6000- $7000: 13 days
$7000- $8000: 14 days
$8000- $9000: 9 days
$9000-$10000: 2 days
$10000-$11000: 1 day
$11000-$12000: 6 days
$12000-$13000: 17 hours
$13000-$14000: 4 hours
$14000-$15000: 10 hours
$15000-$16000: 5 hours
$16000-$17000: 2 hours
$17000-$18000: 10 minutes
$18000-$19000: 3 minutes

$19666-$14000: 4 days

Bitcoin has "crashed" 30% SIX TIMES in 2017.
Each "crash" has been followed by an increase of: 76%, 237%, 183%, 165%, 152%.
Bitcoin takes 7 steps forward, 2 steps back, 7 steps forward, 2 steps back.

Every 2 steps back is heralded as the end of #bitcoin.

In need of any book(.pdf) relating to any subject/field or topic? Go to your browser and type: www.pdfdrive.net and u will get access to millions of books u need for free. Unlimited downloads. You may browse by title or author, etc. Currently 274376478 books are available for free and every minutes around 50 new books are added to the database. All downloads are free

DSM

The contrarian secret to success

Many of us ask ourselves these questions when we reflect on the past. Notice the common theme. What have I achieved this week? What was my proudest accomplishment this year? What is my new year’s resolution? What can I do better? The focus is on accomplishments, past and future. Now try flipping the script. Instead of asking what you accomplished this week, instead ask this question: What have I failed at this week?

Sara Blakely is the world’s youngest self made female billionaire who started from the scratch selling fax machines door-to-door. When she was growing up, Sara’s father would ask her and her brother the same question over dinner every week. What have you failed at this week? If Sara didn’t have an answer, her father would be disappointed. Compare this to the typical exchange that takes place over a family dinner. What did you learn in school this week? Who got an A on his exam? Who made it to the football team? These exchanges only reinforce what is painfully obvious. Achievements are good. Failures are bad.

The fear of failure is in our genetic programming. Centuries ago, while failure meant getting eaten alive by a lion, today’s failure merely means shame, or a conflict or a restart. You’re unlikely to die from it. As uncomfortable as it is, failure is a prerequisite to success. Niels Bohr, the Noble Prize winner had it right: “An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”

In asking his children what they failed at each week, Sara’s father gave them the breathing room to tackle interesting problems, and yes, to fail. To him, not trying was far more disappointing than failure itself. This is not an endorsement of failure for the sake of failure. Failure, by itself, isn’t enough. You must reflect on it, learn from it, and improve on your next attempt.

Hence the review question: What have you failed at this week? If you don’t have a good answer to this, you’re not trying hard enough.

Quotes :

The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. And you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins. – Bob Moawad

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind a faithful servant; but we honor the servant and have forgotten the gift – Albert Einstein

In a world of change, the learners shall inherit the earth, while the learned shall find themselves perfectly suited for a world that no longer exists. - Eric Hoffer

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned. I’m a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will. - Antonio Gramsci

Something to think about :

A restaurant desires hungry customers for the same reason a news organization desires angry ones.

Any doubt on future of ebusiness?
(Guests on @airbnb over New Year's)

2017: 3 million+
2016: 2 million
2015: 1.1 million
2014: 540,000
2013: 250,000
2012: 108,000
2011: 31,000
2010: 6,000
2009: 1,400

While the focus was on Bitcoin, Google backed cryptocurrency startup Ripple (XRP) skyrocketed in 2017 from $0.006 on January 1st to $2.30 on December 31st — a return of 38,000%.

Important Notice :

It's recommended for regulars to avoid morning walks from 1st to 10th Jan 2018. Heavy crowd of new resolutionaries is expected during this period.

Situation will get normal from 11th Jan. :):):)