Self Help & Misc. Instresting Stuff.

DSM

DD,

Re. Not a quote by Sun Tzu, Can't be - Is just a supposition and not based on fact. There are 100's of Google links that will attribute the quote to him. (Now don't say that Google too is wrong) :)

Again on Antony Robbins - I disagree. A speaker, author and an adivisor to presidents, billionaires and millions of people across the globe who changed the perception of self help as seeing a psychiatrist who would take years to find the cause (rather than fix the issue) to be opedial complex or such to taking charge of one's life in one hand and creating one's own destiny and making a change in a few hours, days, weeks or month is the reason that he is on top of his field.

Why do I say that? Because I have read all his books (other than the one last published Money) And did I benefit? Absolutely. One personal example was the confidence that it gave me to get nominated to represent my (previous) company on seminars abroad and to speak in front of 500 people for 3 consecutive years.

And re. Sun Tzu's greatness - Absolutely no doubt about it. But no connection to Anthony Robbins or to the quote.

No, my friend, this is not by Sun Tzu. Can't be. There is no profoundness, no beauty of wisdom in it. It is a drivel with 'I' this 'I' that. And it can only come from some con artist like anthony robbins. Of late, it's becoming fad to put sh*t out on net under the name of some dead great man just to garner more traffic or more LIKES. Sad really.

Here for example is Sun Tzu's hallmark thought clarity:

“If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

Dax Devil

DD,

Re. Not a quote by Sun Tzu, Can't be - Is just a supposition and not based on fact. There are 100's of Google links that will attribute the quote to him. (Now don't say that Google too is wrong) :)

Again on Antony Robbins - I disagree. A speaker, author and an adivisor to presidents, billionaires and millions of people across the globe who changed the perception of self help as seeing a psychiatrist who would take years to find the cause (rather than fix the issue) to be opedial complex or such to taking charge of one's life in one hand and creating one's own destiny and making a change in a few hours, days, weeks or month is the reason that he is on top of his field.

Why do I say that? Because I have read all his books (other than the one last published Money) And did I benefit? Absolutely. One personal example was the confidence that it gave me to get nominated to represent my (previous) company on seminars abroad and to speak in front of 500 people for 3 consecutive years.

And re. Sun Tzu's greatness - Absolutely no doubt about it. But no connection to Anthony Robbins or to the quote.
personal opinion, my friend. Frankly, I always found these modern evangalists no better than snake oil peddlers - miracle workers only for the gullible. I have traveled enough psychological inroads during my study and practice to know how harmful these guys are. I wrote a couple of articles during that time on these scamsters. And I am not the only one. Even in mainstream, social scientists and behavioural psychologists are getting alrarmed. There is a very popular book on these guys by Steve Salerno - SHAM - How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless. Read it to see the other side of the coin.
Generally speaking, they are revered more in 3rd world poor countries, because these are the countries which are corrupt at grassroot level, with clsoed economic avenues, with hardly any civic maturity or propriety, and yet the young people in these countries like everywhere have natural tendency to dream the American dream. And these people supply the mental dope - for a price.

Anyway, each to his own.

BTW, the following is at random I found by googling 'Anothony robbins sham':

Tony Robbins: think about it…

We all know who this guy is right? Every other night he’s on TV real late (here in Australia anyway) telling us that in order for us to live successful, fulfilling lives we first need to come pray at the temple of Tony.

Let me get right to the point, at best i think the whole idea behind Tony Robbins’ self help motivational crap is a bit contrived, somewhat dishonest and contains a lot of inconsistencies. At worst I think Anthony Robbins is an absolute rotten scumbag.

First of all, he claims he gets joy out of helping people. He claims anyone can use his system to improve their life in some way. I think it goes more like this; he gets money out of helping people, anyone who can afford to give him a few hundred bucks for some overpriced crud can use his system to alter their own life in some way (possibly just by making them a few hundred bucks closer to derelict, plus positively). But seriously, his busines plan really only includes helping himself, a few celebrities who’ll say they used his system or his guidance in some non-descript way for a quick $10K, and i guess a few ad agencies and hotel conference facilities.

His basic pitch is that by changing your attitude, your life will become better in every way. He uses himself as the prime example.

For me this poses a huge problem, if enough people try to follow in his footsteps and become a big success just like him, the global economy will grind to a positively affirmed halt and society will decay into nothing more than 6 billion positive thinking, self centered, useless morons.

How the hell can everyone be like Tony Robbins and be a mega rich motivational speaker? Who will they motivate? There’s only room for a handful of successful motivational speakers per country at most. Any more than that would require a massive increase in the number of hopeless and impressionable idiots in the population. I understand that this section of society is expanding, but not fast enough. Eventually there’d only be two types of people, the motivators and their faithful herds of morons. What would happen then? It’s just not sustainable. Who would be doing the useful and necesary tasks required to maintain and propel humanity?

Ok, so maybe you’re thinking other people can use his example, but apply it to other professions and areas of life, so it will work out and Tony Robbins doesn’t suck…

Wrong. He definitely does. The other examples that are given in the ads come in only 2 varieties: super succesful celebrities, and regular joes who’ve managed to make some minor improvement in their life. This almost proves the whole thing is a scam.

One of the celebrities who claims Tony helped him achieve is Quincy Jones. Quincy Jones had already produced the highest selling album in history when TonyRobbins was still sitting as like a fat, unmotivated gastropod, yet to transform himself using the power within.

But what about the regular people who claim to have used his system? If there’s even one quarter as much worth in the books and CDs as Robbins claims, these people are complete failures.

Using his system, you’re supposed to able to become super-rich and succesful in every way. Incredible physical strength and physique, total mental toughness and confidence, huge bank balance and financial independence, oceans of respect and social status, plus a really hot spouse are all to be expected by people who listen to this guy.

Instead of this superhero-like life transformation, these people are achieving ‘amazing’ things such as:
•losing 15 pounds
•reaching some minor career milestone
•improving relations with their loved ones
•finally fulfilling their dream of mastering the pogo stick.

Weren’t they paying attention when they had the CD on? Is this what they achieved on day 1 only?

Why choose to only lose 15 pounds when they could have easily become Mr. Universe with the help of TR…

I don’t get it. Oh no, wait… I do.

Tony Robbins is a rotten scumbag.

capriciousmind dot com

DSM

DD,

Have you read any book of Anthony Robbins? I have, and having read the books I fully disagree. And you have rightly said - it is your personal opinion - but it is not based on facts.

Anthony Robbins has made popular NLP which was founded by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. Have read books by these guys as well, and what Anthony Robbins has done is to popularize the concept of NLP and brought it to millions. And the reason NLP being accepted as a great tool is that it creates breakthrough in deep rooted issues in a practical manner that does not require months or years of treatment. So your argument of NLP being snake oil is just a cliche and not borne out by reality.

And again, to make an assertion that Anthony Robbing is more popular in the 3rd world 'poor countries, (BTW, where did you get the facts?) because these are the countries which are corrupt at grassroot level, with hardly any civic maturity or propriety' is a generalized sweeping opinion. On the contrary seminars of Anthony Robbins cost thousands of dollars and are held in expensive locales mostly in the US. And bulk of the income is derived from these, books (which again are not cheap) and from consultancy to millionaires, billionaires, presidents and FBI (Surely all these guys are not gullible or uneducated to buy 'snake oil')?

And as to the criticism, for somebody who is popular and interacted with millions of people, there are bound to be a handful. Do people believe that the moon landing was a hoax? Yes, on the net you will find 'proof' of that. What about those claiming the world is flat? Yes, there is a society for that too. We can chose to believe what we want. Be flippant or dismissive as well. We all have opinions, that is fine. But when the reality and facts clash with opinion, it is wisdom to re-evaluate opinion.

My 2C.

personal opinion, my friend. Frankly, I always found these modern evangalists no better than snake oil peddlers - miracle workers only for the gullible. I have traveled enough psychological inroads during my study and practice to know how harmful these guys are. I wrote a couple of articles during that time on these scamsters. And I am not the only one. Even in mainstream, social scientists and behavioural psychologists are getting alrarmed. There is a very popular book on these guys by Steve Salerno - SHAM - How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless. Read it to see the other side of the coin.
Generally speaking, they are revered more in 3rd world poor countries, because these are the countries which are corrupt at grassroot level, with clsoed economic avenues, with hardly any civic maturity or propriety, and yet the young people in these countries like everywhere have natural tendency to dream the American dream. And these people supply the mental dope - for a price.

Anyway, each to his own.

BTW, the following is at random I found by googling 'Anothony robbins sham':

Dax Devil

DSM, we can go on and on, and still we would be looking at the world thorugh our personal lenses of experiences. So let's just agree to disagree.

BTW, a couple of times we had such disagreements, but no matter what, I must say, you came across as a thorough gentleman who knows how not to be disagreeble while in disagreement. Such learned maturity, I wish, I had encountered more often during my stay here. I will keep in touch with you on your threads, friend.

DSM, we can go on and on, and still we would be looking at the world thorugh our personal lenses of experiences. So let's just agree to disagree.

BTW, a couple of times we had such disagreements, but no matter what, I must say, you came across as a thorough gentleman who knows how not to be disagreeble while in disagreement. Such learned maturity, I wish, I had encountered more often during my stay here. I will keep in touch with you on your threads, friend.
Too gracious on both's part ! I have never seen such maturity very often .

Esp in the online world ! Ego says only I am right respect ) says you may be right in ur own way and I may be in my own way let's agree to disagree .

We have seen ppl stooping to low levels in debates which negates any benefit in discussion .

With warm regards
Sumit Bhatia

DSM

Thanks DD for your kind words. I have said this before : That you have strong views, and respect you for that. And you sir, are big enough to consider what I have said with an open mind though you think the contrary. So as you say, let's agree to disagree.

The point of posting and being on the forum is to read, think and reflect... and to learn and to grow and sometime take life a bit easy and be entertained - though unfortunately more often it becomes a tool to pass time. And it would stunt all growth if all had to only agree to each other. :lol::lol::lol: So thanks for making me to dig back into what I had read long time back.

Take care and see you around. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Vertigo_1985

In the post by Dax.. lets replace the person being talked about Anthony by any other motivational speaker say Bob proctor, zig zaglar or some mystic or some guru.. will it make any difference ? interestingly none. So does it actually prove something about Anthony ? i dont think so. Its like a general template of frustration used very commonly.

The only person getting reflected through that post(whoever wrote it) was the writer itself and sadly it doesn't sound positive and even worse is the ignorance or lack of self awareness.

Another interesting thing is how strongly we fight for our beliefs. A perfectly logical, rational, intelligent man ignores facts, logic when his beliefs are challenged, sometimes its like its a matter of life or death. We believe that we are open minded but actually how many of us are truly open minded ? Do we even know what open minded is ?

DSM