Self Help & Misc. Instresting Stuff.

DSM

Vertigo_1985

The planet has – or rather had- a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for the problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn’t the small green peices of paper that were unhappy.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

DSM

Great quote Vertigo. I think I should read the book.

However, in the analogy, replace green piece of paper with gold trinkets, beads, cattle, salt, bushel of wheat, better weapons etc - all these are are what people love to accumulate. So in places where there is no notion of currency, people will still like to have more land, cattle, better houses, or house by the sea etc. And if we did not have the drive to better our lives in some way, what would we really live for besides food, shelter and sex? And if so, how would that be different from the chimps?

Capitalism and greenback has many flaws, but one of the proponents of capitalism and free markets was Ayn Rand. Reading mostly two of her books : Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged (thick and difficult to go thru about 1,000 pages odd) changed much of my view on the subject. Worth a read.

The planet has – or rather had- a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for the problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn’t the small green peices of paper that were unhappy.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Vertigo_1985

Great quote Vertigo. I think I should read the book.

However, in the analogy, replace green piece of paper with gold trinkets, beads, cattle, salt, bushel of wheat, better weapons etc - all these are are what people love to accumulate. So in places where there is no notion of currency, people will still like to have more land, cattle, better houses, or house by the sea etc. And if we did not have the drive to better our lives in some way, what would we really live for besides food, shelter and sex? And if so, how would that be different from the chimps?

Capitalism and greenback has many flaws, but one of the proponents of capitalism and free markets was Ayn Rand. Reading mostly two of her books : Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged (thick and difficult to go thru about 1,000 pages odd) changed much of my view on the subject. Worth a read.
Yup, like other systems.. religion, education, marriage ...capitalism have their own flaws but its the most practical and has survived the test of times.
In born rich Bob proctor says we should love ppl and use money(or any material thing), its when its done other way round we have problems.
Fountainhead was very good.
This topic is quite vast, maybe we can have a discussion on it on weekend.

DSM

Hand-written passports invalid from today

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-from-today/story-r4CmsVBlAJ60xc9YIkd7dJ.html

As per a government directive, hand-written passports will not be valid from Thursday. The government had asked those in possession of hand-written passports to get machine-readable ones with bar codes by November 24.
Hand-written passports were issued prior to 2001.

The government had decided to discontinue with hand-written passports in accordance with recommendations of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to incorporate biometric data in the machine readable travel documents. “Hand-written passports have become invalid from today. Machine-readable passports have greater protection against fraudulent practices and tampering,” said a government official.

DSM

Tony Robbins' secret to wealth has nothing to do with money - Kathleen Elkins

http://www.businessinsider.com/tony-robbins-secret-to-wealth-2015-11

Anthony (Tony) Robbins has clearly figured out a thing or two about money. He went from a cash-strapped upbringing to an estimated net worth of $440 million, has coached some of the wealthiest people in the world, and even wrote a book about mastering your money, "MONEY: Master The Game." His financial perspective is unique — he does not equate wealth with a dollar sign. In an episode of Lewis Howes' podcast, "The School of Greatness," Robbins shared what he calls the secret to wealth: gratitude.

He credits his philosophy to Sir John Templeton, an investment pioneer who turned $10,000 into billions during the World War II era. Despite his massive success buying low and selling high, when Robbins personally asked Templeton about how he got so wealthy, Templeton didn't mention anything about investments or the stock market. "I asked him, 'What is the secret to wealth?'" Robbins tells Howes. "And his response was, 'You know it. You teach it — it's gratitude.' "I asked him 'Why do you say that?' And he said: Because if you have a billion dollars, and every day you live pissed off and frustrated, the quality of your life is called pissed off and frustrated. But if you have next to nothing, and are grateful for whatever it is you have, you're the richest person that you're going to know. It doesn't matter how much money you've got if you don't have gratitude. That's not to say you can't have both gratitude and money, as Robbins and Templeton exemplify.

DSM

The British have a sense of wit. An example of such from Tony Blair's new book.

'I had regularly started jogging out of Downing Street . On each run I happened to jog past a hooker (prostitute) standing on the same street corner, day after day. With some apprehension I would brace myself as I approached her for what was most certainly to follow.

"Fifty Pounds!" she would shout from the kerb.

"No way, 50pence!" I fired back.

This ritual between myself and the hooker continued for days.

I'd run by and she'd yell, "Fifty Pounds!"

And I'd yell back "50pence!"

One day, however, my wife Cherie decided that she wanted to accompany me on my jog.

As we jogged nearer the problematic street corner, I realised the "pro" would bark her £50 offer and Cherie would wonder what I had really been doing on all my past outings.I realised I'd need to have a damn good explanation for my illustrious lawyer wife. As we jogged into the turn that would take us past the corner, I became even more apprehensive than usual. Sure enough, there was the hooker. I tried to avoid the prostitute's eyes as she watched the pair of us jog past. Then, from the pavement, the hooker yelled,

"See what you get for 50 pence?!!"

Last edited:

DSM

A friend from Auckland sent me this pic.....

SevenD

Their justice was also swift, shoot at sight.
We harboured Kasab for years, incurring avoidable public money before doing him in.:annoyed::confused: and now we are gearing to play cricket with the same perpetrator's, to fill their coffers, ignoring the sacrifice of those killed, the pain and suffering of families who've lost a loved one.
In one of the TV interviews just after Mody was elected, the anchor asked him if talks would continue with Pakistan and Narendra Mody answered "Goliyoon Ki goonj me baat cheet kahan sunai dayghi." A Proud moment for Indians. Don't know what has changed now, why are we kowtowing to such merciless killers, and loosing our respect internationally of being a weak nation not capable of defending its own people.
About 127 people died and France declared war on the perpetrators!!.