Secure your PC from Malware, Spyware and Adware!

R

ratan jain

And I thought I was secure with antivirus and a firewall

Makes me think, I dont know that much about data security after all.....
But hey my clients THINK I know a LOT .... and thats why they pay me :)
I am seriously relieved that data security is not my main field of work anymore....
Hope my clients dont read this :)

And even if they do, they dont know me by the name of Ratan Jain :)

Or any of my so called aliases I am supposed to have :)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hari09omkar

And I thought I was secure with antivirus and a firewall

Makes me think, I dont know that much about data security after all.....
But hey my clients THINK I know a LOT .... and thats why they pay me :)
I am seriously relieved that data security is not my main field of work anymore....
Hope my clients dont read this :)

And even if they do, they dont know me by the name of Ratan Jain :)

Or any of my so called aliases I am supposed to have...
Good one Ratan.....:D

kkseal

Hi Kalyan,

Just Happen To Notice Your Query.

Try A Hardware Based Little Thing Called AlphaShield Google it to find out more about it. If You Like What You Read Let Me Know If You Have Problem Getting Hold Of It, I Can Get My Office In NY to send it to me.

By The Way I Am Already Using It.....Seems OK So Far...:)

Warm Regards

SavantGarde
Thanks Savant, but for now prefer to keep my costs as low as possible (till i can hopefully build at least a subsistence level interest income which'll allow me to take up trading FT)

BTW, i already have an AntiSpy with HIPS - a little dumb but thorough - & am currently looking for a good lite sandbox (free offcourse ;)).

Will eventually go for a router.

Regards,
Kalyan.

Last edited:

SavantGarde

Hi BAV,

Wow! You Did A Lot Of Research On This Can't Fault Your Research. Anyways I Think I Got This One For Less Than 3 Dollars, I Think I Paid A Little More For Shipping To U.S. From eBay Ofcourse...:) & Can't Really Ask Much More Of This Than What It Delivers, Considering I Got It Practically Free.

OK If Anybody Has A Bit Of Moolah To Splurge, I Would Suggest Cisco Pix.

As Always Warm Regards

SavantGarde

Hi Savant,

I am doing fine. This product has been there since 2002 and I have received various reports by talking to users about this. Some have actually experienced drop in speed. Many say it works fine. But what I gathered from people who are very well respected in the security industry is that this is just a router with SPI and NAT (for selective packet filtering and port forwarding), *BUT* where users cannot change the firmwire settings at will, *and* another level of firmwire backup so that it is set back to factory settings if changed by malicious software (ya it has software, unlike what was thought previously). Product is okay , but costly.
I would suggest a *wired* router from linksys (available at all major cities in India or ordered online) with SPI and NAT (latter included by default) will do the job fine. Alphashield is great tool for users who are not comfortable in tweaking with the firmwire/settings etc. Otherwise it is as bad or good as any hardware FW.

And yes, whether you have AS or Router, its better to keep a lightweight FW like OnlineArmour *free* with HIPS enabled, cos you never know when the router can be breached!

This is a section that needs lots of contribution. Looking forward to more from you!

Best Regards,
BAV

SavantGarde

Hi BAV,

Went Through My Paypal Receipts Infact A Little Correction On My part Considering I Bought 3 Items From The Same Seller & Alphashield was 5.74 Dynex Numeric/Spreadsheet K/B was 0.99 & Apple USB Power Adapter was also 0.99
Total Damages Including Shipping was 17.63 Including 5.00 Discount On Shipping For Multiple Items.

Please Disregard The The Figures Mentioned Earlier & Aplogise For The Wrong Figures Considering I Bought It On 2nd Feb 2007.

Warm Regards

SavantGarde

beginner_av

Hi BAV,

Went Through My Paypal Receipts Infact A Little Correction On My part Considering I Bought 3 Items From The Same Seller & Alphashield was 5.74 Dynex Numeric/Spreadsheet K/B was 0.99 & Apple USB Power Adapter was also 0.99
Total Damages Including Shipping was 17.63 Including 5.00 Discount On Shipping For Multiple Items.

Please Disregard The The Figures Mentioned Earlier & Aplogise For The Wrong Figures Considering I Bought It On 2nd Feb 2007.

Warm Regards

SavantGarde
Whoa? Hey thats a great price you paid for the stuff! Perfect to use. But do a speed test if possible and let us know. That would be of great help.

SavantGarde

Hi BAV,

Not Using Very Much These Days With It, If You Want I Can Send It Across To You.

You Can Keep It & Do All The Test You Want

:)

SavantGarde

Whoa? Hey thats a great price you paid for the stuff! Perfect to use. But do a speed test if possible and let us know. That would be of great help.