Secure your PC from Malware, Spyware and Adware!

kkseal

Something with a HIPS feature is useful i think (Has a slight pre-emptive edge, all the rest is reactive). Also a sandbox can only be an addl layer - positioned somewhere between the FW & the real-time shields of your AV/AS - but hardly a substitute for anything (as they are often touted to be) I'd like one that is light Any suggestions?

Regards,
Kalyan.

beginner_av

Something with a HIPS feature is useful i think (Has a slight pre-emptive edge, all the rest is reactive). Also a sandbox can only be an addl layer - positioned somewhere between the FW & the real-time shields of your AV/AS - but hardly a substitute for anything (as they are often touted to be) I'd like one that is light Any suggestions?

Regards,
Kalyan.
slight preemptive edge? may be the only edge. but you need to know the birds and bees of your system for this. Imagine a classical HIPS asking that HKLM wants to install godknowssomeawkwardandunknownfromsomewhere.DLL. Would everone know what to do? .....and sandbox between FW and AV. software fw mostly checks for outbound connection. And it may take AV years (speed wrt malware injection and delivery of payload) to update heuristics to read/locate/isolate malware signature. Till that time sandbox or its different avatars are the only solution.

SavantGarde

Hi Kalyan,

Just Happen To Notice Your Query.

Try A Hardware Based Little Thing Called AlphaShield Google it to find out more about it. If You Like What You Read Let Me Know If You Have Problem Getting Hold Of It, I Can Get My Office In NY to send it to me.

By The Way I Am Already Using It.....Seems OK So Far...:)

Warm Regards

SavantGarde

Regards,
Kalyan.

Hi Kalyan,

Just Happen To Notice Your Query.

Try A Hardware Based Little Thing Called AlphaShield Google it to find out more about it. If You Like What You Read Let Me Know If You Have Problem Getting Hold Of It, I Can Get My Office In NY to send it to me.

By The Way I Am Already Using It.....Seems OK So Far...:)

Warm Regards

SavantGarde
Thank you, i didn't know about it ...informative and good.

so as we move out of pc with this device ..surely pc performance should improve in terms of speed.

regards
suba

SavantGarde

Hi BAV,

Hmmm.......Long Time No See & No Talk, How Art Thou.

You Have Vast Knowledge BAV, In This Regard......Anyways Better Speed Is Not Something That Improves The Speed Many Folds But Just Marginally If One Was Connected Through VPN & Not Using Anti-Virus. I Have Been Using This With My Laptop Never Really Paid Attention To The Speed or Did Any Comparative Speed Testing, Probably 'Cause I Got This Stuff Just For Safer Connection Where I Could Be In Control Of The Ports.
I Think You Will Understand More From Their Website Than I Did.

Warm Regards

SavantGarde

Can you pls specify why it should give better speed?

Thanks

try a combination of AVG Antivirus + Windows firewall + AVG Antispyware... Cost = 0 remember to keep your windows updated.

Other light on resources softwares are Avast Antivirus, Zonealarm Firewall, Spybot S&D to choose from. All have free versions available.

beginner_av

Hi BAV,

Hmmm.......Long Time No See & No Talk, How Art Thou.

You Have Vast Knowledge BAV, In This Regard......Anyways Better Speed Is Not Something That Improves The Speed Many Folds But Just Marginally If One Was Connected Through VPN & Not Using Anti-Virus. I Have Been Using This With My Laptop Never Really Paid Attention To The Speed or Did Any Comparative Speed Testing, Probably 'Cause I Got This Stuff Just For Safer Connection Where I Could Be In Control Of The Ports.
I Think You Will Understand More From Their Website Than I Did.

Warm Regards

SavantGarde
Hi Savant,

I am doing fine. This product has been there since 2002 and I have received various reports by talking to users about this. Some have actually experienced drop in speed. Many say it works fine. But what I gathered from people who are very well respected in the security industry is that this is just a router with SPI and NAT (for selective packet filtering and port forwarding), *BUT* where users cannot change the firmwire settings at will, *and* another level of firmwire backup so that it is set back to factory settings if changed by malicious software (ya it has software, unlike what was thought previously). Product is okay , but costly.
I would suggest a *wired* router from linksys (available at all major cities in India or ordered online) with SPI and NAT (latter included by default) will do the job fine. Alphashield is great tool for users who are not comfortable in tweaking with the firmwire/settings etc. Otherwise it is as bad or good as any hardware FW.

And yes, whether you have AS or Router, its better to keep a lightweight FW like OnlineArmour *free* with HIPS enabled, cos you never know when the router can be breached!

This is a section that needs lots of contribution. Looking forward to more from you!

Best Regards,
BAV

Last edited: