Secure your PC from Malware, Spyware and Adware!

C

Czar

true dada i just received a debit from abn saying i bought air tickets in New Zealand for 53k, we have to worry about our PC along with opposite vendors PC too...

WoW i know so little about these things,as per my son's guidance i never transfer funds online from the computer i trade or surf.
well,you can do all that ...if you really have ... deepfreeze, zone alarm and windows uptodate patches

deep freeze very lite and easy to use.
zone alarm ...good firewall with anti virus and antispy ware.

zone alarm if configured properly ...nothing from your pc can communicate with internet unless you allow...the notable point is as soon as you start your pc and connect to internet..lot of installed softwares keep trying to communicate with there trusted zones (for example to check regular updates.) without user knowledge...zone alarm will show pop up window saying so and so application is attempting to connect to internet.you can denay it from do it so with the available option denay button.

if you take for instance internet explorer 7,it track key strokes...on key board..wih zone alarm you can denay it and carry your work as usual.

deepfreeze..in locked mode. really helps you to install anysoftware and test and remove it completely with out any problem by just restarting your pc.

regards
suba

U

uasish

suba_stocks,

I use NOD 3.0.621.0 ,this deep freeze thing has to be learnt from my support guys.Thks.

Asish

beginner_av

hey asishda, along with all these what you need is a HIPS that works on behavior analysis along with white listing. and for heavens sake dont use zone alarm free edition, it is way toooo kiddish. use Pro, heaven and hell difference. there are hundreds of ways to trick/byepass firewall.
now do you ask "Can you prove it?" Well take NOD 3 that you are using. To provide real time analysis and web protection, all programs pass through ekrn.exe (unless you set it otherwise in advanced settings) thereby bypassing the firewall. Even all the Pros et al, cos it passes through their proxies (Huh!). ANd you have the impression that only ekrn.exe is accessing the net.
Generally to everyone:
security is not such a simple topic that you say I use this and this. This is not a buy and press button. No sir, there are methods to bypass many. so you have to first define your needs, and then IMHO go for a layered approach. And be careful cause there will be the Zero day attack that may breach what you have. And of course dont forget to keep an image back up for immediate recovery!
Like the previous gentlemen say. They use such stuff, cos they feel that is enough for them. Many dont even use a AV, cos they feel that DeepFreeze protects the BIOS?CMOS. and many use double lyer virtualization, in case one is breached. So its entirely upto you. Needs on one side, Affordability, Compatibility and Simplicity on the other. Only you can balance them.
There are no correct and incorrect ways.

And finally use your common sense, not what Mr Padosi / Mr Seller or Mr Support guy told you. How many of you use script blocker? or simply a Limited User Account?

hey asishda, along with all these what you need is a HIPS that works on behavior analysis along with white listing. and for heavens sake dont use zone alarm free edition, it is way toooo kiddish. use Pro, heaven and hell difference. there are hundreds of ways to trick/byepass firewall.
now do you ask "Can you prove it?" Well take NOD 3 that you are using. To provide real time analysis and web protection, all programs pass through ekrn.exe (unless you set it otherwise in advanced settings) thereby bypassing the firewall. Even all the Pros et al, cos it passes through their proxies (Huh!). ANd you have the impression that only ekrn.exe is accessing the net.
Generally to everyone:
security is not such a simple topic that you say I use this and this. This is not a buy and press button. No sir, there are methods to bypass many. so you have to first define your needs, and then IMHO go for a layered approach. And be careful cause there will be the Zero day attack that may breach what you have. And of course dont forget to keep an image back up for immediate recovery!
Like the previous gentlemen say. They use such stuff, cos they feel that is enough for them. Many dont even use a AV, cos they feel that DeepFreeze protects the BIOS?CMOS. and many use double lyer virtualization, in case one is breached. So its entirely upto you. Needs on one side, Affordability, Compatibility and Simplicity on the other. Only you can balance them.

And finally use your common sense, not what Mr Padosi / Mr Seller or Mr Support guy told you. How many of you use script blocker? or simply a Limited User Account?
i didn't get you what you really want to say ...are you suggesting that it is waste to use all those.

come out with your full clear suggestion ..what should be done to protect pc.

regards
suba

U

uasish

Generally to everyone:

Thks ,the same mssg you where trying to convey to me in the traderji chat room the other day.

beginner_av

i didn't get you what you really want to say ...are you suggesting that it is waste to use all those.

come out with your full clear suggestion ..what should be done to protect pc.

regards
suba
i have told a lot of things. pls be specific which part you did not get. i'll try to clarify.

to answer your question, are they a waste? NO. do they provide good (it can never be Foolproof or Full) protection? NO. And here I mean Zonealarm free.

The point is that if you (means anyone) thinks that using ZA free or Returnil or any AV is the end of all problems, NO.

i have told a lot of things. pls be specific which part you did not get. i'll try to clarify.

to answer your question, are they a waste? NO. do they provide good (it can never be Foolproof or Full) protection? NO. And here I mean Zonealarm free.

The point is that if you (means anyone) thinks that using ZA free or Returnil or any AV is the end of all problems, NO.
Thank you for replying.....

i think it is my mistake that i simply said zone alarm instead of zone alarm pro...... (i do update it daily ...)

i never mean to say anything is foolproof...but certainly life becomes easy by using them.....

example ...i test lot of softwares ..with out installing permanenetly ..that is just becuase of deepfreeze utility.. alerts shown by firewalls are always plus.

whether we follow others or not ...knowing about it is always a good idea,isn't it.

anyway ..thanks again.

regards
suba

My Setup :

Browser = Firefox with Noscript + Adblock and no. of other addons (mostly to facilitate routine things like G M A I L Manager, Nosquint, Colorful Tabs, Speed Dial, FEBE etc.). I've configured Firefox to delete all personal data when I close it. Personal data included browsing and download history, cache, cookies, authenticated sessions, saved forms and passwords. I use IE only when it is imperative to visit a site and it is impossible to open in Firefox, due to its security features.

AV = Quick Heal Anti Virus Plus 3-in1 2008

Firewall = Firewall by Quick Heal (Agnitum engine) that is bundled with their AV.

Spyware = Again another bundled product by Quick Heal [I feel spybot search & destroy is a better Anti-Spyware tool.]

What I feel is QH AV engine is very good and also its very lite in system's resources. Its firewall is no competition when compared with ZoneAlarm Pro. ZA Pro is the undisputed champion here.

security is not such a simple topic that you say I use this and this. This is not a buy and press button. No sir, there are methods to bypass many. so you have to first define your needs, and then IMHO go for a layered approach. And be careful cause there will be the Zero day attack that may breach what you have. ..........................And finally use your common sense, not what Mr Padosi / Mr Seller or Mr Support guy told you. How many of you use script blocker? or simply a Limited User Account?
I fully agree with b_av here, no matter how secure we feel after setting up the computer with all the latest security software, there is a smarter guy lurking out there who is eyeing to make your pc his home!

Last edited: