sectoral classification of stocks

lonstud

I want to classify stocks based on the sectors/industries they are operating in. For example, one of the classification can be PSU banks which shall include Canbk, denabank, sbin, sbbj, iob, sbt and so on.

Now I have found a tedious approach to look each companies' related companies in google finance and moneycontrol and do the process manually. Can somebody let me know if this kind of sectoral classification is already available?

TradeOptions

I want to classify stocks based on the sectors/industries they are operating in. For example, one of the classification can be PSU banks which shall include Canbk, denabank, sbin, sbbj, iob, sbt and so on.

Now I have found a tedious approach to look each companies' related companies in google finance and moneycontrol and do the process manually. Can somebody let me know if this kind of sectoral classification is already available?
1. Which particular stocks are you trying to classify into the respective sectors ? Just Nifty 50 Stocks only, or what ?

2. Do you just need the Sector Classification only, or if it must include the Industries Classification as well ?

Hopefully some user might have done this work already, so you might get the ready made list.

Best Regards

lonstud

I am looking to do this for all stocks traded since 2010. As per my work till now, there are 2035 different symbols which have been traded atleast once since January, 2010. I generally use term sector and industry classification interchangeable but after looking at definition here(http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/industrysector.asp), I am looking to classify as industry classification.

Thank you deba72 for the link. It is a good start.