Scalability issues

Hi All,

This question is for all users of Amibrokers, I want to start using Amibroker but wanted to be sure that it suits my purpose. I want to use Amibroker to write automated technical analysis strategies using AFL. I want to backtest these strategies and if I am satisfied with performance, then I want to be able to trade using these strategies.

I have otherwise heard good review about this software for Charting, Indicators, etc. I have heard it is good for back testing and optimization.

However I have heard some issues with it also like you can probably run only one symbol at a time inside one screen/chart of Amibroker. Also that there is either a limitation in the number of screens/charts that you can open or that if you open a number of screens / charts then your machine slows down so much that you better not open too many screens / charts. Is this true in your experience? How do you work around this?

trash

However I have heard some issues with it also like you can probably run only one symbol at a time inside one screen/chart of Amibroker. Also that there is either a limitation in the number of screens/charts that you can open or that if you open a number of screens / charts then your machine slows down so much that you better not open too many screens / charts. Is this true in your experience? How do you work around this?
All wrong.

And in regards to slowness. E.g. it depends on your machine's hardware and loaded historical data and it depends on your code. Lazy badly written code is not the fault of the software that gets slowed down by that bad code.

In regards to multiple symbols

You can open as many chart tabs you want

Or chart multiple symbols in one chart sheet of a tab

or apply multiple symbols in chart sheets

Last edited:

trash

And just another possibility is plotting multiple symbols to one chart pane.
So instead of hearsay from fantasia about limitations in fact there are no limitations at all in real world. :)

Ok, so I can run the same AFL on lets say 50 symbols and there is no discernible performance issue, I am not just interested in the most liquid tickers but also the less liquid tickers.

Also, can I run multiple symbols for more than one AFL code or indicator at the same time?

trash

Ok, so I can run the same AFL on lets say 50 symbols and there is no discernible performance issue, I am not just interested in the most liquid tickers but also the less liquid tickers.
As I said it depends on your hardware. If you have a 10 years old PC and compare that one with a modern PC of today then of course you will see differences if you run Amibroker or any other software on both ones. I think it should be clear. But on proper healthy PC and running or chart multiple symbols at same time there is not much difference. One thing that is important is to write proper efficient code that doesn't slow things down if in addition the code is thousands of lines long. And running multiple years of 1 minute data etc in a real-time environment where only short term is important doesn't make much sense.

Also, can I run multiple symbols for more than one AFL code or indicator at the same time?
What do you mean exactly? Please provide an example.

How did u do that?
See function SetForeign ...

a1b1trader

All wrong.

And in regards to slowness. E.g. it depends on your machine's hardware and loaded historical data and it depends on your code. Lazy badly written code is not the fault of the software that gets slowed down by that bad code.

In regards to multiple symbols

You can open as many chart tabs you want

Or chart multiple symbols in one chart sheet of a tab

or apply multiple symbols in chart sheets
Many thanks

How to do

1. To apply multiple symbols in chart sheets (Something new for me)
2. To open as many chart tabs you want

I can use tile horizontally facility. But it tiles all the windows, say if I have 6 windows, it will tile all 6 windows. But suppose if I want to tile 4 instead of 6. Then how to do it.

Thanks

Last edited:

trash

Many thanks

How to do

1. To apply multiple symbols in chart sheets (Something new for me)
I don't know how many times you want me to repeat it. Use SetForeign on top.

2. To open as many chart tabs you want

I can use tile horizontally facility. But it tiles all the windows, say if I have 6 windows, it will tile all 6 windows. But suppose if I want to tile 4 instead of 6. Then how to do it.

Thanks
Create different Layouts then! Then you can click between the layouts by a single double click. So i.e. you can click between 6 tiled view and 4 tiled view.

I don't know how many times you want me to repeat it. Use SetForeign on top.

Create different Layouts then! Then you can click between the layouts by a single double click. So i.e. you can click between 6 tiled view and 4 tiled view.
Trash Sir

Didnt get, what you explained to do.
Please do not get angry. We are not as expert as you, May be one day.
If you have explained it previously in any other thread, then please post link. Otherwise, please explain in some detail.

Thanks

manishchan

Trash Sir

Didnt get, what you explained to do.
Please do not get angry. We are not as expert as you, May be one day.
If you have explained it previously in any other thread, then please post link. Otherwise, please explain in some detail.

Thanks

In Ami.. under Basic chart you should have Price (Foreign) option. You can overlay this on the basic price chart. Then go to param you will have option to put a diff script.