Revisiting MF Portfolio with good funds

Currently I have below funds invested thru SIP's with portfolio size of 8 funds.

Large Cap
-----------
HDFC Top 200 Fund (G)
Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity Fund Plan A (G)
DSP BlackRock Top 100 Equity(G)

Large/Mid Cap
---------------
Reliance Regular Savings Equity (G)

Mid Cap
---------
IDFC Premier Equity Fund - Plan A (G)
Sundaram Select Midcap-(G)

Hybrid
-----------
HDFC Pudence Fund (G)

Sector
-----------
Reliance Diversified Power Sector Fund (G)

I wanted to reduce the size of portfolio, but not sure which funds to be removed as each fund looks better than other.

Please advise can I continue to hold all the funds or Please help in choosing only 5 or 6 funds.

Thanks in advance

--Raj

nikrod

Currently I have below funds invested thru SIP's with portfolio size of 8 funds.

Large Cap
-----------
HDFC Top 200 Fund (G)
Birla Sun Life Frontline Equity Fund Plan A (G)
DSP BlackRock Top 100 Equity(G)

Large/Mid Cap
---------------
Reliance Regular Savings Equity (G)

Mid Cap
---------
IDFC Premier Equity Fund - Plan A (G)
Sundaram Select Midcap-(G)

Hybrid
-----------
HDFC Pudence Fund (G)

Sector
-----------
Reliance Diversified Power Sector Fund (G)

I wanted to reduce the size of portfolio, but not sure which funds to be removed as each fund looks better than other.

Please advise can I continue to hold all the funds or Please help in choosing only 5 or 6 funds.

Thanks in advance

--Raj
Hi Raj,

Can you please post your allocations in these funds in percentage terms? That would help us in advise. Your current portfolio has all good funds and I do not see any reason to eliminate any fund except perhaps to remove one large cap. But that too will depend on your allocations.

Nikrod, here are my allocations in percentage.

HDFC Top 200 Fund = 21%
Birla Sun Life Frontline = 14%
DSP BlackRock Top 100 = 10%

Reliance Regular Savings = 14%

IDFC Premier Equity Fund = 14%
Sundaram Select Midcap = 7%

HDFC Pudence Fund = 14%

Reliance Div Power Sector = 7%

Large cap has 45 percent and midcap has 20 percent.
The main idea to reduce the size is for easy maintenance of portfolio,
Please suggest whether if any reallocation needed and size reduction is necessary or not.

Thanks
Raj

nikrod

Nikrod, here are my allocations in percentage.

HDFC Top 200 Fund = 21%
Birla Sun Life Frontline = 14%
DSP BlackRock Top 100 = 10%

Reliance Regular Savings = 14%

IDFC Premier Equity Fund = 14%
Sundaram Select Midcap = 7%

HDFC Pudence Fund = 14%

Reliance Div Power Sector = 7%

Large cap has 45 percent and midcap has 20 percent.
The main idea to reduce the size is for easy maintenance of portfolio,
Please suggest whether if any reallocation needed and size reduction is necessary or not.

Thanks
Raj
In my openion, you should keep funds in your your portfolio as it is along with allocations. You have built it up in very well maner.

Only doubt I have is, role of HDFC Prudence is the portfolio. If you already have enough debt exposure, you can allocate Prudence's share to a pure equity fund like BSL Frontline or DSPBR Top 100. Currently your fund house allocation goes as follows

HDFC: 35%
Reliance: 21%
IDFC: 14%
BSL: 14%
DSPBR: 10%
Sundaram: 7%

By eliminating HDFC Prudence & allocating the funds to DSPBR or BSL will diversify the portfolio in AMC way as well.

Thanks a lot Nikrod for your Valuable analysis.

The reason for including HDFC Prudence is, it is one the best fund in hybrid funds and simply do not want to miss that. But I can definitely reallocate some percentage from HDFC prudence to other funds.

I have PPF only for debt. I thought of adding Canara Robeco Income (G), looks like it is one of good debt fund, but dropped the idea as I already have plenty of funds in portfolio.

The portfolio size is little bit driving me crazy, In case if I want to choose 5 or 6 funds only, which one can I ignore ???

(I totally understand, it is not easy to say NO to any funds, thats how I was continuing and thought of taking others advice...)

--Raj

nikrod

Thanks a lot Nikrod for your Valuable analysis.

The reason for including HDFC Prudence is, it is one the best fund in hybrid funds and simply do not want to miss that. But I can definitely reallocate some percentage from HDFC prudence to other funds.

I have PPF only for debt. I thought of adding Canara Robeco Income (G), looks like it is one of good debt fund, but dropped the idea as I already have plenty of funds in portfolio.

The portfolio size is little bit driving me crazy, In case if I want to choose 5 or 6 funds only, which one can I ignore ???

(I totally understand, it is not easy to say NO to any funds, thats how I was continuing and thought of taking others advice...)

--Raj
Canara Robeco Income (G) in good fund and do not restrain from investing in a debt fund because of number of funds. Since it is another fund in debt category, you can go ahead with it. Ideally your portfolio should consists of 3 to 8 Equity funds and 2 to 5 debt funds. Your current portfolio is well within the limits of managibility.

If you use FREE portfolio manager of ValueReaserachOnline.com or MoneyControl.com, it will be easy to manage you portfolio. I personally find moneycontrol portfolio good for stocks and value research portfolio good for MF's.

Thanks Nikrod, You are correct. Even I was hesitating to remove any of these funds. I am also impressed with value research site. So I will add one debt fund.

One question on debt fund : I know for equity funds SIP is the best way to invest, but how about debt funds, whether SIP route is better or lumpsump investment will be better or lump sump investment in installments?

nikrod

Thanks Nikrod, You are correct. Even I was hesitating to remove any of these funds. I am also impressed with value research site. So I will add one debt fund.

One question on debt fund : I know for equity funds SIP is the best way to invest, but how about debt funds, whether SIP route is better or lumpsump investment will be better or lump sump investment in installments?
Thye best way to invest in debt funds is lump sum. If you consider debt funds equivalent to FD's, earlier you invest more intrest you will get.

Nikrod,

Do you suggest investing only one debt fund Canara Robeco Income (G) or should I diversify investing in two debt funds.

Can you please suggest any other good debt fund.

Thanks in advance.
-Raj