Restoring Traders/Investors Faith into Investing

rkkarnani

The ONE difference between amateurs and professional investors is that professionals don't use filters.

Read this line over and over again till you understand why it bears such importance. And if you do understand it's meaning, keep it to yourself.
A nice way to impart some knowledge! But not for those who are still in nursery class on FA ! :eek:
Dont post the answer in detail but do elaborate what you mean by "filters"? What are you referring to when you say 'filters'!
In TA , when we add a small amount to high or low etc. we call it a filter! :p

Mr.G

They use this software and enter criteria into it like setting and the software searches the market for stocks that meet that criteria.

rh6996

A best time to invest in a business is when it is in trouble. VTL was the one. I added it just because it was very very cheap, still it is. But also the worst business in my list which luckily qualifies to be wost investing. but the business is improving which can make your return very high. so hold for 5+ years and look out if they will make good acquisition like arvind did recently and bring down the debt/interest expense.

If debt goes up sell and book profit!!

im not sure about the suven life, my printer is dead havn't read recent annual reports but cannot comment anything yet its a mediocre business.
Would you say its right time to invest in JPASSOCIATES ???

I'm not a pro. I've barely started reading Security Analysis.

I'm active on this thread to get as much information as I can on valuation.

For my own personal use pre-evaluation, I've swapped out 10,000 crores market cap for 1,000 crores sales since sales are more concrete than market caps that may be driven by speculation. Here are a few companies that seem to be investment worthy:
-Ajanta Pharmacy
-Castrol
-Eicher Motors
-Emami
-ITC
-Kaveri Seed

Last edited:

rkkarnani

I'm not a pro. I've barely started reading Security Analysis.

I'm active on this thread to get as much information as I can on valuation.

For my own personal use pre-evaluation, I've swapped out 10,000 crores market cap for 1,000 crores sales since sales are more concrete than market caps that may be driven by speculation. Here are a few companies that seem to be investment worthy:
-Ajanta Pharmacy
-Castrol
-Eicher Motors
-Emami
-ITC
-Kaveri Seeds
I know I am even less knowledged in FA than most on this Forum. Was just thinking, what if you take the ratio of the Sales and Mkt Cap. ! I mean , where we find the Sales to be multiple times of the market cap, can we consider such Stock for Investment ? Example: Mkt cap is say 10 crores and sales are 50 crores!

Einstein

I personally don't like real estate/ cement / infrastructure /commodity sector.

I believe about a year ago I posted my theory in another thread to someone named praveen thaneja who was gold buyer. I believe commodity/asset prices will substantially go down as the QE ends and interest rates in US goes up.

stay away from real estate or related companies(infra) by the way, I have already post a chart about declining housing prices in Delhi and mumbai. Try to look for companies which are not in NSE 100.

I come across balance sheet when i use moneycontrol but i cannot conclude anything form the figures, having not studied commerce in academics.Would like to learn how to read a balance sheet and which terms are important.So far i just check the market capital, the total debt,the sales figure and the profit.Clearly this sort of analysis is something i am very rubbish at.How do i go about going from zero and learning a bit more gradually to get some basic understanding about balance sheet in an year or two.The objective is i should be able to learn how to relate market capital,debt,sales,profit/loss and other important considerations that i might need to.