Require Help in Reviewing my SIP MF portfolio

I have been investing for nearly one year thru SIP in below funds (all growth option). As a general thumb of rule every year, I want to review my portfolio and remove non performing funds or modify my portfolio with experts advice.

Please suggest whether my portfolio is good or any changes required here.
Also it could be great if the size is also reduced, I am not sure which one to be removed as all are looking good.

1. HDFC Top 200
2. DSP Top 100
3. Birla Frontline Equity Plan A

4. Reliance Regular Saving Equity

5. IDFC Premier Equity Plan A
6. Sundaram Select Midcap

7. HDFC Prudence
8. Reliance Div Power sector fund

Good choice of funds.

You may continue with these funds for another 2 -3 years. After that you may take a call on your fund selection. Performance chasing with mutual funds is usually a futile exercise. Future performance does not mimic past performance.

If you decide to reduce the number of funds, my choice would be, in order, 8, 3, 5, 4, 6, 2, 7, depending on the number of SIPs you want to continue.

Happy investing

I would say don't have more that two MFs in same category. eg. Large cap has 3 funds - this means essentially you are buying a large portion of the index. I would say reduce your headache by exiting/stopping further investments in 3, 6, 8.

yodlee99

You have very well performing funds in your portfolio. It is such a joy to see your funds grow in a bull market and you are in a good position to pick the best among cherry and strawberry;)
My suggestions are:

1. HDFC Top 200 --> Keep it going
2. DSP Top 100 --> Stop or switch to DSPBR Equity
3. Birla Frontline Equity Plan A --> Keep it going

4. Reliance Regular Saving Equity--> Keep it going

5. IDFC Premier Equity Plan A--> Keep it going
6. Sundaram Select Midcap --> Switch into 5. IDFC Pre eq A

7. HDFC Prudence --> Keep it going
8. Reliance Div Power sector fund --> Keep it going, if you are ok with a sector fund. BTW, this is expected to go up soon with investments in infrastructure.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yodlee,

Can you explain the reasons for
1. Stopping or switching of 2 over 3 (DSP top 100 over Birla Frontline Equity Plan A).

DSP equity is multicap fund right. I already have one multicap fund Rel Reg savings equity. Can we prefer multicap (DSP equity) fund over a large cap fund (DSP top 100)?

2. Stopping of 6 (Sundaram Midcap). Is it fine to choose only one midcap fund?

Any way I would like to continue Reliance Div Power sector fund.

yodlee99

DSPBR Equity is doing better and is more consistent over Top 100. Hence, I would suggest Equity over Top 100, even though you have another multi-cap. If you would prefer sticking with large cap, have just HDFC Top 200 and Birla SF Frontline A. Or else, you can add 1 from Fidelity Equity/Quantum Long term equity.
Since you wanted to consolidate, I suggested dropping 6. Sundaram select midcap as IDFC Premier equity-A is more consistent, for the last many years. Just 1 midcap fund is enough, as it is there to give you higher returns over long term investments. If you want higher returns and don't mind high risk, you can go with 2 midcap funds.
Rel Div power is doing well and will continue so. Invest small amounts totalling <10% of your portfolio in all the sectoral funds (put together). Suppose, they give higher returns and if it goes beyond 10%, bring it down to below 10%.