• I quit my job for trading and that has been a good decision

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • I regret quitting my job

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I balance trading with job perfectly

Votes: 31 33.3%

• Total voters

Dev.B

I am a software professional and interested in trading since 1 year.
During that time, I have developed backtesting system with EoD data and developed a trading strategy which looks promising.
However, I have started actively trading since only 2 months and the real trading results are at par with the strategy.

Should I quit my soul sucking job for full time trading?
Does anyone who has done the same have any advise?
Full time traders, please suggest....
I am also thinking the same way. But afraid of quitting job.

Looking at riskyman's post n suri112000 ; I think i got similar story to share. I have graduated from a good engg college in the rockfort city; worked for a company (called class) in shipbuilding industry for 5 years that i got placed into at campus. Things were looking good until I got placed under a miserable boss. Politics is only thing that he knew and didn't tolerate even remotely intelligent folks in his vicinity. Liked maintaining his pack of thumb suckers. Now we free folks here r a fine breed of horses and not suitable for a mule's job. I never liked the idea of an idiot ordering me to get his work done.

Started day trading on days when I took leave with a capital of 15000 but realized a few hundred bucks of gain is not worth it. In my first trade in nifty options (on the exiry day) i used 13000 of capital on buying calls/puts i don remember which one but bought appropriately as per my conviction. It quickly jumped to 18000 in an hour. Without booking 5k neat profit; i continued where my options expired worthless. I thought of this as my educational fee cum stupidity penalty. Then my broker seeing my low volume on options but steady (but insignificant) day trading activity introduced me to commodities futures in later half of 2012 where I started trade 10 lots of crude (which is one std NYMEX lot) with over a years savings in 2013. There were days when my salary at the time used to look like peanuts and a days reward was more than a few month's salary (At this very moment its in a year terms ;) I used to average abt a 50 cr daily turnover to book atleast 20k daily. I lost heavily when I stuck to my position on a day when crude dropped 5$. Tat was in later half of Jan 2013. I quit market for a while. Singed but not burnt. A fire wouldn't burn a phoenix . and old habits die hard. An addict always needs a fix.

Thru some good friend n mentors having faith in my ability as a professional i landed up In my second job where i was earning quite well (over a lakh a month ) to settle down in Mumbai. My employer was happy with me and surprized at why I would leave them. Mind you the job was taxing physically in terms of the hours I put in at work ; partly my own nature not to leave any work unfinished. Any game for that matter. ;) I have a completely opposite mindset while dealing with my positive trades.

I trade index options now and make heavy profits on rare trades tat I do. I trade once or twice I n a month although my last trade was abt two months ago but with a lot of certainty of the impending move. I like expose cash less frequently to market forces. But in the times tat I do expose ; make sure its at least 0.5-3 times of my investment. I trade in a few lacs at a time. Planning to resume my mcx hunt soon to get my daily evening fix of adding a certain amount (at least 10 days of normal works pay) . I m a gaming enthusiast n play till I master one.

Most importantly I trade as a way to gain some mental comfort apart from the obvious financial benefit. Also I m working on a startup with two other friends where we intend to get into hft as they both code very well. However for now; as I m out of rat race; I m master of my own time. Free to do what I want with the most important asset- time. Money is inconsequential. I am focussing on life more than I ever did. I know a trader friend of mine trading weekdays and running marathons on weekends. Great way to live life. Work hard play hard. In trading the work portion may even be minutes sometimes. Fast in fast out.

As riskyman pointed out; just need a net connection to figure out what to do. I am certainly not a master but like striking the nail when its hot. I want to make only 20 sequential trades tat could set me financially free. I am borrowing the great Warren buffets advice here. I u had a card with only 20 punches left; u would think very carefully to get it even punched once. Now trading doesn't require very deep thought as much as looking for a multi-bagger does. Hopefully I ll have more to share as my trade book gets filled.

Last edited:

sspms2002

Looking at riskyman's post n suri112000 ; I think i got similar story to share. I have graduated from a good engg college in the rockfort city; worked for a company (called class) in shipbuilding industry for 5 years that i got placed into at campus. Things were looking good until I got placed under a miserable boss. Politics is only thing that he knew and didn't tolerate even remotely intelligent folks in his vicinity. Liked maintaining his pack of thumb suckers. Now we free folks here r a fine breed of horses and not suitable for a mule's job. I never liked the idea of an idiot ordering me to get his work done.

Started day trading on days when I took leave with a capital of 15000 but realized a few hundred bucks of gain is not worth it. In my first trade in nifty options (on the exiry day) i used 13000 of capital on buying calls/puts i don remember which one but bought appropriately as per my conviction. It quickly jumped to 18000 in an hour. Without booking 5k neat profit; i continued where my options expired worthless. I thought of this as my educational fee cum stupidity penalty. Then my broker seeing my low volume on options but steady (but insignificant) day trading activity introduced me to commodities futures in later half of 2012 where I started trade 10 lots of crude (which is one std NYMEX lot) with over a years savings in 2013. There were days when my salary at the time used to look like peanuts and a days reward was more than a few month's salary (At this very moment its in a year terms ;) I used to average abt a 50 cr daily turnover to book atleast 20k daily. I lost heavily when I stuck to my position on a day when crude dropped 5$. Tat was in later half of Jan 2013. I quit market for a while. Singed but not burnt. A fire wouldn't burn a phoenix . and old habits die hard. An addict always needs a fix.

Thru some good friend n mentors having faith in my ability as a professional i landed up In my second job where i was earning quite well (over a lakh a month ) to settle down in Mumbai. My employer was happy with me and surprized at why I would leave them. Mind you the job was taxing physically in terms of the hours I put in at work ; partly my own nature not to leave any work unfinished. Any game for that matter. ;) I have a completely opposite mindset while dealing with my positive trades.

I trade index options now and make heavy profits on rare trades tat I do. I trade once or twice I n a month although my last trade was abt two months ago but with a lot of certainty of the impending move. I like expose cash less frequently to market forces. But in the times tat I do expose ; make sure its at least 0.5-3 times of my investment. I trade in a few lacs at a time. Planning to resume my mcx hunt soon to get my daily evening fix of adding a certain amount (at least 10 days of normal works pay) . I m a gaming enthusiast n play till I master one.

Most importantly I trade as a way to gain some mental comfort apart from the obvious financial benefit. Also I m working on a startup with two other friends where we intend to get into hft as they both code very well. However for now; as I m out of rat race; I m master of my own time. Free to do what I want with the most important asset- time. Money is inconsequential. I am focussing on life more than I ever did. I know a trader friend of mine trading weekdays and running marathons on weekends. Great way to live life. Work hard play hard. In trading the work portion may even be minutes sometimes. Fast in fast out.

As riskyman pointed out; just need a net connection to figure out what to do. I am certainly not a master but like striking the nail when its hot. I want to make only 20 sequential trades tat could set me financially free. I am borrowing the great Warren buffets advice here. I u had a card with only 20 punches left; u would think very carefully to get it even punched once. Now trading doesn't require very deep thought as much as looking for a multi-bagger does. Hopefully I ll have more to share as my trade book gets filled.
Yours is a very inspirational path and many would like to tread that way...
Congrats for becoming master of your time.. Keep sharing your valuable insights as it will drive others to reach their potential..

what else you need as a trader.........
:):):thumb:

I guess quit a job for trading is not really a good option for the newbies. You are taking risk from both the sides. If you are experienced one in trading and then quit your job is good option though.

TraderRavi

low risk profile
I was earning around 47k per month when I quit my job and went full time into trading. I was able to live under a budget of 25k when I was working and that too comfortably as per my opinion. I live a simple lifestyle and 25k a month is more than enough for me to live happily. I am making more than my salary now by trading. I was able to save up one year's salary for trading which I use as my capital now. Since, I am able to live under my previous budget now also, what ever remains, is split into two and one half is going to savings and another half to trading account. As for me trading, is interesting and it respects me, Market never makes office politics with me, it does not need me to keep on praising for promotion, and it does not ask me to work 50 hrs a week and that is why I like trading, I can be myself as a trader rather than my job in corporate culture.

I have many dreams in life which I hope that trading will help me to realize, travelling places and learning skills. Thanks.

Added note: I was a tax payer then as well as now. Taxes are more now than before, but that is how capitalism works, will soon be planning to settle down in a hill station after marriage with my family. Rents are cheaper and lifestyle is more than better there. Waiting for the best to happen yet ;).
very inspiring post !!! :clapping:
One day I will also quit job and trade the NF as Full Time Trader :thumb:

PS : waise abhi job lagi nahi hai :confused:

very inspiring post !!! :clapping:
One day I will also quit job and trade the NF as Full Time Trader :thumb:

PS : waise abhi job lagi nahi hai :confused:
Mere lag gayi or biwi baag gayi :lol:

I am software guy, 28 yrs, Single. Wanted to do fulltime trading but in a dilemma whether trading can be considered as a profession. Now I am in a clear mind when to quit my day job and enter fulltime trading. First I need to get married and after that I need to close all my pending loans. Already have made some investments but need to same some amount. Even if you don't like your job just stay in your job as long it goes well. Currently I am trading with small amount. I am confident that I can trade well but still don't want to quit my job for next few years. May be by next 5 to 6 years down the line my growth in IT may become stagnant or goto high salary then my job will be at risk and find my exist automatically. Then I will consider trading as my profession. By that time I need to have a good backup through the investments made before. As of now I consider trading as a weapon when I am jobless.

Last edited: