Trading and job

• I quit my job for trading and that has been a good decision

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • I regret quitting my job

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I balance trading with job perfectly

Votes: 31 33.3%

• Total voters
Considering that I have started in the past few months, I definitely found this thread useful.
Ok, I am not quitting my day job yet but yes, as said over here, I will try this for a year and see if it's sustainable or not.

Trading for living needs decent capital upwards of 50L. Good traders generate upwards of 20%+ profit per annum. Again there are some exceptional traders who can double their capital in 2 to 3 months but very few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anildnr

If you want to live with trading..as friend mentioned we should have good capital.
Make sure that you should earn 2 times money when compared with ur expenses.(on an avg)
The above income should be consistent with your trading plan for atleast 1 year.not with random locks.

You made a very bold step. I would suggest other traders to think carefully before quiting their day job just to enter the world of trading. You need to understand that there are a lot of losses and risks involved in trading. You need to be ready for them and have the mind-set for them. Not everyone has what it takes.

Tejas Khoday

Co-Founder & CEO, FYERS
It makes sense to quit your day job and pursue trading full time in the following circumstances IMO:
  1. When your lifestyle and basic livelihood will not be affected if you quit your job.

2. You have enough savings to last you 6 months even if you fail at trading and can't find another job immediately.

3. You have a spouse who can compensate for your lack of earnings while you use some savings to trade (You must be in good terms, as the divorce rates are increasing and it's not pretty :) ).

4. You a regular income from a reliable source with which you can pay for all your expenses so that you don't have to pay monthly bills by booking your positions. The minute you go that route, you're in for some trouble. Pressure builds when there is a lack of optimism. In the beginning, it feels like you can book profits and come out positive every single month but trading never gives linear results in my experience so far!

5. You have a rich dad who can provide you capital and who can bankroll your account if you go broke a few times without it making much of a difference. People with such a background are by far the most suited for full-time trading IMO. But I have observed that they often lack the motivation to put in the hard work. I don't want to stereotype this kind but I've seen this in many instances over the years. Some really good traders who started with their dad's money just give up too soon. If you won't give up, then perhaps your chances of doing it full-time over a long period of time increases because you don't have to put food on the table every month and can single-mindedly focus on growing your capital.

6. You have entered into a partnership with someone who is providing you the capital to trade with and who is open to the idea of you taking a monthly/annual fee regardless of the performance. For this to happen, the fee amount must be less than 2% of the total Assets Under Management (AUM). If the fee is higher, it will eventually eat into the capital and in the months that the account is down, the partner who provided the capital will feel the pinch and things can get awry. Hence, ensure that the amount is good enough to compensate for your full-time efforts.

7. You are a SEBI registered Investment Advisor alongside trading your portfolio. That way you can build a fee-based income from your new clients which can pay for your monthly expenses and you could also focus on your own trades since the nature of both activities are similar and in the same direction.
If I have missed out on something, let me know. I personally feel that one should be in a position to take the risk if he quits his job. If you don't have resources to provide for basic livelihood, then it will definitely affect your ability to trade to the best of your potential. Do consider what I have said in the above points if you think it makes sense.

My $0.02!

Last edited:
I see this as a very good beginning in reaching your goals. I would not recommend you to quit your job in this moment. First spend time in testing your strategy and see what is your earning potential. If you can earn more than you are earning on your current job, then you can think of switching your job to trading

It makes sense to quit your day job and pursue trading full time in the following circumstances IMO:
  1. When your lifestyle and basic livelihood will not be affected if you quit your job.

2. You have enough savings to last you 6 months even if you fail at trading and can't find another job immediately.

3. You have a spouse who can compensate for your lack of earnings while you use some savings to trade (You must be in good terms, as the divorce rates are increasing and it's not pretty :) ).

4. You a regular income from a reliable source with which you can pay for all your expenses so that you don't have to pay monthly bills by booking your positions. The minute you go that route, you're in for some trouble. Pressure builds when there is a lack of optimism. In the beginning, it feels like you can book profits and come out positive every single month but trading never gives linear results in my experience so far!

5. You have a rich dad who can provide you capital and who can bankroll your account if you go broke a few times without it making much of a difference. People with such a background are by far the most suited for full-time trading IMO. But I have observed that they often lack the motivation to put in the hard work. I don't want to stereotype this kind but I've seen this in many instances over the years. Some really good traders who started with their dad's money just give up too soon. If you won't give up, then perhaps your chances of doing it full-time over a long period of time increases because you don't have to put food on the table every month and can single-mindedly focus on growing your capital.

6. You have entered into a partnership with someone who is providing you the capital to trade with and who is open to the idea of you taking a monthly/annual fee regardless of the performance. For this to happen, the fee amount must be less than 2% of the total Assets Under Management (AUM). If the fee is higher, it will eventually eat into the capital and in the months that the account is down, the partner who provided the capital will feel the pinch and things can get awry. Hence, ensure that the amount is good enough to compensate for your full-time efforts.

7. You are a SEBI registered Investment Advisor alongside trading your portfolio. That way you can build a fee-based income from your new clients which can pay for your monthly expenses and you could also focus on your own trades since the nature of both activities are similar and in the same direction.
If I have missed out on something, let me know. I personally feel that one should be in a position to take the risk if he quits his job. If you don't have resources to provide for basic livelihood, then it will definitely affect your ability to trade to the best of your potential. Do consider what I have said in the above points if you think it makes sense.

My $0.02!
Covered all corners including possible outcomes.

Tejas Khoday

Co-Founder & CEO, FYERS
Covered all corners including possible outcomes.

Just being realistic :)

It's very easy to encourage by saying, "Yeah man just quit and chase your DREAMS!"

But I like to say it like it is. Trading full-time can be a great thing only if you are great at trading! If you're still getting there, it's more sensible to do it part-time as an enthusiast.

Last edited: