Quick Question: Axis Demat or Sharekhan account? [Newbie]

Hey guys,

I will keep this short and to the point. Any help is highly appreciated:

- Never ventured into share/stock market.
- I am 20, a student.
- I have 20k to invest.

Now I don't have a demat account, but I do have an axis bank account and after some research I figured out axis bank offers Demat Account as well.

I did sign-up hastily at Sharekhan (just filled the form now; they will contact me within 5 days period). Now I don't know anything about shares, but I won't be stupid to spend all the money just like that. I will make sure I think before investing.

However, the first priority, from the information I have gathered, is to open an Demat account for electronic share keeping. How will I get the money into my sharekhan account? Can I transfer from Axis bank to Sharekhan?

More importantly:

Which is the best place to open an Demat Account?

Also from where do I buy the shares? Can you name the alternatives?

PS: I am reading the "Beginners guide" thread, and I think I am getting a grip over this share market subject.

Vector

Being a noob , and having 20k to invest, you'd be better off with a mutual fund IMO. In the mean while learn the ropes.:)

@Vector -- I have Mutual Funds made on my name by an accountant, thanks to my mom.

This is my money, and I can invest up to 50k. I want to give this a try. I want to see how my luck fairs in this game of gamble. I see there is no risk involved in MF and the gain is minimal, as far as I know.

We all start as a noob, right? I don't want to change the path that leads to the destination of success. ;)

@Vector -- I have Mutual Funds made on my name by an accountant, thanks to my mom.

This is my money, and I can invest up to 50k. I want to give this a try. I want to see how my luck fairs in this game of gamble. I see there is no risk involved in MF and the gain is minimal, as far as I know.

Hi sid,
YOU WANT TO SEE HOW YOUR LUCK FAIRS IN THIS GAME OF GAMBLE???? friend, its not gamble. A lot of technical, fundamental and economic structure of our country is involved and evolved around Bse and Nse. Most of the persons who are trading here are not gamblers trying their luck here but are pure professionals, many of whom may be better than Pros of IIms, iits and iiscs. I do understand your enthu to try an unknown arena but remember one thing only right attitude and approach towards the market can take you a long way in the journey of success, else forget about reaching the destination you can hardly start the bike.
so in a lighter note can I say WAKE UP SID... before you start the journey.:)

Vector

We all start as a noob, right? I don't want to change the path that leads to the destination of success. ;)
I did say learn the ropes, U don't dive into shark infested waters without knowing how to swim , let alone shark repellant...:lol:

Not meant as discouragement in any way,

Taurus1

I want to see how my luck fairs in this game of gamble. I see there is no risk involved in MF and the gain is minimal, as far as I know.
It is a gamble for people who don't know what they are doing. Mfs are putting money in the market and take more or less the same risk that investors do.
Do not get fooled by MFs promising big returns with a long lock in.

yoor 20k will come down to 5k within 3 months otherwise u have to learn
sip method

if u plan to buy a share .. by 10 stocks instead go for a 100
and again buy 10 when it come down more
dont think your share go up only..
every time share's show downside more and upside rare

regards
gg

Thanks guys! I was trying to bring out the "emotion" from you and hence the line "Game of Gamble" worked pretty well. It's true that this isn't easy, and I have to admit there is a long learning curve ahead.

However, with the kind of knowledge I have -- which is very less -- this share market is for me a game, for now. I have the alacrity in me to work my way up in this market, I believe.

For now, I am waiting for the call from ShareKhan, and once my Demat Account is up and running, I will lurk around this forum to find out the best share and invest carefully. Once the money multiplies, hopefully, I will then reinvest again keeping the profit aside. So, I have a general blueprint of what I will do if I succeed.

All I need is your love, a bit of luck and the right direction which I hope to find them through your insightful post. :)

4xpipcounter

All of a sudden, I'm running into you all over the place.

Take this like your friend next door. Don't gamble with 50K. In this arena, it is a sure way to lose it. I talk to too many people through my blog that got regrets from gambling instead of taking the time to learn to trade.

Learn to trade on a demo, establish a winning reputation, and then you can build a fortune from 50K.

Hi sid,
YOU WANT TO SEE HOW YOUR LUCK FAIRS IN THIS GAME OF GAMBLE???? friend, its not gamble. A lot of technical, fundamental and economic structure of our country is involved and evolved around Bse and Nse. Most of the persons who are trading here are not gamblers trying their luck here but are pure professionals, many of whom may be better than Pros of IIms, iits and iiscs. I do understand your enthu to try an unknown arena but remember one thing only right attitude and approach towards the market can take you a long way in the journey of success, else forget about reaching the destination you can hardly start the bike.
so in a lighter note can I say WAKE UP SID... before you start the journey.:)

Wiz

All of a sudden, I'm running into you all over the place.

Take this like your friend next door. Don't gamble with 50K. In this arena, it is a sure way to lose it. I talk to too many people through my blog that got regrets from gambling instead of taking the time to learn to trade.

Learn to trade on a demo, establish a winning reputation, and then you can build a fortune from 50K.
sir he means 50k rupees i think not 50k dollars