Python installation for trading

MSN1979

:)
Its tricky. (Just bear with me; this is the toughest part)
Try this.

Go to this link
You could see a lot of whl files
Download the one specific to your computer.
I think you are running Python 3.6 on a 64-bit computer (check python version by typing python in cmd)
Then, you must download TA_Lib‑0.4.17‑cp36‑cp36m‑win_amd64.whl
(36 is the python version and amd64 is for 64-bit computer)
Then pip install <filename>
Replace <filename> with the downloaded filename
Installed...

travi

:)
Its tricky. (Just bear with me; this is the toughest part)
Try this.

Go to this link
You could see a lot of whl files
Download the one specific to your computer.
I think you are running Python 3.6 on a 64-bit computer (check python version by typing python in cmd)
Then, you must download TA_Lib‑0.4.17‑cp36‑cp36m‑win_amd64.whl
(36 is the python version and amd64 is for 64-bit computer)
Then pip install <filename>
Replace <filename> with the downloaded filename
Check the python version rather, it generally defaults to x86 so use the win32 version.

They're having most if not all of the popular libs.
https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

MSN1979

TA LIB Installed and I can run the commands you gave me. Waiting for further Instructions :)

VJAY

Untitled.png
Yes install Python 3.6 (it works and update happen with a single command)
Anaconda and ta-lib are different. TA-LIB is required only when we are using technical indicators.
If not, then no need to install it.

Restart the system, run command prompt and type conda list. This displays the list of all libraries installed and its OK
Hope I installed anaconda corectly...showing this list...

I am starting this thread for installing Python on Windows/Linux since most traders find it difficult to get running.

To begin with, I am just posting the necessary steps to get started. In case of any errors, post it along with your operating system and a screenshot of the error message so that it would be helpful in diagnosing the error.

Windows
  1. Download Anaconda. Download the correct version for your system. Download Python 3.6 version
  2. After download, right click and Run as Administrator
  3. Click Yes and proceed. Change directory to D:\anaconda3 or any other drive other than C:\
  4. Install for all users and ADD TO PATH
  5. After completing installation. Open command prompt and type conda list. This must show a list of libraries installed
  6. If this shows error, run command prompt as administrator
This is good to get going

Linux
  1. Download Anaconda. Download the correct version for your system. Download Python 3.6 version
  2. After downloading chmod +x {{download_file}} (Replace download_file with the file name)
  3. Open command prompt and ./{{download_file}}
  4. Install anywhere. /home/{{user}}/anaconda3 is preferable
  5. After completing installation. Open command prompt and type conda list. This must show a list of libraries installed
This is good to get started

Post any errors as already told.
Once installed, you can type jupyter notebook in your terminal or use anaconda navigator to open jupyter notebook
Just started with this thread, a dummies question :

1534180381677.png

I click on "Download" for 3.6 version, ok. What is that 64-bit graphical installer or 32-bit graphical installer ?? Looks like it is downloading the 64-bit installer by default (file size 631MB).

MSN1979

View attachment 27451

I click on "Download" for 3.6 version, ok. What is that 64-bit graphical installer or 32-bit graphical installer ?? Looks like it is downloading the 64-bit installer by default (file size 631MB).
i also downloaded 64 bit on win 10

UberMachine

View attachment 27451

Its your OS architecture (x86 or amd64).
Simply put it, I believe you run a Windows 7 system with a dual/quad core processor. It must be 64-bit.

A 32-bit processor can only process only 32 bits of information at a time, 64 bits can do 64 bits. Its hardware and your OS must support it. In early days, 32 bit Windows OS are installed on 64 bit machines but no problem nowadays. If it throws an error, you can dig deeper.

If you are interested, you can see this post

MSN1979

Installed Python. Installed TA Lib as described above.

Can run Jupyter notebook, even before TA lib installed. But the Jupyter notebook simply looks like the File Manager screen. Is it right ?

View attachment 27455
good going sir yes this is the first screen that we should get , now on top right click on new and then python and you are ready to code.