Programmer here. Need help.

I have been a part-time (that too very occasional) trader. I am into software development. I am looking for pointers to make an automated trading system. It will be for personal use only. Currently I don't have any strategy in mind, because before indulging into that, I would like to make sure if it is really possible or not, specially legally.

I shall be much thankful to you if you could give me starting points.

1)What are legal guidelines for doing automated trading ? I am very much sure that I am not going to sell/share it as I am already into some other business that hardly allows me time. Is SEBI/MCX/NSE/BSE have any restriction for it ?

2) How to make such a system ? I don't have huge budget and I shall be doing all coding. I know it is possible to export data from Odin Diet to excel, from where I can read the data. But how do I place orders ? Is there any broker that provides any such software which can be hooked pro grammatically ? Sharekhan ? TTTerminal ? any other ? This is a huge challenge currently to start development. How to hook into software provided by brokers. They don't provide any API. What method should be used ? simulating mouse clicks on desktop ?

Thanks. About point 1 above, is there any official SEBI contact where I can query , if needed.

Last edited:

bunti_k23

If ur not going to share that system why will any1 share his idea with u......u are at wrong place , delete ur id and try elsewhere....:thumb:

Thanks for your reply. As asked about my idea : As mentioned above, I have nothing concrete in hand as of now. I have an stock trading account with IIFL and commodity one with Angel. I mentioned I am not going to share/sell system is because afaik there are certain restrictions from SEBI for such systems. I recently read about SEBI imposing penalties on a broker because its automatic trading system caused some problem. I am not that big. My specific query is, is there any restriction from SEBI (or other authorities) on home-developed systems. As mentioned selling/sharing would cause problems for me as I am already in some other business. Plus, I don't even know how is it going to perform on large scale/individual scale. My query has more "LEGAL" aspect in saying "I won't be selling/sharing it".

bunti_k23

Hmm got ur point , sorry but no idea abt sebi:D

raynor

chat with zerodha, rksv in their accounts. may be they have answers

Raghuveer

If you already know how to trade profitably, go ahead with your automated trading system plan cautiously.

If you already do not know how to trade profitably (using login or call 'n' trade, charts, have a strategy FA/TA etc) then this question itself is in wrong direction. Will result in massive losses/wipe out of account. If selling options with this automated program, can result in losses of more than what's in your account.

Of course it is entirely possible that you could be an exception and become profitable with automated trading system in your first attempt at trading. Share more about your trading experience so far, others can then comment on it.

I have been a part-time (that too very occasional) trader. I am into software development. I am looking for pointers to make an automated trading system. It will be for personal use only. Currently I don't have any strategy in mind, because before indulging into that, I would like to make sure if it is really possible or not, specially legally.

I shall be much thankful to you if you could give me starting points.

1)What are legal guidelines for doing automated trading ? I am very much sure that I am not going to sell/share it as I am already into some other business that hardly allows me time. Is SEBI/MCX/NSE/BSE have any restriction for it ?

2) How to make such a system ? I don't have huge budget and I shall be doing all coding. I know it is possible to export data from Odin Diet to excel, from where I can read the data. But how do I place orders ? Is there any broker that provides any such software which can be hooked pro grammatically ? Sharekhan ? TTTerminal ? any other ? This is a huge challenge currently to start development. How to hook into software provided by brokers. They don't provide any API. What method should be used ? simulating mouse clicks on desktop ?

Thanks. About point 1 above, is there any official SEBI contact where I can query , if needed.

Giraffe

Code:
http://zerodha.com/z-connect/charting-coding-and-backtesting/automation/automating-trades-getting-started
Read above first.

Two main providers of algo trading:
1. Omneysys (with zerodha)
2. Symphony (with many,cheapest composite edge)
(google symphony fintech)

BTW, please read the forum carefully. Algo trading segment is good point to start. All information that you need is already provided.

Giraffe

Legal Status: Allowed
Semiautomated trading: anyone can do it, subscribe to NEST Plus API.
All you need to do is click confirm in the terminal when trade is generated by algo. Can use Amibroker / API(not the NEST Plus API) whatever you want.
Also you can figure out a way to automate " clicking " by scripting/sending keystrokes to terminal.
If you have a reliable method of sending keystrokes to running terminal, you don't even need NEST Plus API.
(You might know better about these things)

API provided by : Cogencis (indian)
Factset, Fidessa etc (foreign, expensive)

Symphony Fintech/Omneysys also provide API, but then you will be running the code on there colocated servers and you cannot pull out market data (can use it there only)

NEST plus API not a "true fully functional" API. Read yusi's "Dissecting the NEST Plus API", it has all details.

Thanks. About point 1 above, is there any official SEBI contact where I can query , if needed.[/QUOTE]

I don't think SEBI got to do anything with this. Exchange handles approval. That too is mediated by you broker/algo service provider. You only need to deal with them.

Contacting symphony / omneysys is a good point to start.
Symphony now costs around 40-50K annually + onetime registration 15K
(there top product offering will full fledged API, cheaper options also available)

Omneysys was bit more expensive (don't know if they have revised there rates). Symphony was also more expensive, they have brought down prices now.

looser89

there is fully automatic trading software I.e RCRT
but it is paid, can you make its replica and make it free