Power Back-up for Traders

Hello

I am also looking for a good back up setup during full trading time. My backup requirement is for one tube light+ one fan + one desktop computer with 20" inch LCD monitor. There is no printer. The desktop unit is a low power processor intel chip-E 5200 with no graphics card.The UPS is APC 500 Watts

A few days before i had taken a quotation from a local dealer for Microtek (www.microtekdirect.com) pure sine wave inverter of 850 VA(The brochure of company claims it will run 3 Fans, 4 tube lights and 1 computer or 3 Fans, 7 tube lights and 1 TV for a backup of 3.5 hrs with 135 AH battery) .

The battery is of SF (standard Furkawa) Sonic tubular type for inverters(http://www.sfsonicpower.com/inverter01.html).

The cost of inverter is Rs 5700/-
Trolley Rs 850/-
135 AHbattery Rs 6750/-
150 AH battery Rs 7500/-

My question is will this setup give me sufficent back up and most importantly if power goes of will computer restart even when inverter is connected.

I have read in other forums of computer rebooting even with the use of inverters. Does this rebooting problem arise with pure sine wave inverters also ?. In my area we face lot of powercuts and worse drastic power fluctuations.

Any suggestions or guidance will be highly appreciated

Regards

Saji

Go for a higher A/H rating battery say 180/200 A/H. Performance and life is better. Since you have frequent power cuts the more often the battery gets deeply discharged the shorter its life.

TFL

Hello

I am also looking for a good back up setup during full trading time. My backup requirement is for one tube light+ one fan + one desktop computer with 20" inch LCD monitor. There is no printer. The desktop unit is a low power processor intel chip-E 5200 with no graphics card.The UPS is APC 500 Watts

A few days before i had taken a quotation from a local dealer for Microtek (www.microtekdirect.com) pure sine wave inverter of 850 VA(The brochure of company claims it will run 3 Fans, 4 tube lights and 1 computer or 3 Fans, 7 tube lights and 1 TV for a backup of 3.5 hrs with 135 AH battery) .

The battery is of SF (standard Furkawa) Sonic tubular type for inverters(http://www.sfsonicpower.com/inverter01.html).

Trolley Rs 850/-
135 AHbattery Rs 6750/-
150 AH battery Rs 7500/-

My question is will this setup give me sufficent back up and most importantly if power goes of will computer restart even when inverter is connected.

I have read in other forums of computer rebooting even with the use of inverters. Does this rebooting problem arise with pure sine wave inverters also ?. In my area we face lot of powercuts and worse drastic power fluctuations.

Regards

Saji
saji oommen,

Assuming the power rating of the said equipments are as below. Correct the values from the label in your equipment and calculate accordingly. See here to know how to calculate it http://www.traderji.com/hardware-issues/26756-power-back-up-traders.html.

Tube light 45W
One fan 75W
Desktop PC 145W
It will be good not to connect the printer to an Inverter.

So, total Power required = 265W adding a little more to it, then it will be 300W.
So, Total VA required is 375 (Assuming power factor as 0.8).

With a 135AH/12V Battery you will get a power backup for 4:15 Hours (Approx.) and 4:45 Hours (Approx.) for the 150AH/12V battery in idea conditions (Assuming the battery is C/10).

My advice is to go for the 150AH as these are theoretical values and the actual performance will be lower than this due to many factors like temp., battery quality, etc. Tubular batteries are good to use for prolonged backup time.

In normal conditions it should not restart the pc but in areas where sudden and frequent voltage variations it will restart. Also ensure the inverter have a UPS mode function or it will restart or if the UPS mode is abscent then you need to connect a UPS after the inverter otherwise, you can add a Vol. Stabilizer(1KVA) before the inverter to prevent restarts if it occurs in your area. Also remember, sometimes the stabilizer act as a trigger for your pc restarts.

TFL.

Last edited:
D

darkstar

Hello

Trolley Rs 850/-
135 AHbattery Rs 6750/-
150 AH battery Rs 7500/-

Regards

Saji
inverter,battery is ok but you need ups also so no restart flucutation problem. earlier this week i bought new INTEX upa 600 va approx 480 watt at the rate of 1800 rs. last 1 week 4 hour power cut its officialy un officialy god knows

Thanks Rajsingh, TFL and Dark star for your excellent suggestions.

TFL, i am not sure if the inverter has a UPS mode switch. Will it be OK if i use my existing APC UPS so that Desktop is powered from it and UPS is connected to the inverter so that rebooting is avoided.

Assuming the inverter has UPS mode switch should that switch be kept on always or only when computer is in use.

As suggested by you i will go for 150 AH battery that should suffice my backup requirements.

Regards

Saji

TFL

TFL, i am not sure if the inverter has a UPS mode switch. Will it be OK if i use my existing APC UPS so that Desktop is powered from it and UPS is connected to the inverter so that rebooting is avoided.

Assuming the inverter has UPS mode switch should that switch be kept on always or only when computer is in use.

As suggested by you i will go for 150 AH battery that should suffice my backup requirements.

Regards

Saji
That APC UPS is enough to keep you from restart in case of voltage fluctuation.

Normally most inverters will have the said mode, if you have switched the computer ON then only the need for UPS mode, you may turn it off when not using the computer.

Capricorn

Regards

Saji
Use a sine wave inverter, you will not need a separate UPS. I am using one for the past 4 years. No problems.

TFL

Use a sine wave inverter, you will not need a separate UPS. I am using one for the past 4 years. No problems.
Even with pure sine wave inverters pc restarts in areas where frequent power fluctuations (Vol. variations, not power cuts) but for another no need for a UPS or Stabilizer.

i am using only one computer with 22" tft monitor. right now i am only using one intex ups which gives me only 20 min power backup. what should i do if i want to extend the power back up duration up to 4 hours? i dont want to connect anything else with back up system but only one computer system. i am looking for cheaper back up system.

SO

TFL

i am using only one computer with 22" tft monitor. right now i am only using one intex ups which gives me only 20 min power backup. what should i do if i want to extend the power back up duration up to 4 hours? i dont want to connect anything else with back up system but only one computer system. i am looking for cheaper back up system.

SO
Sacred.Ocean,

I have already provided details instruction about how you can find out a suitable backup system in the first post of this thread, kindly refer it.

I think an inverter of 800VA with a battery of 100AH/12Volt will be suitable for you to get that 4 to 5 hours backup time.

TFL