Power Back-up for Traders

TFL

We a good no. of traders are prone to frequent power failures during the market hours while in position. I have seen(missed?) a very less discussions done regardign this topic here in traderji. So I decided started this thread.

Requesting my good friends to disclose your power backup systems based on the below.

Company Name & Model:
Back Up Time:
No. Of PCs/Laptops connected:
Avg. Price of the back-up system:
Battery AH & V:
No. of batteries:

I myself was so far using only laptops(2) for trading and got no big problems due to power failure. I relocated to another place and here the power supply is not do reliable and planning to buy a power back-up system for a backup of atleast 6 hours. I heard 2 battery system will be better inorder to get the battery (under practical conditions) to get fully charged.

Hope you people will reveal the power back-ups you are using.

Thanks!
Haribird.

Update: 10-07-2009

UPS/INVERTER/BATTERY BUYING GUIDE

How to select the Inverter?
Step 1: Calculate the total power you are connecting, W.
Step 2: Find the Power Factor of Inverter, pf. Check with the inverter for pf or use 0.8 .
Step 3: Calculate the VA connecting by the equation, VA = W/pf.
Step 4: Buy a UPS which has a rating of above the VA.

How to select a battery?
Step 1: Decide how many hours backup time needed (All devices connected at a time), BH.
Step 2: Decide which battery you are going to buy, 12V or 24V. For this you need to check which(12V or 24V) battery the above selected Inverter supports.
Step 3: Calculate AH by the equation, AH = W*BH/V .
Step 4: Buy a battery having the above AH and V ratings. It will be a good idea to have a bit higher AH battery than the calculated one.

Provided the battery C-rating is C/10 (or .1C), normally we are getting C/10 batteries for inverters. Will add more about it later. The above is a theoretical calculation and the actual backup time may be little lesser so try to buy a battery having a bit more AH rating.​

Thank you,
TFL.

Last edited:

TFL

2 pcs with 3 monitors (one dual head with nvidiaG4) , 1 lappy
for pc s one heavy duty sukam
cost-27000/- ( the best deal i got till)
from 9.55 to 3.45 = yes without TV
(go to their site)
1 lappy (hcl) = no to lesser backup
enough to carry
cold start is a must which they provide
:cool:
Which model Su-Kam UPS you are using?

Haribird.

TFL

Bought the following system 2 days back.

Inverter Company Name & Model: Su-Kam Falcon-i 800VA, 12Volt.
Avg. Price of the Inverter: 8000
Battery AH & V: EXIDE INVA TUBULAR (IT500), 150 Ah, C20.
No. of batteries: 1
Avg. Price of the Battery: 12000.

Haribird.

TFL

Do you keep the inverter ON even if it shows battery charge full + No load is connected?

Think I am taking a little bit more care to the topics...the reason is...so far(many years) no back-ups/battery systems worked for me in terms of its battery life. Need to check whether its my mistake of bad maintenance or otherwise

Hope some one experienced can answer.

Haribird.

myvineet

Do you keep the inverter ON even if it shows battery charge full + No load is connected?

Think I am taking a little bit more care to the topics...the reason is...so far(many years) no back-ups/battery systems worked for me in terms of its battery life. Need to check whether its my mistake of bad maintenance or otherwise

Haribird.
Hari ,you choose a good set .i try to answer acc to best of my knowledge..

1) yes ..we will always keep invertor on even if it is fully charge..

2) there is small button behind invertor about invertor OR ups ..set it towards ups..with it your com will not switch off ...if it is set at invertor ,com will restarts at power failure ...

3) just take care of water level in battery after a month & fill it with distilled water max upto 90% of max battery level ..plz never fill it full...

4)wash the terminal of battery with boiling water after 3-4 month & put some grease or vaseline on it ...this will help in removing the deposits on terminals & help in proper current flow..

hope this will help you

all the best with your new back up system..

vineet

TFL

Hari ,you choose a good set .i try to answer acc to best of my knowledge..

1) yes ..we will always keep invertor on even if it is fully charge..

2) there is small button behind invertor about invertor OR ups ..set it towards ups..with it your com will not switch off ...if it is set at invertor ,com will restarts at power failure ...

3) just take care of water level in battery after a month & fill it with distilled water max upto 90% of max battery level ..plz never fill it full...

4)wash the terminal of battery with boiling water after 3-4 month & put some grease or vaseline on it ...this will help in removing the deposits on terminals & help in proper current flow..

hope this will help you

all the best with your new back up system..

vineet
Thank you vineet for sharing your experience.

Haribird.

Capricorn

Haribird.
Invertor should always be on . It cuts on and off as required.

You've got lead acid batteries you get a better performance with gel filled sealed MF batteries.

Cheers.