I hold below funds in portfolio. I want to reduce the portfolio size by removing few of them so that portfolio managing will be easy and eliminates repetition, Please suggest me. Thanks in advance

Large Caps
--------------
1. HDFC Top 200
2. DSP Top 100
3. Birla Frontline Equity Plan A
4. SBI Magnum Contra
5. HDFC Equity

Mid/Small Caps
---------------
1. Reliance Regular Saving Equity
2. Reliance Growth
3. Sundaram Select Midcap
4. ICICI Discovery
5. IDFC Premier Equity Plan A
6. DSP Equity
7. Sundaram SMILE
8. Birla Midcap Plan A

Balance Funds
--------------
1. HDFC Prudence

Sector Funds
-------------
1. Reliance Div Power Sector Fund
2. Reliance Infra Structure Retail

milind

16 of them! Since all the names here are well performing respectable funds, i think it would be mostly your choice. Say to - 2 large, 2 mid, and one to take care of debt component (prudence is alright). AMCs should be diversified too. I would remove thematic funds, magnum contra, possibly reliance growth, one of Sundaram midcap or smile

I think category of HDFC equity is midcap, and RSF Equity is largecap.

-- Milind

I hold below funds in portfolio. I want to reduce the portfolio size by removing few of them so that portfolio managing will be easy and eliminates repetition, Please suggest me. Thanks in advance

Large Caps
--------------
1. HDFC Top 200
2. DSP Top 100
4. SBI Magnum Contra
5. HDFC Equity

Mid/Small Caps
---------------
1. Reliance Regular Saving Equity
2. Reliance Growth
3. Sundaram Select Midcap
4. ICICI Discovery
6. DSP Equity
7. Sundaram SMILE
8. Birla Midcap Plan A

Balance Funds
--------------
1. HDFC Prudence

Sector Funds
-------------
1. Reliance Div Power Sector Fund
2. Reliance Infra Structure Retail

Hi Milind,

Thanks for your suggestion. I modified and trimmed my portfolio size as per your suggestion.

1. HDFC Top 200
2. DSP Top 100

4. Sundaram Select Midcap
6. Birla Midcap Plan A
7. Reliance Regular Saving Equity
8. ICICI Discovery

9. HDFC Prudence

I was surprised when you asked to remove Reliance Growth which as 10 years consistent performance and also Magnum Contra. Can you please share your views on the reason to eliminate.

Also Can I exclude any one of ICICI Discovery or Reliance Regular Savings Equity? Whether should I include both of them?

Please let me know can I include or exclude Birla Midcap Plan A which is also a consistent performer.

Is is OK to have 9 funds or Should I further reduce my porfolio size. Thanks a lot for your wonderful suggestions. Thanks again.

-Raj

nikrod

You can remove any two funds from below list.

6. Birla Midcap Plan A
8. ICICI Discovery

4 mid cap funds are too many.

Reliance regular savings is combo of Large & Mid cap. It's an excellent aggressive fund so would recommend you to hold it.

I don't see any other problems with the fund selections. The more important factor here is the asset allocation. You can add some debt funds if required depending on your asset allocation & risk averseness.

milind

- Agreed that Reliance Growth has been a great fund. And its been managed by the same manager for long time. That's another plus. The only reason to consider it for removal, if at all, would be its performance in recent past - some of its peers (e.g. HDFC equity) have done better in last year or two. Debatable.
- Magnum contra got its fame under previous manager (master stock picker sandip sabarwal, who later moved to JM). I don't think its the same fund anymore.
- I would go with RSF Equity. May consider dropping DSP 100
- Agree with nikrod about reducing midcaps

Hi Milind,

Thanks for your suggestion. I modified and trimmed my portfolio size as per your suggestion.

1. HDFC Top 200
2. DSP Top 100

6. Birla Midcap Plan A
7. Reliance Regular Saving Equity
8. ICICI Discovery

9. HDFC Prudence

I was surprised when you asked to remove Reliance Growth which as 10 years consistent performance and also Magnum Contra. Can you please share your views on the reason to eliminate.

Also Can I exclude any one of ICICI Discovery or Reliance Regular Savings Equity? Whether should I include both of them?

Please let me know can I include or exclude Birla Midcap Plan A which is also a consistent performer.

Is is OK to have 9 funds or Should I further reduce my porfolio size. Thanks a lot for your wonderful suggestions. Thanks again.

-Raj

Wow, Excellent analysis, Thanks nikrod and milind for your suggestions.

As suggested, I have chosen HDFC Top 200, Birla Frontline Equity Plan A, Reliance Regular Saving Equity and HDFC Prudence.

But still I am not able decide which two of midcap funds to choose, as each one seem to be good only. It would be great, if you can help me choosing two of them. (May be your choice of two midcap funds among four above)
Thanks a lot.

--Raj

nikrod

As for the mid cap funds my first choice would be given to IDFC Premier equity. Fund manager Keneth Andrade has been doing a fabulous job of managing the tight portfolio of this fund. as per the other funds I personally would not prefer ICICI Discovery though it has been performing well recently.

Now my portfolio has

1. HDFC Top 200
2. DSP Top 100
4. Reliance Regular Saving Equity
6. HDFC Prudence

Bit confused to chose between DSP Top 100 and Birla Front line equity. Can I keep both of them?

Any other suggestions from experts please to select only one out of below three mid cap funds.

Mid caps
---------
1. Sundaram Select Midcap
2. Birla Midcap Plan A
3. ICICI Discovery

Thanks everyone.

--Raj