Port 22 (ssh / sftp) working using BSNL?

yusi

Can any confirm if using SSH or SFTP (that uses port 22) is working for them when using BSNL. Specially in Kolkata.

Have eliminated all other likely issues -- at my end or servers. Changing the ISP from BSNL to Vodafone results in normal operations; so the likely suspect is BSNL router configuration.

It is proving nigh impossible to reach the right technical support person in BSNL.

yusi

Update...

Managed to reach the right person at Telephone Bhavan, and yesterday he confirmed that BSNL was blocking port 22. The stated reason was that there was a "malware attack" using that port in the recent past; the adopted solution being to block that port for all users. A suggested work-around was that I apply for a static IP, and they would accommodate opening that port to a specific IP as that can be tracked.

There is a saying about the cure being worse than the disease; but that cannot be said since the details of the "malware attack" are not known. Also, the work-around pushes a cost to the user; plus it is not portable. Not the least, the idea behind SFTP/SSH is to secure traffic from being sniffed between end-points. I cannot see how port usage cannot be tracked whether the IP is static or dynamic.

Try Port 2222.