Point and Figure Chart Excel Sheet

I am not really getting time out of life to update it. Will see if I can get it fixed..

In the meantime.. you may want to use Stockcharts.com for PnF charts of global equities.
Vikas in your Code for "Draw Charts" macro the 'Symbol Decider' is coded as

If CurrentSymbol = "O" Then
If CurrentLow - BoxSize <= LastLow Then
'Do Nothing append another 'O' to same line
End If

Isn't it that CurrentLow <= LastLow - BoxSize.. for appending another 'O', i.e.

CurrentLow + BoxSize <= LastLow

Similarly for "X" the code is

ElseIf CurrentSymbol = "X" Then
If CurrentHigh + BoxSize >= LastHigh Then
'Do Nothing append another 'X' to same line

Here again CurrentHigh should be >= 'LastHigh + BoxSize' for appending another 'X'

or CurrentHigh - BoxSize >= LastHigh

This is ofcourse my understanding of adding an 'O' or 'X' in PnF Charts.. maybe wrong..

Slah

Let me learn little more about it and run backtests to see if I can let excel sheet generate auto buy/sell signals
Hello, findvikas!

I've downloaded your spreadsheet and tried it.
It works and in general looks like a solid attempt to realize the PnF logic.
I noticed however a slight deviation from the classics - when trend change occurs and when new column is started, the difference should always be a one standard box size. In other words, when X changes to O, the first O should be one box lower than the last X. And vice versa - the first X should always be one box higher than the last O. It is the calssical method.
I am sure that you can easily correct your code.
I have a few questions on the algo of the chart.
For example, do you round prices up and down depending on where the price goes?
Cheers,
vashin

Vashin

This is rather late (few weeks short of a year), but you are right. The Xs should start from one box above the bottom of the Os column, and the Os should start from from one box below the top of the X column.

Besides, the prices are not rounded up or down. They remain as they are. In case the price crosses the value of a box, then that box is filled.

Eg. Assume two bricks, one called A extending from 10 to 19.95, and B from 20 to 29.95. Let the price be above B.

Assume that the price falls, and enters B (ie price is between 20 and 29.95). B is empty ie O is not marked.

When the price moves further downward from B and enters A ,then B is marked with an O.

When the price moves further downward, leaves A (ie falls below 10) and enters into the next lower brick, A is marked with an O. The brick below A (call it Z) is not marked.

Similarly for rising prices.

So, the actual price is inside the box below the lowest filled box (when price is falling ,ie column of Os)

and

the actual price is inside the box above the topmost filled box when price is rising.

findvikas,
Your Excel spreadsheet that calculates PnF charts is amazing. In your next update of your spreadsheet, could you include the Wyckoff Method of the PnF calculations. I found a good video explaining PnF charts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTVejaFTFJk

The Wyckoff Method

The Wyckoff method is a special type of point & figure chart. It uses a single box reversal instead of the more common three point reversal. It also varies from the standard point & figure chart because it can contain both Xs and Os in the same column. This will occur whenever there is only a single entry made in a column. For example if we had a single X in a column followed by 3 Os, the Os will be displayed in the same column as the X. In a Wyckoff chart there must always be more than one entry in a column.
Regards,
StockJock

Dear admin,

it looks like the link for downloading the excel file is broken, it will be a great help if you just send me a link or excel file. Hope you still read this. Thank you