please suggest where to invest?

hi im nikhil from noida. I want to invest in mutual funds. I can pay 5000 per month.but i have no idea which scheme to select. I went to sbi yesterday they suggested of to invest in
1 magnum equity fund
2 magnum multiplier plus
3 magnum emerging business fund.
(2000+1000+2000)
I searched these funds and found that funds have low rating on the netand site suggested indirectly not to buy these. Im a student and can pay 5000 every month.a friend of mine said to invest in hdfc funds but again he is no expert. That is why i came to this website for experts suggestions. Please suggest some good funds with high returns.1 year and 3 year plans is what i can afford but not more

Why do you want to put all your eggs in one basket?
Are there no other funds other than Magnum?

Go to valueresearchonline website and search for the five star rated funds. Take 2-3 funds from that list and invest. Try to spread your funds across different fund houses.

Select top performing Funds from top performing Mutual Funds. SOme good buy which i can recommend you:
1.Quantum Long term Equity Fund
2. HDFC Top 200
3. Fidelity Equity

Break you investments in 3 parts and start SIPing into these Mutual Funds.

This will be a good buy to your portfolio.

Although, all your investments depends upon your time horizon and your capacity to take risk.

So depending upon your risk appetite you should choose Mutual Funds.

I understand your dilemma of having less money and trying to diversify portfolio. However just because funds have magnum in name does not make them identical or duplicate. Magnum equity is large cap, multiplier plus is multicap and emerging is mid-cap. While magnum equity and multiplier is somewhat identical, emerging businesses is of different breed. Both magnum equity and emerging businesses are no less than best funds. Hence your choice of funds is good.

Having said this, if you are investing on monthly basis than go an sip way as it's easy for novice investors and does not required rocket science. Just some amount to invested via ECS/cheques/cash/broker to be deducted on a fixed date and amount is less than what it required for lumpsum investment starting from 500!

As for funds, have 40% in large cap preferbly dspbr 100 or franklin india bluechip, 20% in good mid-cap preferbly icici pru discovery or hdfc mid-cap opportinuties or emerging business and a multi-cap fund preferably hdfc equity or reliance equity opportunity and 20% in large and mid perferbly hdfc 200 or uti dividend yield and rest 20% in balanced fund like hdfc prudence or reliance regular balanced or hdfc balanced. All these funds are highly rated, have continue to show best returns in past 3-5 years. You can choose any 4 funds out of 4 different fund category and sip at different dates, large cap can be at end of the month, mid cap can be 1st week, balanced in mid month and multi can be 3rd week! Don't sip at same date, keep some gap between all 4.

Finally before choosing a fund check valueresearch site for fund details, portfolio and returns. Portfolio should be seen with due care as duplication of funds don't make sense. However fund managers keep changing portfolio often but if both had 2 similar stocks in thier portfolio it can be taken as both have same set of thinking hence they may change to same set of stocks in next cycle of change. Also don't buy funds of same mutual fund company like hdfc or sbi. Keep amc different too just like funds. Most people buy hdfc equity, hdfc 200, hdfc mid cap and hdfc prudence and get similer returns as they can have almost identical portfolio but same fund managers viz lathia, jain, setalvad and bamboli.