please help me in understanding about short sell?

I am a new to the options trading. I want to understand about the SHORT SELL of Nifty option indicies. is it possible to short sell ? please help me in understanding.

Thanks.

I am a new to the options trading. I want to understand about the SHORT SELL of Nifty option indicies. is it possible to short sell ? please help me in understanding.

Thanks.
short selling of option contract means writing an option , it can be a call or a put.
Doin that u will earn premium. i will explain u with example.

sell nifty 4600 AUG CE @ 110 , u will earn 50x110 Rs.
But at expiry if nifty is above 4600, u will have to suffer the loses accordingly.

short selling of option contract means writing an option , it can be a call or a put.
Doin that u will earn premium. i will explain u with example.

sell nifty 4600 AUG CE @ 110 , u will earn 50x110 Rs.
But at expiry if nifty is above 4600, u will have to suffer the loses accordingly.
Thanks Sameer for you reply..

Do you mean without buying any option lot, can we sell the option ? Is this supported by all the brokers? I am using sbi-demat account.

Thanks,

spiritunit

Sameer, should we have to wait till expiry or can we close our position at any time before expiry date?

Thanks Sameer for you reply..

Do you mean without buying any option lot, can we sell the option ? Is this supported by all the brokers? I am using sbi-demat account.

Thanks,
That is what short sell means- selling the thing which u dont own! sounds surprising but u sell at a price and have to cover it laters ( buy back).

If u short a stock whose price is at 50Rs. then u hav to buy it back on the same day.
If u feel that a price of stock will fall , u short it.

u sell first at a higher price and laters buy it at lower price. short selling is cash settled and there is no delivery of stocks.

In case of options , short sell or selling or writing an option can be done ,

and yes u can sell/write an option which u dont own.
But u hav to cover it ( square off ) before expiry or it will be forcefully exercised at expiry since u r obligated to do so.

If in SBI trading accnt, u hav facility to trade options , u must be able to write options aswell.
But u need to place a margin HOLD for that.

Thanks for the Question and Prompt Answer. However I am adding one link
detailing this:

http://www.daytradingshares.com/futures_and_options/learn_day_trading_options_call_put.html

I dont know much about this, that's why I have still a question; Is there any condition for short selling and as informed can we short sell and buy at a later date within expiry ? (Because once I incidentally sold a NIfty Call Option, without knowing on realtime and I could watch this only on seeing the contract note at night - when I checked there was a huge amount - around 21 K for the call option sold, though the premium was around 75 - 80 Rs. The next day i called my broker and he said i need to buy the same call on that day and I bought the same call at a reasonably low rate (Thank God !).

Could you pls. explore what are the conditions for short selling / short covering....