Please help me choose one fund out of these three.

In my portfolio which one of these Mid and small cap funds should I keep?
DSPBR Microcap reg, ICICI Pru Discovery, IDFC premier equity.
Over last three years, the returns had been: 4.2%, 14.5%, 7% resp.
Over last one year, returns are: 19%,16%,13% resp.
Beta values: 1.18, 1.01,0.93 resp
Alpha: 5.17, 13, 6.35.
DSPBR is five star rated by valueresearch, others are four star. But DSPBR also has the highest expense ratio.
I am puzzled by the returns quoted. Seems ICICI pru discovery is more consistent than the other two.
What is your suggestion?

Last edited:

If you purely go by risks indicators than 1 fund not listed here is good and at par or beats your choice funds, HDFC Equity Growth. Otherwise IPru Discovery is as you said more consitent.

asterix24

Hi Roy,

If your objective is to invest in Mid & Small cap funds, then ideally you can pick anyone over the other. DSPBR Microcap has delivered some fantastic numbers over past few years and looks to be a good bet. However, do note that they have some cap on AUM being under Rs. 500 crores which is very close (496 last I checked).

ICICI Pru Discovery is a very good and consistent fund and has not disappointed it's investors.

IDFC Premier Equity has been the star performer so to say and has been the talk of the town in this space. However, they have closed subscriptions (both lumpsum and SIP) and hence, I am not sure how you would be able to invest. However, someone recently told me that through a Kotak account they were able to invest and hence, please do check out this option.

Happy Investing !!

I have invested in both IDFC premier Equity Plan A and DSPBR Micro Cap through SIP. However, I invest twice as much in IDFC as in the Micro Cap.
Both are good funds.

Hi,
First of all this is quite a good time to invest in mid and small cap funds as they are already thrashed in markets :) (but do only SIP)

I agree with other people that IDFC is the best, but its subscriptions are closed (too bad)

I have been trying to search a mid cap fund for my self too, I have zeroed in to sundaram select midcap. Its returns are 7.3%(1 year), 6.29(3year), 16.8(5 year), 36.01(since inception 30-Jul-2002)

IDFC SIP returns for last 5 years 30.68% (CAGR)
Sundaram SIP returns for last 5 years 25.1% (CAGR)

I am not saying you buy it, just have a look.