pc win xp problems

@TP

Runing task manager is easy to say and to do. But you need to know what it shows. Frankly spoken and asked: Do you understand each line shown there?

Scan disk and defragmenting speeds up your system, but not solves the above mentioned problems.

Take care / DanPickUp
True about the task manager, but it's a first step. He can google for the processes shown, or ask here. The members may be in a better position to guide him.

DanPickUp

@Ivgandhi

As you told you did test this two steps:

1).Run last known good configuration by hitting f8 key while ur system boots.

2)Do system Restore.....from safe mode...start>programs>accessories>sytemtools>syste mrestore.

you do what you plan or you use the following tools as next steps:

RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program
Started by Grinler , Apr 09 2010 10:05 AM

This topic was created to provide a very brief introduction as to what RKill does and to provide a way for people to report false positives of processes that are terminated. Even though false positives may occur, this should not be considered a problem as you can always launch the programs again or reboot your computer as no files are removed by running RKill. This topic is not to be used as a support topic for removing malware. If you need help removing specific malware you can follow the steps here or ask in the Am I Infected? forum.

RKill is a program developed at BleepingComputer.com that was originally designed for the use in our virus removal guides. It was created so that we could have an easy to use tool that kills known processes and remove Windows Registry entries that stop a user from using their normal security applications. Simple as that. Nothing fancy. Just kill known malware processes and clean up some Registry keys so that your security programs can do their job.

So in summary, RKill just kills 32-bit and 64-bit malware processes and scans the registry for entries that would not allow you to run various legitimate programs. When scanning the Registry, Rkill will search for malicious Image File Execution Objects, DisallowRuns entries, executable hijacks, and policies that restrict your use of various Windows utilities. When changing Windows Registry entries it will create a backup of these entries and save them in the rkill folder on your desktop. Each registry backup will contain a time stamp so that the backups are not overwritten on subsequent runs of Rkill. For a list of changes in Rkill, please see the change log at the bottom of this post.

Since RKill only terminates processes and does not remove the offending files, when it is finished you should not reboot your computer. If you do, these malware processes that are set to start automatically, will just start up again. Instead, after running RKill you should scan your computer using your malware removal tool of choice. If there is a problem after running RKill, just reboot your computer and you will be back to where you started before running the program. Some great free tools that you can use to scan your computer after running RKill include MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, and Dr.Web CureIt.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...t-doesnt-a-brief-introduction-to-the-program/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

Edit: After every run of rkill you will get a report which tells you about the following things:

- Checking for Windows services to stop
- Checking for processes to terminate
- Checking Registry for malware related settings
- Performing miscellaneous checks
- Checking Windows Service Integrity
- Searching for Missing Digital Signatures
- Checking HOSTS File

Having all the above information can be very helpful in case you have a software problem. It can give you a hint what files in your system are broken or damaged.

Run also once the following malware program: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ It is easy to install and cleans deeply.

That's it for the moment / DanPickUp

DanPickUp

An other thing you can do, if you have admin rights, is to use: Autorun.exe . This is a very small, but indeed very informative tool to see what is going on in your sytem.

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

Autoruns' Hide Signed Microsoft Entries option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system and it has support for looking at the auto-starting images configured for other accounts configured on a system. Also included in the download package is a command-line equivalent that can output in CSV format, Autorunsc.

You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched automatically!

Use this link for the download: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

And here some more infos for the use of this small and powerfull tool: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server/autoruns

You should google all red and yellow market lines to find out what programs this are and If you can disable them.

Before I move on, if needed, I would like to know what you: Ivgandhi, have done as next steps from what you told you want to do and how it worked.

DanPickUp

Dan master, Plz help ..........My Firefox browser not working.........but Google chrome is ok.......But i like Firefox.......my os xp service pack 2.........Problem is when i click it's not opening.......

DanPickUp

Dan master, Plz help ..........My Firefox browser not working.........but Google chrome is ok.......But i like Firefox.......my os xp service pack 2.........Problem is when i click it's not opening.......
@Rajgreenpeace

First uninstall your firefox browser with Revo Uninstaller: http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/revo_uninstaller,1.html

Then clean up your system with CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

After that instal XP service pack 3. It is really no problem. Just download the file from here under (Click here): http://www.softwarepatch.com/includes/download.php?page=windows&slug=windows-xp-service-pack-3&id=46 and now install that stuff. That is absolute no work and no problem.

Now download the latest Firefox.exe: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ and install it. That should do the job in dept and you finally have an XP update you should have done years ago.:)

DanPickUp

lvgandhi

bhai, if u have spare mouse just check your mouse, (change/replace with a spare mouse and see)

some times hardware malfunction also cause strange problems.:)

with cheers,
narayan.
once windows button is pressed, then mouse works with out any problem. With out that, even IE does not work.

lvgandhi

@Ivgandhi

As you told you did test this two steps:

1).Run last known good configuration by hitting f8 key while ur system boots.

2)Do system Restore.....from safe mode...start>programs>accessories>sytemtools>syste mrestore.

you do what you plan or you use the following tools as next steps:

RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program
Started by Grinler , Apr 09 2010 10:05 AM

This topic was created to provide a very brief introduction as to what RKill does and to provide a way for people to report false positives of processes that are terminated. Even though false positives may occur, this should not be considered a problem as you can always launch the programs again or reboot your computer as no files are removed by running RKill. This topic is not to be used as a support topic for removing malware. If you need help removing specific malware you can follow the steps here or ask in the Am I Infected? forum.

RKill is a program developed at BleepingComputer.com that was originally designed for the use in our virus removal guides. It was created so that we could have an easy to use tool that kills known processes and remove Windows Registry entries that stop a user from using their normal security applications. Simple as that. Nothing fancy. Just kill known malware processes and clean up some Registry keys so that your security programs can do their job.

So in summary, RKill just kills 32-bit and 64-bit malware processes and scans the registry for entries that would not allow you to run various legitimate programs. When scanning the Registry, Rkill will search for malicious Image File Execution Objects, DisallowRuns entries, executable hijacks, and policies that restrict your use of various Windows utilities. When changing Windows Registry entries it will create a backup of these entries and save them in the rkill folder on your desktop. Each registry backup will contain a time stamp so that the backups are not overwritten on subsequent runs of Rkill. For a list of changes in Rkill, please see the change log at the bottom of this post.

Since RKill only terminates processes and does not remove the offending files, when it is finished you should not reboot your computer. If you do, these malware processes that are set to start automatically, will just start up again. Instead, after running RKill you should scan your computer using your malware removal tool of choice. If there is a problem after running RKill, just reboot your computer and you will be back to where you started before running the program. Some great free tools that you can use to scan your computer after running RKill include MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, and Dr.Web CureIt.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...t-doesnt-a-brief-introduction-to-the-program/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

Edit: After every run of rkill you will get a report which tells you about the following things:

- Checking for Windows services to stop
- Checking for processes to terminate
- Checking Registry for malware related settings
- Performing miscellaneous checks
- Checking Windows Service Integrity
- Searching for Missing Digital Signatures
- Checking HOSTS File

Having all the above information can be very helpful in case you have a software problem. It can give you a hint what files in your system are broken or damaged.

Run also once the following malware program: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ It is easy to install and cleans deeply.

That's it for the moment / DanPickUp
Thanks. Will try and come back.
However I want to say that mwav.exe could not help. As per scanning nothing was bad.
But still problem persists. However as I said pressing once windows button removes all these problems.
Even in safe mode starting, start button flickers and does not open.

DanPickUp

Thanks. Will try and come back.
However I want to say that mwav.exe could not help. As per scanning nothing was bad.
But still problem persists. However as I said pressing once windows button removes all these problems.
Even in safe mode starting, start button flickers and does not open.
@Ivgandhi

I could now post more software tools you could use, but that seems to be useless, as at least one of the steps you did try unitl now should have brought any improvement. As you told, that you even tried the restore tool and that gave no improvement of the situation, then you have to think now what you will do as next step.

Will you try further steps from Jahans post or will you go to an IT shop and tell them your problem or will you make a complete new installation of the whole system over the weekend, as you any way once a year should make a whole clean up of your hard disk and install the system new or from a back up you have from your first installed system?

If you know how to do a complete new installation, in case you do not have such a back up mentioned above, make this time a drive C for the system, a drive D for your documents, a drive E for the system backup and a drive F for what ever may comes. Easy to do with any installation CD from Windows.

DanPickUp