Owning an Index ETF or Index mutual fund, Which is costly?

Owning an Index ETF or Index mutual fund, Which is costly?

When my invested money in the fund reaches Rs.50,00,000/- (Rupees Fifty Lakh only), at this point which of the following two schemes become more costlier than the other to maintain year after year.

SBI Nifty Index Fund (Mutual Fund)
and
SBI - ETF Nifty 50 (Exchange Traded Fund)

I am of an impression that a typical Demat & Trading account would only charge Rs.500/- approximately as annual maintenance charges. But with an Expense Ratio of 0.28%, the Mutual Fund house (in this case SBI MF) may charge 50,00,000 * 0.28% which is Rs.14000 per annum on SBI Nifty Index Fund (Mutual Fund).

I attached the Total Expense Ratio (TER) sheets of both the above two schemes and to my surprise I saw there is no TER mentioned for the "ETF" category.
(obtained from https://www.sbimf.com/en-us/disclosure/total-expense-ratio-of-mutual-fund-schemes)

In such case is buying and retaining ETF (SBI - ETF Nifty 50) cheaper in comparison to owning the mutual fund (SBI Nifty Index Fund)?

thanks in advance
RAM

Attachments

bpr

MF is always costly than ETF.
But imagin buying 50,00,000 in ETF with very less liquidty ...you have to manage multiple orders slippage and what not??
In MF no such hedache..

Also the SBI nifty ETF launched with ZERO TER to attract liquidity but it now around 0.11 or something but it will always remain better than MF cost wise

Last edited:
MF is always costly than ETF.
But imagin buying 50,00,000 in ETF with very less liquidty ...you have to manage multiple orders slippage and what not??
In MF no such hedache..

Also the SBI nifty ETF launched with ZERO TER to attract liquidity but it now around 0.11 or something but it will always remain better than MF cost wise
Is it possible to find out the expense ratio of both of them from a trust-able source? I already dropped an email to sbi but haven't received any reply.

siddhant4u

Well-Unknown Member
what it shows is, over 3 years the difference between returns is 3%. Thus one is costing more to hold by avg 1% (or 0.8% something)
As an investor I am looking at a very long term comparison, more than 30 to 40 years, but both the schemes started somewhere in early 2000s I believe.