Option assignment

rkkarnani

Can we have a discussion in detail regarding Option Assignment and how is it done.,for the benifit of all members .....
Dont think there is much to discuss. Once an option holder opts for exercising his Call or Put, the Exchange 'assigns' it to an Option seller on Random basis. The Seller against whom the option is assigned is 'computer generated'.

AW10

Settlement of Option assignment does not depend on current mkt premium/price of option.It uses the strike price and End of Day settlment price (which is generally the daily closing price of the underlying stock).

So when call holder of 100 strike price, excercises his rights to buy the stock at 100 Rs., the seller has obligation to give him stocks at 100 Rs. If he already has stocks in DMAT then it can paid directly. Else, he has to buy underlying stocks from mkt by paying CMP of 105 and give it to option buyer at 100 rs. and taking loss of 5 Rs.

Question is - will the call holder excercise his 100 strike option when CMP is 105. Because he has already 10rs for this call, then it makes sense for him to excercise only when CMP goes above 110. He would be better off sqauaring off the option at 12 and book profit of 2 Rs. rather then taking the delivery at 100 rs.

In general, if option CMP has any time value in it, it is better to square off the option and collect time permium that mkt is giving to that option. Excercise makes sense only when there is no more time premium left. (eg. in above example 105 option selling at 12, has 5 rs of real value and 7 rs of time value. Only a novice trader will make a mistake of loosing that 7rs of time value and excercise this option.).

In India, option excercise is Cash settled so there will be only debit/credit entries in your acct. It doesn't require any DMAT transaction. In US mkt, you would see the stocks entry in your trading acct as a result of option excercise/ assignment.

Another important factor comes is the type of option - American or European. American types of options can be excercised anytime but European option can be excercised only on expiry date.

Happy Trading

i want to know about options.....can anybody tell me from where i can purchase options.
what are the requirements for options investment?

bupeb

Traderji.com - Discussion forum for Stocks Commodities & Forex - Reply to Topic

Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I want to put in writing like this moreover taking time and actual effort to make a very good article but what can I say I procrastinate alot and not at all seem to get something done.