Opinions on FundsIndia and New India Portfolio

Hey! I was considering entering the investing game through investing in mutual funds. A friend recommended FundsIndia as a platform to start. I visited their website and it mentioned the New India Portfolio. Figured I would ask around on some forums and gather some opinions from more experienced investors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TracerBullet

Hey! I was considering entering the investing game through investing in mutual funds. A friend recommended FundsIndia as a platform to start. I visited their website and it mentioned the New India Portfolio. Figured I would ask around on some forums and gather some opinions from more experienced investors. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I dont know about their Execution platform itself but the advise from fundsindia in their free blog is great. So if you are going to use a distributor then use them.

However, i would suggest that you consider investing Directly if you dont need their advise or if you can manage with good websites like value research, morningstar.in or fundsindia blog itself. value research has a yearly MF yearbook for ~500 that can also help you to narrow down on your funds list.

I say this because the expense difference will make a big difference in a long term portfolio. See here, here and here

Thanks for the advice TracerBullet, much appreciated! I don't really think I'm ready right now for direct investing. What about other agents for MF transactions? Or is FundsIndia the best choice for someone like me? Also, Do you have any opinions on the New India Portfolio as a starting investment?

TracerBullet

Thanks for the advice TracerBullet, much appreciated! I don't really think I'm ready right now for direct investing. What about other agents for MF transactions? Or is FundsIndia the best choice for someone like me? Also, Do you have any opinions on the New India Portfolio as a starting investment?
If you have decided to use agents, ill say go with fundsindia. For first time i see a distributor that is actually trying to give genuine service. Most people in financial industry are just trying to sell whatever gives them best commission. Do note that i dont have direct experience of their platform.

I dont know what they have in NIP as i dont invest with them, but their (free) recommendations are good.

I would advise you to get in touch with them to create portfolio for your needs and periodically check with them if you get doubts.
Also, ill say to hold equity portfolio atleast for next 5 years and try to use SIP / STPs.