Numismatic (coins and notes) investment

Mr.G

I have a business where we handles alot of cash everyday, maybe I can depute my employees to find and keep these notes for me! I could start a whole business! But I dont have anyone to sell these too :(

I have a business where we handles alot of cash everyday, maybe I can depute my employees to find and keep these notes for me! I could start a whole business! But I dont have anyone to sell these too :(
Mr G
good that your business handles a lot of cash, then let you first try for a week or two, and post here how much notes you get of such numbers, and I think you will get buyers too, when you have such notes and that is for sure that you will get some premium over the face value. How much, that will depend on the requirement of the collector of such notes and the condition of such notes, as such notes are preferred only of very good condition.

Mr.G

Mr G
good that your business handles a lot of cash, then let you first try for a week or two, and post here how much notes you get of such numbers, and I think you will get buyers too, when you have such notes and that is for sure that you will get some premium over the face value. How much, that will depend on the requirement of the collector of such notes and the condition of such notes, as such notes are preferred only of very good condition.
I sell petrol at two places. So we have transporters who give us whole rolls of newly issued series notes and we also run CNG so we get coins too.

BUT I certainly dont have buyers. Dont know to who and how I should sell. If anyone can extend guidance in this regard. I dont know what is in demand and what all I should be looking for. I can instruct my salesmen and managers to keep a look out for such notes.

I sell petrol at two places. So we have transporters who give us whole rolls of newly issued series notes and we also run CNG so we get coins too.

BUT I certainly dont have buyers. Dont know to who and how I should sell. If anyone can extend guidance in this regard. I dont know what is in demand and what all I should be looking for. I can instruct my salesmen and managers to keep a look out for such notes.
So, I can understand that you are handling a huge numbers of notes and coins also. As far as notes are concerned, look for the numbers 111111, 222222 and similar, or ending with 786, as a community has a fancy for these numbers but I must say that it wont be an easy job. You may get price more than the actual value, may be much more, but IMO, may not the time money value if you involve your staff, particularly to sort notes for this purpose.

As far as coins are concerned, what to select, a simple test, take a fistful of coins and you will find most of the coins (of one denomination) are same and only a few may be 5-10% are different, may have some place, some renowned person image and such, these are/could be commemorative coins, now a days available mainly in 5 R coins, but may be available in any denomination, particularly of old series coins. Here I may add that such coins will have some collectors value only after they cease to be in circulation, may be 10/15 or 20 years. Because why a collector will give you 10 R for a 5 R coin, when he can get it in daily circulation.

And lastly it will not be easy to make money in this type of notes and coins business in a short period of time as all these things gain value/become valuable/or of some value in a long period of time as mentioned above.

You can get buyers from coins and notes collector, dealers, exhibitors, auctioneers etc.etc. and more, that you will know when you will be in this business

Last edited:

XUV-500

@ Nifty- Option and exceltrader bhai
Can you tell how much commemorative coins appreciated those minted during 1990-2000.
Well, i understand that it should be taken as a hobby. And currently price discovery is in hands of buyer's.
As a GK i want to ask.

niftyoption

@ Nifty- Option and exceltrader bhai
Can you tell how much commemorative coins appreciated those minted during 1990-2000.
Well, i understand that it should be taken as a hobby. And currently price discovery is in hands of buyer's.
As a GK i want to ask.

XUV-500 ,

5 rupee 2nd International crop science congress:C Mint
The 5 rupee coin of the international crop science congress. This international conference was to be held in 1996 and a large quantity of these commemorative coins were to be minted, but for some reason the conference got canceled and never happened. So the mintage of these coins was halted in between. As a result, only 11,000 such coins were minted.

it went in a auction nearly 2.5 lakh rupees
now its value around 20000 rupees

value nearly 13000 rs

18000-20000 rs

25000 rupees

14000 rs

5000 rs

10000 rs

9000 - 10000

6000 -10000

niftyoption

moneywise sir ,

166666 and 222221 are fancy notes ....it has some value less than 666666 and 222222 but if you made set like this value will be more

ex: from 122222 to
199999 or

(note numbers)
5 rupees note 166666
10 rupees note 166666
20 rupees note 166666
50 rupees note 166666
100 rupees note 166666
500 rupees note 166666
1000 rupees note 166666

complete set value will be more
or fancy notes collect like this

XUV-500

@ Option bhai
Dandi yatra 75 years- the pic you posted is of currency note or commemorative coin ?

Is 5000 Rs is value of coin ? Which denomination coin and mint.
I have such coin.

Last edited:
@ NiftyOption
You posted prices for many different coins. What variety of coins (and also which denomination) will fetch this much price. UNC, Proof or the normal one (of daily circulation, though may not be available now) and of which mint.

@ Option bhai
Dandi yatra 75 years- the pic you posted is of currency note or commemorative coin ?

Is 5000 Rs is value of coin ? Which denomination coin and mint.
I have such coin.
Dandi Yatra coin. I remember this coin was minted some years ago, perhaps in 1 Re and/or/or both 2 Rs denomination. Which variety do you have UNC, Proof or from normal circulation. Did you buy it from a mint, if not then only collector value.

For general information for all coin lovers/collectors, I may add that only coins bought from a Mint (or from a dealer) of UNC and Proof variety is of numismatic value and if collected from the normal circulation, then it is only of collector/hobbyist value. Further FYI, mint sells these varieties of coins (UNC and Proof) at a very high premium.