Numismatic (coins and notes) investment

Riskyman

My interest in coins was sparked when as a kid, digging under a tree (for no reason) I found a old coin belonging to some Raja's.... Still have it now with me....

My skepticism about coin collecting started while waiting for a friend near VT station, I was watching a guy selling old coins on the footpath.... I was just observing him from a distance as I had nothing else to do. And then another person came by, and emptied a bagful of very old coins (from appearance would seem to be atleast 100 years old) These were aged.... and were sold in 100's.... to the retail guy. Realized these are fakes reproduced by counterfeiters and sold on the streets of Mumbai.... Unless one is knowledgeable and has studied coin collection, the person can be cheated by many fakes....

Just my 2C.
Seen similar stuff happening outside a very famous Shiva temple near nashik. Lost whatever little curiosity I had after that.

niftyoption

My interest in coins was sparked when as a kid, digging under a tree (for no reason) I found a old coin belonging to some Raja's.... Still have it now with me....

My skepticism about coin collecting started while waiting for a friend near VT station, I was watching a guy selling old coins on the footpath.... I was just observing him from a distance as I had nothing else to do. And then another person came by, and emptied a bagful of very old coins (from appearance would seem to be atleast 100 years old) These were aged.... and were sold in 100's.... to the retail guy. Realized these are fakes reproduced by counterfeiters and sold on the streets of Mumbai.... Unless one is knowledgeable and has studied coin collection, the person can be cheated by many fakes....

Just my 2C.
DSM ji,

you are correct ....road side selling is always fake ....coin recognition is also required knowledge ....dont buy any coins like that it is waste of money ....dont go for silver coins first ....start with available in present day coins and make a set of them like that ex: Indian republic 5 rupees coins around 56 approx , 10 coins are rare ....collect with available coins and make a set value will be increased ..... fact is liquidity is low .....but if any rare coin you will get high liquidity in world wide demand

ex:

The Original coin issued: Mahatma Gandhi Ji 10 Ruppes Coin (Rare Coin)

This coin was issued with the metallic composition - Silver Alloy ( Silver-80%+Cupper-20%)

Fake coin

SOURCE :INTERNET

DSM

Dear NiftyOption,

You seem to be very knowledgable about the subject... and know genuine from fake. There is a program on History Channel called Pawn Stars, which I watch because there is so much history to learn.... In the TV show, people come to sell collectible stuff.... some rare books, coins, and articles of historical value sells for hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. One rare book in one of the episodes was valued at US$ 40,000 and bought by the shop for US$ 24,000!!! Unfortunately, in our country there is less interest in the subject - so thanks for starting the thread!! :clap::clap::clap:

DSM ji,

you are correct ....road side selling is always fake ....coin recognition is also required knowledge ....dont buy any coins like that it is waste of money ....dont go for silver coins first ....start with available in present day coins and make a set of them like that ex: Indian republic 5 rupees coins around 56 approx , 10 coins are rare ....collect with available coins and make a set value will be increased ..... fact is liquidity is low .....but if any rare coin you will get high liquidity in world wide demand

ex:

The Original coin issued: Mahatma Gandhi Ji 10 Ruppes Coin (Rare Coin)

This coin was issued with the metallic composition - Silver Alloy ( Silver-80%+Cupper-20%)

Fake coin

SOURCE :INTERNET

niftyoption

RARE INDIAN REPUBLIC COINS (RECENT YEARS)

5 RUPEES CROSS COIN

2 rupee: Indian Air Force platinum jubilee

The Indian Air Force ( Bhartiya Vāyu Senā) is the air arm of the armed forces of India. Its primary responsibility is to secure Indian airspace and to conduct aerial warfare during a conflict. It was officially established on October 8, 1932 as an auxiliary air force of the Indian Empire and the prefix Royal was added in 1945 in recognition of its services during the World War II. After India achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1947, the Royal Indian Air Force served the Union of India, with the prefix being dropped when India became a republic in 1950.

2004 MINT 1 RUPEE CROSS COIN (VERY RARE COIN)

Last edited:

niftyoption

After 20 years, RBI to put Rupee 1 note into circulation

One rupee notes are all set to come back into circulation as the government has decided to restart printing the currency after more than two decades.

"The Reserve Bank of India will soon put in circulation currency notes in one rupee denomination. The notes will be printed by the Government of India," Reserve Bank said in a statement today.

In November 1994, printing of one rupee note was stopped mainly due to higher cost and for freeing capacity to print currency notes of higher denomination.

Printing of two and five rupee notes too were discontinued in 1995. Since then, only coins have been issued for these denominations. Older notes are still in circulation and remain legal tender.

niftyoption

Haven't seen these in circulation so far.. how does one acquire them ?
TP Bhai ,

these are new notes printed in 2015
from mint but in mint you have to take large quantity, so through bank acquire note bundle is easy ....

niftyoption

I just checked.. I seem to have given away most of my small notes. Only a few left. This one was interesting, the number of 19 7 19.

and I have a few signed by Manmohan Singh.
This is not rare but manmohan singh signature is having some demand ...in my view its value is around 10 rupees per note
but 19 7 19 note number is some thing better but not that much fancy note
but keep it with you ....

fancy numbers like 000001 , 000002 .....and like 111111 ,222222 ,.....999999 like that numbers are valuable ...
if you find any specialty in number or in other issues like print mistakes are also valuable .....

Last edited:

niftyoption

ERROR NOTE

CUTTING OR PRINTING ERROR NOTE

CUTTING AND PRINTING WITH TAIL NOTES (VERY COSTLY)

WITHOUT FLAG PRINTING ERROR IN 50RUPEES NOTE