Non-failures

Please note that this is a quote & not from my original pen. Another brain stimulant & morale-booster for the week ahead......... :)

QUOTE..

Very often we go through life thinking we are worthless. We look at others who are tall, handsome or beautiful, look at ourselves in the mirror and shudder. Sometimes there are also people around who say things that make us feel this way. To such as you do I bring these two lovely stories: Read them and then tell me whether you feel the same way:

A water bearer in China had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole, which he carried around his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.

Every day at the end of the long walk from the stream where the water bearer filled the two pots, the cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering one and a half pots of water to his house.

Of course the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do. It also felt it was letting down its master who in spite of its fault carried it painstakingly everyday from the stream to his house.

After two years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it gathered up courage to speak to the water bearer one day by the stream. I am ashamed of myself because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house, it cried.

The bearer smiled and touched the pot lovingly, Did you notice there are flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pots side? he asked. Thats because I have always known of your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your particular side, so that everyday while we walk back you water them!

For two years I have been able to pick those beautiful flowers to decorate the table. And those flowers make our home so cheerful and *** everyday. Without you being the way you are, there would never have been such beauty outside on the path and in my home!

Heres the second little story:

A well known speaker held up a five hundred rupee note. In the room of two hundred people he asked, Who would like this 500 note? Hands started going up and he said, I am going to give this note to one of you but first let me do this, and he proceeded to crumple the note up. He then asked, Who still wants it? All the hands were up in the air. Well, he said, what if I do this? and he dropped the note onto the floor and ground it with his shoe. He picked it up, dirty and crumpled, Now who still wants it? The same hands were up.

My friends, said the well known speaker, even in life when we get dropped and crumpled and grounded into the dirt we will never lose our value!

Now my dear readers, put your chin up and head straight, and with a smile on your face, face another week with cheer and confidence, if you are like that cracked pot or crumpled note, you have every reason to go forth with joy..!

..UNQUOTE

AMITBE

Great little tales of human character and spirit, Jaideep.
The one with the cracked water pot is so lyrical and melodic in its essence...beautiful, almost like a Zen story.
And the second one so austere and and filled with the earthy truth that should never be lost sight of.
Thanks for the ongoing flow of these beautiful nuggets of wisdom and simple truths, Jaideep.
It's such a pleasure...this forum.
:)

Last edited:
AMITBE said:
Great little tales of human character and spirit, Jaideep.
The one with the cracked water pot is so lyrical and melodic in its essence...beautiful, almost like a Zen story.
And the second one so austere and and filled with the earthy truth that should never be lost sight of.
Thanks for the ongoing flow of these beautiful nuggets of wisdom and simple truths, Jaideep.
It's such a pleasure...this forum.
:)
Just sharing some warmth here Amit. Your post itself warms the cockles of my heart. :) Talking of Zen (another topic for another day), the first tale is a prose adaptation of a Zen narrative.

Cheers & regards.